PhD HEOR/Pharmacoeconomics PhD and Work Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacoecon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very interested in HEOR/pharmacoeconomics and thinking about doing a PhD in the discipline when I finish up my undergraduate degree. Can someone studying HEOR at the moment or with more knowledge of the area tell me whether it is necessary to get work experience between undergraduate and PhD or whether going straight to the PhD is OK?

I know that work experience is not normally a requirement for PhD admissions – but would a PhD graduate without previous work experience be uncompetitive on the job market afterwards?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what the desired job is. But from my experience, the vast majority of PhD graduates enter graduate school directly from undergrad (or another master's degree) without any work experience. But in sciences, most people have no issue finding some sort of employment after completion of the PhD. That said, fewer and fewer people are going the academic route, but that's another topic for another day.

Good to hear. I would probably be looking at industry afterwards anyway (since that appears to be where most of the jobs are), so I am not wedded to academia.