Heme/Onc Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GopherBadger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried searching the IM threads for info on Heme/Onc, but have been able to find relatively little other than basic facts on residency length, salary, etc. I would love to hear any "insider info" about this specialty (especially info on pros/cons, lifestyle issues, etc.)
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

are you from minn/wisc?

I'm also interested in field. If anyone has any thoughts, please share.. I actually debating between Heme/Onc and RadOnc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Canadian,

I presume you're looking for residency up in Canada or ? Just FYI programs in canada will be either med onc or heme unlike in the US where the majority of programs are heme/onc combined. Rad onc is a whole separate ball game :)

S

thanks surfer75 for that info.

I was actually looking into US residencies, as I'm already attending med school down here. And because I read on this forum that match rate in rad onc is around 30%, I'm also looking into heme/onc.

If anyone has any info on the competitiveness of heme/onc fellowship, lifestyle, etc., it would be greatly appreciated.

If you look at the match rates for US grads in IM and then ultimately hem-onc or med-onc, you'll see that ~40% are filled by FMG's, which is a poor-man's measure of competitiveness. I'd say that unlike Rad-Onc, which has so few spots open each year (think 120-130 per year), med/hem-onc is relatively wide open for one who really has an interest. Your mileage may vary...