Hennepin Minneapolis versus UTSW Dallas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella turcica

cerebrogenesis imperfecta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds weird but I'm trying to figure it out. I have received interview invites from both of these programs but I don't know a lot about either. I have never been to Dallas or Minneapolis before. Forget about the weather, I'm just interested in what people know about the programs. They don't show resident rosters on their websites, so where do their residents come from? I would really like to know more about these programs if anybody cares to comment. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard for me to compare the two programs directly, as I don't know all that much about UTSW. On the plus side, it has warmer winters than Minneapolis.

As for the Hennepin-Regions program, I can say that I truly enjoyed my time training here. If you're looking for a solid foundation in community psychiatry, the program ought to meet or even exceed your expectations. If you're planning to attach yourself to a research powerhouse, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. I think that the residents (as a whole) are generally fairly happy and come from a number of different backgrounds (with both US and international medical graduates represented among each class). As might be expected, call is heaviest in the first year and tapers off nicely from there. Staff have the "Minnesota Nice" thing going for them, and most faculty are able to strike a comfortable balance between offering teaching points and helping residents gain confidence & autonomy in their decision-making processes. There is a new program director this year who, in addition to being a past graduate of the program, also seems to be bringing a lot of positive energy and enthusiasm to the table.

Aside from all that, the Twin Cities are truly a fantastic place to live, work, and play. As Garrison Keillor once put it, this is a place "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." And if that's not a winning combination, I don't know what is. ;-)

Good luck to you this interview season!

In MN, about a third of the year is intermittently cold and snowy. The other two-thirds is spectacular. OTOH, have you even been in TX in July?? To each their own, but I'll take my chances with a little wind-chill!

Beyond that--what Shrinking said...

my significant other would prefer the hot and gross city, I'd prefer the cold and snowy one. We might have to flip a coin on these two :D

Thanks for the feedback on the Hennepin program. It's really good to hear things like that. I'm less concerned about whether they have a couple of IMGs/etc or whether it's a research powerhouse. I'm far more concerned about how cohesive and helpful the PD/faculty/residents are. I'm also trying to find a program in a geographical area in which I'd actually stay afterward, in fact my initial criterion in picking programs was to rule in/out the cities. I have heard nothing but positive feedback on Mpls/St Paul, but I haven't heard much about Dallas except "the traffic sucks". :cool: