Here to help- NBDE tests, Caapid, or any other application doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much for all the valuable information, Gurjot ! Really appreciate it ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You're welcome Galaxy2105!

Hi Gurjot,
I have a few doubts about Caapid.
Will I need my original BDS degree certificate to apply for Caapid ? Will I also need a practicing liscence certificate of my state in India ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Gurjot,
I have a few doubts about Caapid.
Will I need my original BDS degree certificate to apply for Caapid ? Will I also need a practicing liscence certificate of my state in India ?
You do not need your BDS degree to apply to CAAPID but many colleges ask for it in their supplemental applications or after acceptance. I think only Columbia University asks for your license to practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Gurjot,
I have MDS in pediatric dentistry (GPA 3.5), BDS (GPA 3.84) from India, TOEFL 109, NBDE part 1 n 2 cleared, publications, cde programs n conferences, 5 months of observership in US but I dont hv PR or citizenship. I want to apply for DDS for 2015 cycle. Do I stand a chance for admission in UPenn? Ur help is highly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Gurjot,
I have MDS in pediatric dentistry (GPA 3.5), BDS (GPA 3.84) from India, TOEFL 109, NBDE part 1 n 2 cleared, publications, cde programs n conferences, 5 months of observership in US but I dont hv PR or citizenship. I want to apply for DDS for 2015 cycle. Do I stand a chance for admission in UPenn? Ur help is highly appreciated. Thanks
Hi,
Your stats are great! But truthfully there are a lot of other applicants like you in this process. The only thing that will set you apart from the other applicants is the impression you make on your interviewer.
One recommendation that I give everyone is to take professional help for your Personal statement. I feel the investment was worth it and many of the successful candidates have done the same. At the end of the day, our job is that of a dentist not an english major. I look forward to meeting you in UPENN, Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank u so much Gurjot for the insight. I appreciate it.

Th
You do not need your BDS degree to apply to CAAPID but many colleges ask for it in their supplemental applications or after acceptance. I think only Columbia University asks for your license to practice.

Congrats for Upenn, must be a dream come true ! Thanks a ton again, Gurjot ! Are you in Philly at th moment ? I'll be there in a few weeks. It would be of great help if I could meet you.

Hi Gurjot,
why do you want to do dds after having an mds?

Hi, I am interested in applying for the IDP dental program for next year. I recently received my scores for the iBT toefl and got a score of 94. Do you think I should retake the test? Help!!

And then which score would be sent to caapid? The new one or the old one? Can we choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
did u give both part-1 n 2 in your internship?

Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in September 2013.
The past 1 year has been very hectic and the process is very tedious. So if anyone needs any help or advise, I'm here to help as much as I can.
hi,i am doing my internship in india.may i know when did u give your part-1 and 2.i am yet to give my part-1 which am planning to give in august-september.is there chance for me to plan for 2015 cycle

Hi Gurjot! congratulations !! I really need help with my personal statement. could you please let me know about your friend you mentioned? also, can u please help me with some ideas.
thanks in advance.

Hi Gurjot! congratulations !! I really need help with my personal statement. could you please let me know about your friend you mentioned? also, can u please help me with some ideas.
thanks in advance.
Hi, smile27
I was able to befriend a professional working at a document editing company who wrote my SOP. He charged me a lot less than his company was, his personal email address is [email protected]. It's definitely worth it!
Good luck!

Congrats for your acceptance and it's really awesome of you to help ppl like us out!
My question is regarding the degree/transcripts. loma Linda and USCF require original transcripts and degrees from our uni's right? Should these be originals(like duplicate DMC degree) or attested photocopies from our uni? I'm worried cuz my university in haryana takes forever to do anything and plus I have part 2 soon.

Hi, I am interested in applying for the IDP dental program for next year. I recently received my scores for the iBT toefl and got a score of 94. Do you think I should retake the test? Help!!
94 is a really good score, I have reviewed most of the universities' requirements for TOEFL IBT and they usually ask for a min of 85 to 90. the maximum I saw was 100 which is only one university so I think you're in the clear

94 is a really good score, I have reviewed most of the universities' requirements for TOEFL IBT and they usually ask for a min of 85 to 90. the maximum I saw was 100 which is only one university so I think you're in the clear
No, 94 is not a great score. Just clearing minimum requirements won't give you acceptance. You'll be competing with other candidates with better credentials, so try to increase your credentials if possible.

Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in September 2013.
The past 1 year has been very hectic and the process is very tedious. So if anyone needs any help or advise, I'm here to help as much as I can.
Hello, I have a different question away from the topic... are you a US resident or citizen? if not, what do you knw about getting a license to practice when you're done with this program. I contacted state boards and all require a social security number for licensure. any advice?

No, 94 is not a great score. Just clearing minimum requirements won't give you acceptance. You'll be competing with other candidates with better credentials, so try to increase your credentials if possible.
Alright, best of luck then

Hi, smile27
I was able to befriend a professional working at a document editing company who wrote my SOP. He charged me a lot less than his company was, his personal email address is [email protected]. It's definitely worth it!
Good luck!
Hi gurjot,
Thanks a lot for your help and precious info.
I have written already my Personal statement, so shld I contact that guy to refine my Statement, or what?
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,
Hello!!!
I am an International student also. I am about to take NBDE1 in 2 weeks. Which q banks or questions help u most to prepare for the test. I studied from First aid and currently doing Kaplan qbank which are very challenging. Any advise I will really appreciated.

Thanks

I am deciding between goin for an advanced placement DDS program / or doing a specialty right away, I'm a foreign trained dentist and dont have a US residency.
anyone have any info about licensure for both? and what are the pros and cons of either program.
Thank you

Congrats for your acceptance and it's really awesome of you to help ppl like us out!
My question is regarding the degree/transcripts. loma Linda and USCF require original transcripts and degrees from our uni's right? Should these be originals(like duplicate DMC degree) or attested photocopies from our uni? I'm worried cuz my university in haryana takes forever to do anything and plus I have part 2 soon.
Colleges usually require notarized copies of your transcripts and degree. You may have them attested from your college and notarized by a lawyer in India just to be safe.

Over all of the debating that has been going on regarding you score, I would suggest that you aim to get more than 100. That is the most that is required by any university.

Hello, I have a different question away from the topic... are you a US resident or citizen? if not, what do you knw about getting a license to practice when you're done with this program. I contacted state boards and all require a social security number for licensure. any advice?
you can work as a dentist after your graduation by having your work visa sponsored by your employer

Hi gurjot,
Thanks a lot for your help and precious info.
I have written already my Personal statement, so shld I contact that guy to refine my Statement, or what?
Thanks in advance.
You should definitely have all of your requirements completed as soon as possible, including the personal statement. The new Caapid cycle has already started, and it's advisable to apply early.

Hello!!!
I am an International student also. I am about to take NBDE1 in 2 weeks. Which q banks or questions help u most to prepare for the test. I studied from First aid and currently doing Kaplan qbank which are very challenging. Any advise I will really appreciated.

Thanks
I would definitely recommend that you focus on the ASDA papers for questions.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!!!. I have most of the booklets, should I used all including the ones released on 1980's and 1990's also?? sorry to bother but I am really worried. Hopefully in 2 weeks I could do enough of ? if not all from the booklets. How many ? approx.. u did?

Thanks again

the section where it says"Are you licensed to practice dentistry or another profession?" , i thought it was for any license in usa and opted 'no' .
now that i was going through it ,i read the other options and realized i misunderstood the question... will it affect my selection ? also is there any way to change it?
and what happens if you do not waive the rights to your LOR?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!!!. I have most of the booklets, should I used all including the ones released on 1980's and 1990's also?? sorry to bother but I am really worried. Hopefully in 2 weeks I could do enough of ? if not all from the booklets. How many ? approx.. u did?

Thanks again
I mainly focussed on the more recent ASDA papers, that should be enough.

the section where it says"Are you licensed to practice dentistry or another profession?" , i thought it was for any license in usa and opted 'no' .
now that i was going through it ,i read the other options and realized i misunderstood the question... will it affect my selection ? also is there any way to change it?
and what happens if you do not waive the rights to your LOR?
Being licensed to practice shows that you have passed a clinical test qualifying you to do so. So it may be taken into consideration!
You'll have to check if you can change it.

Hi Gurjot,
I had some questions regarding LOR for CAAPID.
I have ssealed LORs from my professors from my country. Can I send them by opting the paper format option??? I dont see any format in CAAPID website for it, however.
Next, how valuable is a letter from a US dentist. I have volunteered with several dentists in US.
Would you suggest one letter from my professor and two from US or vice versa.
your suggestion is awaited.

Hi, smile27
Good luck!
thanks Gurjot! Letme know a good time to speak to you. Email is good?
thanks

Hi Gurjot,
I had some questions regarding LOR for CAAPID.
I have ssealed LORs from my professors from my country. Can I send them by opting the paper format option??? I dont see any format in CAAPID website for it, however.
Next, how valuable is a letter from a US dentist. I have volunteered with several dentists in US.
Would you suggest one letter from my professor and two from US or vice versa.
your suggestion is awaited.
Hi,
I would suggest that you collect as many LOR as possible and use them according to the situation. I'd suggest 1 from your dean, 1 professor (HOD) and 1 from an American dentist if you can. Good luck!

Hi,
I would suggest that you collect as many LOR as possible and use them according to the situation. I'd suggest 1 from your dean, 1 professor (HOD) and 1 from an American dentist if you can. Good luck!
thanks for your suggestion

Hi!
thanks for sharing!
I have sealed college transcripts.. shouldnt those be enough?

Upenn website says:
Notarized copy of dental school diploma or graduation certificate — Applicants without an English language dental school diploma must also submit a notarized translation of the diploma translated into English by a certified translator. Provisional certificates are not accepted.

Only those without an english language school have to submit it? ?
Please help..
Everyone has to submit their diploma to complete the application for UPENN. Without a diploma your application will be incomplete and not considered.

Hi,
I'm new on this forum! can someone please tell me how to apply??? When can I take the NBDE??? and what is a personal statement???

Hi gurjot ,

I need some advise from you and other gurus in this forum,

My situation is little different , I am foreign trained dentist completed my BDS from India . To continue my studies further I am planning to apply for my DDS program ,below are my stat's to do the same

GPA : 3.28 (As per ECE)

NBDE Part 1: PASS (Ist attempt)

NBDE Part 2 : PASS (Ist attempt)

TOEFL : 89 (After 2nd attempt).

What are my chances to get an admission into DDS . Because all schools are asking minimum score of 100 out of 120 (IBT) in TOEFL .

Please advise me schools to apply : ,

Because I am very interested and willing to apply for BOSTON university so if i apply this school with above scores do they consider my application with above scores

Appreciate your reply and advise .

Thank you
BSR

Hi gurjot ,

I need some advise from you and other gurus in this forum,

My situation is little different , I am foreign trained dentist completed my BDS from India . To continue my studies further I am planning to apply for my DDS program ,below are my stat's to do the same

GPA : 3.28 (As per ECE)

NBDE Part 1: PASS (Ist attempt)

NBDE Part 2 : PASS (Ist attempt)

TOEFL : 89 (After 2nd attempt).

What are my chances to get an admission into DDS . Because all schools are asking minimum score of 100 out of 120 (IBT) in TOEFL .

Please advise me schools to apply : ,

Because I am very interested and willing to apply for BOSTON university so if i apply this school with above scores do they consider my application with above scores

Appreciate your reply and advise .

Thank you
BSR
Hi,
From what I've heard BU prefers students with clinical experience but there are always exceptions.
Your stats are good but you definitely have to increase the TOEFL score. Even though some colleges accept 90, you should still aim for more than 100. Further more I would recommend that you get help with your SOP because that also requires a very high standard of grammar and must also be a good representation of your character. Good luck!

Hi,
From what I've heard BU prefers students with clinical experience but there are always exceptions.
Your stats are good but you definitely have to increase the TOEFL score. Even though some colleges accept 90, you should still aim for more than 100. Further more I would recommend that you get help with your SOP because that also requires a very high standard of grammar and must also be a good representation of your character. Good luck!

Thank you Gurjot for your kind response and advise . I have 6 months of clinical experience back in India and have few months of Observer ship exp here in USA . Will that be sufficient ?

And one other question is can i go ahead and submit my CAAPID to Boston University with current stat's and related paper work ? and later submit my new TOEFL scores or wait until i get good scores then apply because as you know they handle our applications on first come first serve basis ? please advise

Thank you Gurjot for your kind response and advise . I have 6 months of clinical experience back in India and have few months of Observer ship exp here in USA . Will that be sufficient ?

And one other question is can i go ahead and submit my CAAPID to Boston University with current stat's and related paper work ? and later submit my new TOEFL scores or wait until i get good scores then apply because as you know they handle our applications on first come first serve basis ? please advise
Better wait and apply once you have updated toefl score. I know folks who applied to BU in first week of CAAPID cycle last year, and yet to hear any update from them. If they like your profile, they'll call you even if you apply late.

Reactions: 1 users

You should definitely wait, but don't take too long!