HHMI and Ortho??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromthetips

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't post much, but currently have a predicament on my hands. There are a number of fields I am currently interested in as a 2nd year medical student (including orthopedics, plastics, cards, anesthesiology). I know, all over the place.

Anyway, I was approved for an HHMI fellowship for my current ortho-related project. I was wondering what you all thought about pursuing this project if i am not totally sold on ortho? Would a successful HHMI research year also be useful for plastic surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Even if your research isn't in the field you will eventually apply to, it will still be beneficial. Papers will be very beneficial regardless of where you apply. And there will be a lot more crossover between Ortho and Plastics than you may realize right now. I think med students in general underestimate how beneficial serious research can be come residency time.

Plus, what a great way to make contacts.

I would strongly recommend it, and am actually kind of jealous. I really wanted to apply for HHMI as a student, but it wasn't an option due to my military scholarship.