Heme/Onc Fellowship Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway0699

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a recent grad from IM residency as of 06/2023. I took a hospitalist year (s) at an academic institution to apply for heme/onc fellowship. I decided a little late for heme/onc and am concerned about my research and ability to match in the 2024 cycle. In regards to my background, I am a US grad, and trained at a top 20 IM residency program.

Currently, I am working as a hospitalist at an academic institution. My research has been all over the place, with a mix of case reports, abstracts and posters with no publications, and as of recently I just submitted a small cancer abstract/poster project to a conference. Total of 15 research experiences with some cancer biology wet lab, but otherwise a hodgpodge of other things. Otherwise, limited ongoing active onc research which has been an ongoing process to establish at my new job. Other data includes AOA, Step 1 26x, step 2 CK 26x, step 3 24x. Wondering what are my realistic chances of matching into a mid-tier academic program two years out from residency? I would be open to going broadly. My concern is largely research based and wonder if it's worth applying in 2025 to spruce up my research though I realize it's also considered a red flag the further out from residency you are as you apply.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How is your relationship with your home program, and the program affiliated with wherever you are working now?

They both have very strong H/O programs. I'd definitely apply but I wouldn't say I'm the most competitive candidate regarding research prospects. I've met with the program director of my home program and am meeting with the one at my current hospital in a month. I was encouraged to build up more active research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply. T20 medicine residency and other stats will go a long way (honestly, the way ERAS is structured, most research experiences just look like a hodge podge of random stuff anyway). As long as there are no red flags, you're a shoo in. Two years out from residency... is not long at all lol. Most programs won't even take that into consideration honestly.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine. Apply broadly. There's a lot of good training programs out there - you don't need T20 research program to become a good clinical oncologist, though you will come out more prepared for clinical research if you go to an academic program with a year (or more) of dedicated research time.

Frankly, your chances are pretty good IMHO with your background although I would recommend applying to a few community programs as well.

Scores + pedigree + research experiences (pubs aren't that important given the former 2) should be enough for you to match somewhere for sure. "Mid-tier academic" is hit or miss since there's a real arms race in research for everything from med school to fellowship nowadays. It's also hard to define, since all programs are by definition academic in the teaching sense. And even some of the reputable names would be willing to overlook lack of publications if they got to tout a shiny residency name under your fellow profile.

Reactions: 1 user
Just apply. T20 medicine residency and other stats will go a long way (honestly, the way ERAS is structured, most research experiences just look like a hodge podge of random stuff anyway). As long as there are no red flags, you're a shoo in. Two years out from residency... is not long at all lol. Most programs won't even take that into consideration honestly.
I totally agree. You are from a top 20 IM program, unless you want a top10 hem/onc program, you will be match somewhere decently

US grad, Top 20IM residency, 260+ steps and you're worried about not matching? Even if you had zero research experience, my current fellowship program (NCI designated comprehensive cancer center) will take you in a heartbeat over at least half of the incoming fellow class for next year.

You have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
Quite honestly, the hardest thing you're going to come up against is people assuming you didn't match as a PGY3 based on your stats. Address your late conversion to hem/onc in your PS and move on. You'll be fine next year. I mean, don't limit your apps to just the T10 programs, but also don't skip any "top" programs you think you might be interested in.

I was an unconventional fellowship applicant and am now faculty at a mid-tier academic program. Your chances of matching are very good. I recommend networking with the programs where you did residency and where you’re currently working and a couple of mid-tier programs that you’re strongly interested in before the application cycle formally starts.