Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these guys just give chemo? What are some other things they do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hematologists manage blood diseases (leukemias, thalassemias, and many less well known diseases)

Oncologists manage cancer patients. Yes, they give the chemo, but they all manage cancer patients in general: complications, chronic illnesses,etc basically acting as a specialized primary care physcian to these patients.

Anybody else have input on this?

allendo said:
Do these guys just give chemo? What are some other things they do?

Hem part has quite some diseases like anemia, plt problems etc.

Onc part mostly chemo, and some radiation therapy. Yes, if you are interested, you do can very good research, clinical trials.

Members don't see this ad :)
shala said:
Hem part has quite some diseases like anemia, plt problems etc.

Onc part mostly chemo, and some radiation therapy. Yes, if you are interested, you do can very good research, clinical trials.

Radiation therapy is exclusively the job of a radiation oncologist which is a totally separate residency.

I have no idea what an oncologist can do besides give chemo.

jpro said:
Radiation therapy is exclusively the job of a radiation oncologist which is a totally separate residency.

Administering the therapy is done entirely by the rad onc, however the general course of one's cancer treatment is decided by the heme/onc (or if at a big place, the tumor board). Thus, while the rad onc will manage the radiation and dosing, the overall treatment will generally be managed by the heme/onc in conjunction with chemotherapy, antimicrobial management, etc.

What is interesting is what a lot of targeted therapies are monoclonals carrying a radioactive or otherwise cytotoxic payload, and these treatments are generally managed by heme/oncs.

jpro said:

Kind of like saying I have no idea what a non-invasive cardiologist can do except Rx heart meds; or I have no idea of what a GS can do except heal with stainless steel. I mean isn't that the point?

Hi guys, I was wondering what the lifestyle of just being a hematologist would be like? I was interested earlier in being an onc/heme doc but the oncologist/cancer researcher lifestyle sounds a little too stressful despite being rewarding. I've shadowed onc/hemes during my first year of med school and the oncology part kind of steered me away from it. I'm also personally more interested in just doing the hematology part. Anyone have any ideas about heme? Thanks.

hey all....i am curious about heme/onc mostly because i do not know much about the field in a practical sense....from my very limited knowledge, i have heard that onc takes care of the pts post chemo, which is done by rad onc...heme (obviously) takes care of the HEMAtological diseases...but the main question i have is how is the lifestyle of a heme/onc doc? is it as "cushy" as GI? And what about the pay? I am guessing its around 200k. Would that be a reaosnable assumption? Lastly, can a heme/onc doc practice BOTH heme and onc, or do they usually end up doing 1 or the other?

thanks and your input is greatly appreciated!