Henry's Law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the concept behind Henrys Law? What does it state exactly?

Also, are nonpolar molecules soluble in polar solutions?

Members don't see this ad.

dont know about henry's law but nonpolar should not be soluble in polar solutions in most cases...remember like dissolves like

I thought polar are stronger than nonpolar... so polar is able to rip apart nonpolar molecules...
and also doesnt nonpolar fat dissolve in water (weakly)?
Thanks

to my understanding polar bonds are stronger than nonpolar therefore they have properites like higher bp but i never really heard about them ripping nonpolar molecules apart....polar subtances do dissolve in polar and nonpolar do in nonpolar...very small nonpolar compounds can dissolve in water from what ive read but in general like dissolves like (oil and water not mixing)

Members don't see this ad :)

wow, just WOW.

1. Again, failing to use Wikipedia and Google.
2. Does oil LOOK LIKE it dissolves in water?
3. If you had even read the FIRST SENTENCE in wikipedia, you would realize this is about gas dissolution and partial pressures. Oh, its also in your EK, Kaplan book. I told you to buy one two days ago, did you listen?

Good luckk asking random questions on this forum and good luck scoring higher than 25.

Are nonpolar molecules soluble in polar solutions?

Polarity

A popular aphorism used for predicting solubility is "like dissolves like".[9] This statement indicates that a solute will dissolve best in a solvent that has a similar polarity to itself. This view is rather simplistic, since it ignores many solvent-solute interactions, but it is a useful rule of thumb. For example, a very polar (hydrophilic) solute such as urea is very soluble in highly polar water, less soluble in fairly polar methanol, and practically insoluble in non-polar solvents such as benzene. In contrast, a non-polar or lipophilic solute such as naphthalene is insoluble in water, fairly soluble in methanol, and highly soluble in non-polar benzene.[10]
Liquid solubilities also generally follow this rule. Lipophilic plant oils, such as olive oil and palm oil, dissolve in non-polar solvents such as alkanes, but are less soluble in polar liquids such as water.
Synthetic chemists often exploit differences in solubilities to separate and purify compounds from reaction mixtures, using the technique of liquid-liquid extraction.
Insolubility and spontaneous phase separation does not mean that dissolution is disfavored by enthalpy. Quite the contrary, in the case of water and hydrophobic substances, hydrophobic hydration is reasonably exothermic and enthalpy alone should be favor it. It appears that entropic factors — the reduced freedom of movement of water molecules around hydrophobic molecules — lead to an overall hydrophobic effect.

this is from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility#Polarity

wow, just WOW.

1. Again, failing to use Wikipedia and Google.
2. Does oil LOOK LIKE it dissolves in water?
3. If you had even read the FIRST SENTENCE in wikipedia, you would realize this is about gas dissolution and partial pressures. Oh, its also in your EK, Kaplan book. I told you to buy one two days ago, did you listen?

Good luckk asking random questions on this forum and good luck scoring higher than 25.

a lil harsh there dont you think?....