Hepatitis B Positive, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevwil90135

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for viewing my thread

So I just got a routine screening results back and found out that my test was positive for Hepatitis B surface antigen. Needless to say, I was devastated about this since I got accepted to a great dental school this year. The school I will be attending this fall requires HBV immunization (which I did when I was 7, so I might have gotten it from my mother by birth). Also, on the school's medical form, they listed a whole bunch of diseases and disorders (including HBV) that I need to answer whether I have had or currently having them. The school's website says nothing about a policy against HBV positive students/employees.

What should I do? Do I have to disclose that I have HBV?
Even if they accept me, would I be discriminated in dental school and prohibited from certain clinical practice ? Would I have problem obtaining license after graduation?
Most importantly, are dentists required to disclose to patients about their conditions? If they do, I'd probably have no patients at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated….

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you everyone for viewing my thread

So I just got a routine screening results back and found out that my test was positive for Hepatitis B surface antigen. Needless to say, I was devastated about this since I got accepted to a great dental school this year. The school I will be attending this fall requires HBV immunization (which I did when I was 7, so I might have gotten it from my mother by birth). Also, on the school's medical form, they listed a whole bunch of diseases and disorders (including HBV) that I need to answer whether I have had or currently having them. The school's website says nothing about a policy against HBV positive students/employees.

What should I do? Do I have to disclose that I have HBV?
Even if they accept me, would I be discriminated in dental school and prohibited from certain clinical practice ? Would I have problem obtaining license after graduation?
Most importantly, are dentists required to disclose to patients about their conditions? If they do, I'd probably have no patients at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated….

Ethically,you absolutely must disclose that you have Hep B, but yes, I think you will also be discriminated against in some way. A friend of mine from dental school was in the same position in school and the faculty was quite divided on what he should do. Some thought the the should keep to himself while others went so far as to advocate that he quit the profession on the spot. So unfortunately if you choose to continue I am afraid that this will always be a cloud hanging over your head.

Personally, I am not quite sure what to think myself. There is no denying, though, that having this condition would at least make your patients more prone to danger. Whatever you do, hope it works out for you.

Agreed with shunwei you have to tell them.

I think, however, that healthcare providers are no longer required to disclose hbv to their patients...but i would look that up...might even vary by state

Dentistry, especially, with its plethora of procedures involving sharp instruments and blood puts you at more risk

I was also under the notion that most people with hepB go to a remissive state with a very low potential for infectivity.

This is all stuff you'll want to figure out before you drop 30k on your first year's tuition.

Good luck.

Thank you both for your advice. I have been trying to figure out some options for me after graduation so that I wouldn't put anyone at risk. I was thinking about research, or orthodontics residency if I am lucky. thanks again