hep a/b vaccinations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys! i am just now starting my hepa/b series as i hear you need these for med school along w/ the other standard vaccinations i'm pretty sure i already have.

i've seen that the dosage is at 0,1 and 6 months; so does that mean january, february and july? or is it six months after the 1 month, not initial dose?

thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is 6 months from when you start, but whoever administers the vacc for you can tell you for sure. You can finish the series after you've started med school if necesary.

if you don't want these shots then claim religious reasons. they can not ask you what religion.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 3rd dose for Hep B is 6 month after the initial dose.

Who here has had the Hep A series? I only got Hep B, but now I'm thinking that if I get a needle stick (probably likely since I want to go into surgery), I'll probably be wishing I had just gotten the Hep A shots.

Any thoughts?

I got the combined Hep A/B vaccination as it was only $15 more (for the series) than just the Hep B at the local health dept. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to get the A vaccine otherwise.

I don't think the Hep A is necessary. As I remember, it's only spread via fecal-oral, so it wouldn't be a problem with needle sticks (unlike Hep B & C). The only reason I had to get Hep A is b/c of international travel.

mojojojo said:
now I'm thinking that if I get a needle stick (probably likely since I want to go into surgery), I'll probably be wishing I had just gotten the Hep A shots.

Any thoughts?

You can't get Hep A from a needle stick. It is only transmitted through the fecal-oral route.

CANES2006 said:
You can't get Hep A from a needle stick. It is only transmitted through the fecal-oral route.
:thumbup: exactly. Of course if it is only one shot why not. If you decide to do some cool intl medicine you will already be covered!

thanks for the info guys! so is it not a big deal if you're still in the middle of completing the series when you start school? even though i don't think i'll have this problem. honestly, i would have no clue you even needed to do this if not for my MS3 significant other.

The timeline for the series is the minimum time between shots. In reality, you can get them whenever. You never have to re-start the series-3 lifetime shots is enough for most people. I waited four years between the 2nd and 3rd shots and I've got antibodies to show for it.

t33sg1rl said:
The timeline for the series is the minimum time between shots. In reality, you can get them whenever. You never have to re-start the series-3 lifetime shots is enough for most people. I waited four years between the 2nd and 3rd shots and I've got antibodies to show for it.
cool thanks, i just got my 3rd shot a year after the 2nd. glad i don't have to start over again!

I went to my local health department for my PPD and Varicella titer, and was told that a Hep B titer wouldn't show positive immunity unless it was taken a month after getting a vaccination (don't know if they meant the first ,second or third). I've never heard this before. Is it always true?