Hematology/Oncology Fellowship 2023-2024 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acknowledgment from University of Washington

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for Faculty and Fellows: Do you recommend reaching out to programs by email to express your genuine interest? I have heard mixed opinions from people. I'm torn about this as I have been on the other side, receiving lots of emails from residency applicants and it can get a little tedious.

Do PDs read those emails or just get annoyed and ignore them?

Would appreciate your input.

Not terribly moved either way by these e-mails (i.e. neither get annoyed nor does it really change my opinion).

The biggest X-factor is word of mouth or someone in the field that I know (and trust) personally contacting me to vouch for an applicant. That I take *very* seriously.

Is there any spreadsheet for this year. If so thn how do I access it or pls share a link

Did any one get waitlisted at University of Florida ? wondering if this is a polite rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the thread!
Non-US IMG here, scores: step 1 249/235/no step 3, publications 20+, applied to 90 programs, requiring J1 visa sponsorship, currently in IM residency in uni affiliated hospital (not top ones)
Have 3 rejections from Chapel Hill, U of Florida and Buffalo, and only one interview (Kentucky)
I can see that things have gotten more and more competitive so not sure what I can do in case I don't match..Visa is def restricting :/

To those who are feeling depressed with the limited number of interviews, just bear in mind that many of the programs still receive applications and they tend to send out invitations in early September.. let's not lose hope !

Reactions: 1 users
The spreadsheet is no longer working does anyone know why or how to fix it?

The spreadsheet is no longer working does anyone know why or how to fix ti

UNMC ( Univ. Of Nebraska Medical Center) Interview date exchange
Anyone wants to exchange interview date of Oct 13 with any of the remaining Interview dates?
Kindly dm me ASAP.

Thanks for the thread!
Non-US IMG here, scores: step 1 249/235/no step 3, publications 20+, applied to 90 programs, requiring J1 visa sponsorship, currently in IM residency in uni affiliated hospital (not top ones)
Have 3 rejections from Chapel Hill, U of Florida and Buffalo, and only one interview (Kentucky)
I can see that things have gotten more and more competitive so not sure what I can do in case I don't match..Visa is def restricting :/
hospitalist or oncology hospitalist is a good gig, lots of place that need you, and you can also consider 3 yr contract to get your green card (J1 waiver, really depends on your current nationality in terms of practically how long to wait ). In the meanwhile, get to know some program, get some top research, therefore oncology hospitalist in academic center is better.
But believe yourself that you will match

Is there a general list/ranking of heme/onc fellowship programs? Just to know whats within my reach and what is not

if you talk about general ranking of program, the annual match sheet can provide you some info to start

Henry Ford Health vs. Wayne State DMC?

Can anyone offer insight as to which program or hospital is better? They seemed pretty comparable based on the interviews. Thanks

Henry Ford Health vs. Wayne State DMC?

Can anyone offer insight as to which program or hospital is better? They seemed pretty comparable based on the interviews. Thanks
I can only comment from a "reputation" perspective and would call them essentially equivalent, and just fine.

Hey everyone, could use a bit more advice-
How concerning is it if a program is on probation?
I interviewed at a pretty well known university program. It has everything I need and is in an ideal location, but during the interview, they mentioned that the program was on probation (for not having as many educational conferences/lectures as they did in the past prior to COVID, and having a lot of primary team management).
It seems they've made drastic changes, including switching to a hospitalist based service for malig heme, changing the leadership completely, and the fellows seemed happy.
This program otherwise has everything I'm looking for, so I'm conflicted.

Would you say it's safe to still rank this program highly, or too many red flags? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I haven't applied this year but looking for inputs about programs. I hope it's ok to post on this thread. Any inputs on how UCSF-Fresno program is? Anyone that interviewed there or knows about the program that can shed summer light. I can't find much information on their website or in any forums

Hey everyone, could use a bit more advice-
How concerning is it if a program is on probation?
I interviewed at a pretty well known university program. It has everything I need and is in an ideal location, but during the interview, they mentioned that the program was on probation (for not having as many educational conferences/lectures as they did in the past prior to COVID, and having a lot of primary team management).
It seems they've made drastic changes, including switching to a hospitalist based service for malig heme, changing the leadership completely, and the fellows seemed happy.
This program otherwise has everything I'm looking for, so I'm conflicted.

Would you say it's safe to still rank this program highly, or too many red flags? Thanks! :)
This is a big red flag unless you seriously know for sure that the entire department was fired and replaced. It’s not easy to end up on probation and it would take a LOT of not giving a %{*} about feedback from your fellows to get there IMO

Btw you might as well name it to get some better opinions - there is only one Heme/Onc program in the country on probation at the moment per my google-fu (which in itself should say a lot).

This is a big red flag unless you seriously know for sure that the entire department was fired and replaced. It’s not easy to end up on probation and it would take a LOT of not giving a %{*} about feedback from your fellows to get there IMO

Btw you might as well name it to get some better opinions - there is only one Heme/Onc program in the country on probation at the moment per my google-fu (which in itself should say a lot).
It's actually surprisingly easy to get put on probation, especially if there's one area of glaring failure by the RRC's assessment. A program on probation who is open and honest about what the issues are and what their plan is to remediate it shouldn't be a red flag. Certainly worth considering, especially in light of the overall program quality/reputation/history.

As an example, the year I applied to IM, Univ of Washington IM was on probation. It was for a combination of lecture/conference deficiencies like this program and women's health clinic opportunities (a large proportion of residents did all their outpatient training at the VA at the time). During the interview dat, the PD addressed it head on, stated the issues and outlined the remediation plan. As you are certainly aware, the UW IM program hasn't shut down in the last 2 decades.

Any books/resources to buy as an incoming fellow? Is there a HARRISON'S version for heme-onc that everyone uses? I've got residency educational funds to burn.

Any books/resources to buy as an incoming fellow? Is there a HARRISON'S version for heme-onc that everyone uses? I've got residency educational funds to burn.
Do people still use Harrison's for IM? Serious question.

If you've got money to burn, hemeoncquestions.com has a 3 year subscription for $60. You can also get ASCO-SEP or ASH-SAP, but they may be outdated by the time you need them. Your new program may also provide them for you.

• Love

If you've got money to burn, hemeoncquestions.com has a 3 year subscription for $60. You can also get ASCO-SEP or ASH-SAP, but they may be outdated by the time you need them. Your new program may also provide them for you.
Not even at UAB (Harrison was medicine chair there). Well the intern who writes the best H&P on VA medicine service gets a free copy. I received zero copies.

This one takes me to a PayPal link for payment. That's legitimate right? Never used paypal before

This one takes me to a PayPal link for payment. That's legitimate right? Never used paypal before
HemeOnc Questions is legit. Site/software is a bit outdated but who can argue with the price.