Here I am

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diamond2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here it is. I am currently a 2nd year at a Top 50 med school. Last summer, I had an internship with a few neurosurgeons at my school. The internship was research-based with alot of time in the OR. So far, three of my papers from the summer have been accepted for publication. Hopefully, more of them will be accepted. Now, here is the questioning part. Thus far I have acquired 4 P and 2 HP, no honors. I still have pathophysiology left and hopefully can nail that with an H.

Obviously, I hope to nail boards and 3rd year clinicals. Just some advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In my limited experience, you're fine so far. I think all you really have to be is above average. Publications and research are great, but they're not going to overcome a below-average Step 1, so that's the primary goal at this point.

Come back in a year, and you'll have a much clearer idea of where you stand.

Thanks. The plan right now is to do as well as possible on the boards. I'm doing Doctors in Training. Starting the process now with system-based breakdown. I have breaks planned out to prevent burnout. But hopefully, this plan works.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal impression is that it's too early to be studying for Step 1.

I didn't start studying for Step 1 until late in the spring - of course, I wasn't then (and am not now) the sort of person who would rather die than not match neurosurg. I get more and more attached the more I am exposed and the closer I get to ERAS season. I'd advocate my approach, but I suppose you can't really control it.

Ok, so here it is. I am currently a 2nd year at a Top 50 med school. Last summer, I had an internship with a few neurosurgeons at my school. The internship was research-based with alot of time in the OR. So far, three of my papers from the summer have been accepted for publication. Hopefully, more of them will be accepted. Now, here is the questioning part. Thus far I have acquired 4 P and 2 HP, no honors. I still have pathophysiology left and hopefully can nail that with an H.

Obviously, I hope to nail boards and 3rd year clinicals. Just some advice would be appreciated.

You're well ahead of the curve. You're from a well known med school and well ahead of the curve with so many pubs. This is all good. However, for neurosurgery its all about Step 1. If you don't meet a certain threshold your application goes right into the circular filing cabinet. Make that your absolute No. 1 priority no matter what field you match into. I too had excellent research credentials and whatnot, but my step 1 score hurt me when applying for residency.

Thanks! You guys are great! The boards do seem very far away, but I do know they will sneak up quickly.

does anyone know if Uncle Harvey is ever going to come back?