Hi everybody new to sdn need some serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettyboyh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys i just turned 24 last month, and i have been seriously contemplating on a career in medicine, i graduated HS in 2008 and i decided to opt out of college and get a feel for life and what it has to offer me. I have took-en 1 class at a community college and dropped out of it, my HS years weren't so great i did just enough to get by, graduated with a 1.9 GPA ive always had a passion for medicine its always been at the back of my mind and you always have those what if thoughts, so after some gruesome thinking and evaluating my life i think im ready to pursue my new career in medicine i have pretty muche did my fair share of research on what its gonna take and what im getting myself into im not fully aware of it all because some things come with experience but i am ready for what life as an md has to bring.

But first things first is getting there i wanted to go the nursing route get my bachelors in nursing and then go on to med school, but i guess my ? is what would be the best way to do it? i know the process but i haven't met anyone that's has been through it so im at a lost for advice. i have numerous questions that im hoping somebody can help shine light on.

Would it be smart to go that route? i wanted to do it that way for a bit of experience first, also im from Florida and unless you have a decent GPA the university's are crossed of the list, so i recently applied to MDC (community college) there's no Pre-med so would nursing be my next option or would it be best to just take the classes that are required for the Pre Reqs? I kno im asking alot and i may be jumping the gun but i just needed some answers.

Thanks again, Everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Major in whatever you think you would do best in. Major does not matter. You will want to transfer into a 4-year university and take as many pre-reqs there as you can.

As a side note keep in mind that in interviews you will be asked why you chose medicine over nursing so be sure you will be able to answer that question. Nursing is not a pre med track so you should really consider your options before choosing that route though.

Reactions: 1 user
Take some CC classes and see how you do. Take it one step at a time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Major in whatever you think you would do best in. Major does not matter. You will want to transfer into a 4-year university and take as many pre-reqs there as you can.

As a side note keep in mind that in interviews you will be asked why you chose medicine over nursing so be sure you will be able to answer that question. Nursing is not a pre med track so you should really consider your options before choosing that route though.

In a strange way I do agree with you but wat would be the best way to transition into a 4 year institution? As well as my reasons I def have those I'm pretty sure I can answer that question that's part of me being out of tune for so long I've worked plenty explored plenty volunteered plenty so I know what I want.

You do not need to take the nursing route if you want to get accepted into medical school. Just take the prerequisites needed to apply to medical school, get good grades on them, take the MCAT and do good on it. Also you need to have EC's. Most pre-meds volunteer at the hospital and shadow a physician. Some even go and do research. It all depends on what you want your EC's to be.

Some tips since you are going to be a CC student. Do not take all of your medical school prerequisites at the CC. The highest you should probably go is Chem I, Bio I, Psychology, and Sociology. The rest leave to when you transfer to a university. Take your time, do not rush into classes that your are not prepared for! Take a courses that build off of the course you need to take. For instance, if you are not good at chemistry I highly suggest you take intro chemistry. If you suck at math like I do, take your time! Do all of the courses that lead up to the courses you need such as: Statistics, Calculus, the list goes on. Do not rush anything. It is very frustrating when you have to drop a class, that is something that you do not want to do.

Also major in what you think is interesting to you and fun. Do not pick Biology because it makes you look better on the application. Remember choose a major that you enjoy because all you need is to get good grades. Keep your GPA high from the start because it is very hard to bring it back up. Keep in mind high GPA (3.6 or higher) and high MCAT (usually a score of 31 and over).

I wish you luck in your quest to becoming a physician. It will be a long and hard journey but with hard work and determination, you will succeed. If you have any questions that still linger around feel free to PM me because I to am a CC student.

In a strange way I do agree with you but wat would be the best way to transition into a 4 year institution? As well as my reasons I def have those I'm pretty sure I can answer that question that's part of me being out of tune for so long I've worked plenty explored plenty volunteered plenty so I know what I want.
transfer from a CC after taking as many transferable classes as possible there to minimize the overall cost. Take a heavy science courseload and get As/Bs. Transfer to the cheapest 4 year, take some upper div science classes, keep your GPA up, crush the MCAT.
Major in something you enjoy or something that covers all the pre-med requirements.
Pursuing an alternate healthcare job will slow you down, and might make med schools question your interest in medicine.

Do not take all of your medical school prerequisites at the CC. The highest you should probably go is Chem I, Bio I, Psychology, and Sociology. The rest leave to when you transfer to a university. Take your time, do not rush into classes that your are not prepared for! Take a courses that build off of the course you need to take. For instance, if you are not good at chemistry I highly suggest you take intro chemistry. If you suck at math like I do, take your time! Do all of the courses that lead up to the courses you need such as: Statistics, Calculus, the list goes on. Do not rush anything. It is very frustrating when you have to drop a class, that is something that you do not want to do.
I too am/was a CC student. My system recommended that I complete all the sequences before transferring - eg Chem 1+2, Bio 1+2+3, Physics 1+2+3. I'm glad I did.
Classes are usually easier at a CC, so take advantage of it to keep your GPA high. You can learn the info just as well at a CC. Science classes at a 4yr can be much more difficult - larger classes graded on a curve.

Enroll in a 2-year associate's degree in your local CC. Shooting for an AS in biology is a good start. Apply yourself, and if you do well and like it, transfer to your local state university to finish your BS. In the mean time, start doing a little volunteering in your community.

Reactions: 3 users
One thing to keep in mind is checking how your CC credits will carry over to your target undergrad institution. If you want to go to StateU for example, and you intend to go to City CC first, check which courses StateU accepts from City CC before even getting to CC. This is not so much pre-med advice as just general advice, because you don't want to take courses assuming they will transfer and then end up with a goose egg where you thought you had paid for the classes and gotten legitimate credit.

Reactions: 2 users
Please do not go to nursing school unless nursing is something you would be interested in doing if you don't get into Med School.
Unless it is something you are genuinely interested in, it won't be worth it. You'll have classes + clinicals, the schedules aren't usually as flexible as other majors, and not to mention getting in can be difficult, especially if you seem to be disinterested in the profession.

The entrance requirements vary from school to school, but for BSN generally you will have to complete some prerequisites, pass a drug test, get a background check, a physical, be up to date on all the immunizations required at the local hospitals, and then pass an entrance exam. Nursing schools have a limited number of seats and many qualified applicants. You'll be competing for a spot with people who are serious about nursing as a profession and have most likely taken a pre-nursing course or are already nurses or some other form of health care worker.

Reactions: 1 users
If MDC = Miami Dade College, I would absolutely not recommend taking classes there. 1) It's a dump (at least the Doral + Kendall campuses are), and 2) the classes are, generally speaking, lackluster in quality. Would really urge you to consider other schools to take classes at, if possible.

I too am/was a CC student. My system recommended that I complete all the sequences before transferring - eg Chem 1+2, Bio 1+2+3, Physics 1+2+3. I'm glad I did.
Classes are usually easier at a CC, so take advantage of it to keep your GPA high. You can learn the info just as well at a CC. Science classes at a 4yr can be much more difficult - larger classes graded on a curve.

And that is why med schools prefer that you take most of your prereqs at a 4-year university. You can take some at a CC, but you need to show that you can handle university-level science, because medical school classes will be even harder than that.

And that is why med schools prefer that you take most of your prereqs at a 4-year university. You can take some at a CC, but you need to show that you can handle university-level science, because medical school classes will be even harder than that.
Finances and/or transfer requirements can force you into a situation where all your prereqs are done at a CC, and as long as you take upp-div science classes after transferring, you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please do not go to nursing school unless nursing is something you would be interested in doing if you don't get into Med School.
Unless it is something you are genuinely interested in, it won't be worth it. You'll have classes + clinicals, the schedules aren't usually as flexible as other majors, and not to mention getting in can be difficult, especially if you seem to be disinterested in the profession.

The entrance requirements vary from school to school, but for BSN generally you will have to complete some prerequisites, pass a drug test, get a background check, a physical, be up to date on all the immunizations required at the local hospitals, and then pass an entrance exam. Nursing schools have a limited number of seats and many qualified applicants. You'll be competing for a spot with people who are serious about nursing as a profession and have most likely taken a pre-nursing course or are already nurses or some other form of health care worker.

Thanks for the aid, I was thinking the same I come from a long line of nurses, so I've gotten a taste of what they're schedules are like being that my mom is a nurse however I was thinking that if my career in medicine doesn't go as planned I was gonna fall back to that

If MDC = Miami Dade College, I would absolutely not recommend taking classes there. 1) It's a dump (at least the Doral + Kendall campuses are), and 2) the classes are, generally speaking, lackluster in quality. Would really urge you to consider other schools to take classes at, if possible.

Thanks are you familiar with the miami Dade, broward county area?

Would that be enough to get me into a 4 year institution? Sociology, psych etc?

Would that be enough to get me into a 4 year institution? Sociology, psych etc?
The transfer requirements depend on the major and the school.
Usually you need to take the equivalent of freshman year to transfer as a sophomore.
Many schools only accept transfers as juniors, after you did 2 years (about 60 credits) at CC.
You only need to take the pre-med classes at the CC if they're connected to your major or transfer agreements - but it can be advantageous to take them there whether or not you "need" to: cheaper, because fewer classes to complete at the more expensive 4yr, higher GPA, because easier (sometimes/maybe), better LORs because smaller classes

But balance that advice out against the dearth of research opportunities at CCs

@prettyboyh... Take the classes at MDC or BC ... They are not community colleges anymore. Schools in FL will look at them at CC, but that might not be the case outside of FL.. I know many that took some prereqs (not all) at MDC/BC/Palm Beach State and are in med school now...

I'm from So Flo area. Might want to start at CC and consider transferring to FIU.

I don't and haven't attended a CC. But look into Broward or Miami Dade like other posters have been saying. You need to get into the flow of school.

Unless it is something you are genuinely interested in, it won't be worth it.
You'll have classes + clinicals, the schedules aren't usually as flexible as other majors, and not to mention getting in can be difficult, especially if you seem to be disinterested in the profession..

100% agree with this. I asked a question on here about nursing-->medicine route and the general response was don't do it, unless you'd like to be a nurse the next 30+ years if you don't get in to med school.

And I'd agree with everyone saying start out at a CC. It's best for you to get your feet wet at a CC, learn how to study and get a taste of college, then transfer to a 4 year. The 1.9 GPA from high school shows you haven't learned how to study yet but it's never too late to learn how.

Also, try setting up an appointment with a nearby CC advisor to talk about which classes you should take and make sure they transfer well to the nearby 4 year institutions. I know in Michigan many of the CCs do a 'macro' agreement that lists exactly what classes are transferable so you are guaranteed credit at the agreeing institution if you pass. Also, maybe you should shadow nurses and doctors to see what it's really like! Maybe that will help you decide :) best of luck!

100% agree with this. I asked a question on here about nursing-->medicine route and the general response was don't do it, unless you'd like to be a nurse the next 30+ years if you don't get in to med school.

And I'd agree with everyone saying start out at a CC. It's best for you to get your feet wet at a CC, learn how to study and get a taste of college, then transfer to a 4 year. The 1.9 GPA from high school shows you haven't learned how to study yet but it's never too late to learn how.

Thanks I agree after considering it its best if I just take my time and go through it all minus the nursing part I'm just trying to pick another major seeing which one would fit best as well as which one I see myself doing. The studying however do you have any tips and methods I can try to get into the proper habit of studying? Thanks again for the input I really appreciate it

Also, try setting up an appointment with a nearby CC advisor to talk about which classes you should take and make sure they transfer well to the nearby 4 year institutions. I know in Michigan many of the CCs do a 'macro' agreement that lists exactly what classes are transferable so you are guaranteed credit at the agreeing institution if you pass. Also, maybe you should shadow nurses and doctors to see what it's really like! Maybe that will help you decide :) best of luck!

I've put a request in to speak to an advisor at my cc. I've shadowed about 3 times so far within the past year, my mother's a nurse I shadowed her once, and one of her friends is a MD so I shadowed him twice I enjoyed the experience to be honest im planning on doing some more volunteering, shadowing. I've been a bit tied to work lately but I will eventually thanks I'm just trying to pick another major right now

Broward college is rachet.

@prettyboyh... Take the classes at MDC or BC ... They are not community colleges anymore. Schools in FL will look at them at CC, but that might not be the case outside of FL.. I know many that took some prereqs (not all) at MDC/BC/Palm Beach State and are in med school now...

How are they not CCs:confused:.

Back to topic, go to your closest CC, you will generally have no trouble transferring your credits to a state university in Florida. Start taking Chemistry along with Gen. Ed. classes and do well. Do not major in Nursing.

Oh another VERY important topic, you will be subject to the surcharge policy which means after you take 132 credits (10% on top of any degree program, which is 120 credits) you will be charged an OOS tuition and will likely loose all financial aid. It's a new policy (effective since Fall 2012) but it will backfire at many students in 2-3 years from now. You must be very smart about picking any classes (repeated, dropped, and failed coursework all count toward the surcharge).

Last edited:
Broward college is rachet.

How are they not CCs:confused:.

Back to topic, go to your closest CC, you will generally have no trouble transferring your credits to a state university in Florida. Start taking Chemistry along with Gen. Ed. classes and do well. Do not major in Nursing.

Oh another VERY important topic, you will be subject to the surcharge policy which means after you take 132 credits (10% on top of any degree program, which is 120 credits) you will be charged an OOS tuition and will likely loose all financial aid. It's a new policy (effective since Fall 2012) but it will backfire at many students in 2-3 years from now. You must be very smart about picking any classes (repeated, dropped, and failed coursework all count toward the surcharge).

Thanks for the save good information will def consider it

Thanks I agree after considering it its best if I just take my time and go through it all minus the nursing part I'm just trying to pick another major seeing which one would fit best as well as which one I see myself doing. The studying however do you have any tips and methods I can try to get into the proper habit of studying? Thanks again for the input I really appreciate it

Sure, no problem. The main thing to realize is that you need to put in the time to get the grade you want. Unless you're a walking genius, you're going to have to put in time to study to get grades you're happy with. Set aside time during your day just for studying, make it a routine. GPA is usually an indicator of how much effort someone puts into their school work, not necessarily overall intelligence. You could be the smartest guy in the class but if you don't do your homework or review for your exams, you're going to get terrible grades.

Second, and a lot of people seem to have issues with this regarding Ochem, is to LEARN material and concepts and apply your knowledge. Memorization will only take you so far academically. Eventually professors are going to start giving test questions which will stump you at first, but if you've studied you'll be able to apply the knowledge and concepts you've learned from old problems and apply them to problems you've never seen before. To me, this is what seems to separate the kids that get exams in the B to A- range, and the people who kill their exams and get A's.

Overall, put in the time and effort and study to learn the concepts, not just memorize facts. Do both of these, and you'll be in awesome shape

Sure, no problem. The main thing to realize is that you need to put in the time to get the grade you want. Unless you're a walking genius, you're going to have to put in time to study to get grades you're happy with. Set aside time during your day just for studying, make it a routine. GPA is usually an indicator of how much effort someone puts into their school work, not necessarily overall intelligence. You could be the smartest guy in the class but if you don't do your homework or review for your exams, you're going to get terrible grades.

Second, and a lot of people seem to have issues with this regarding Ochem, is to LEARN material and concepts and apply your knowledge. Memorization will only take you so far academically. Eventually professors are going to start giving test questions which will stump you at first, but if you've studied you'll be able to apply the knowledge and concepts you've learned from old problems and apply them to problems you've never seen before. To me, this is what seems to separate the kids that get exams in the B to A- range, and the people who kill their exams and get A's.

Overall, put in the time and effort and study to learn the concepts, not just memorize facts. Do both of these, and you'll be in awesome shape

Thank you I will def take all of it in now memory wise, wat can I do to make my memory sharp in terms of remembering my studies etc... because sometimes my memory is down the drain I mean I understand the cutting everything out and getting into a rhythm with school and studying as far as the memory any suggestions?

If you want to get into medical school someday, nursing is a very difficult path to take. Many nursing professors and instructors have a tendency to "not give As" for various reasons. The coursework is also actually quite difficult compared to many other courses of study- the material covered is less difficult than the hard sciences or engineering, but more difficult than just about everything else, and you've got to do a few hundred hours of clinical rotations on top of just going to school. You're a nontrad, so you're probably working as well, which makes fitting 24 hours a week of clinical in pretty damn difficult. Nursing is a fine degree if you want a career in nursing, but a rough road for someone that wants to be a physician, basically. Also keep in mind that 95% of premeds never make it to medical school, so pick a degree you enjoy that will provide skills you can use if you end up changing your mind down the road.

Thank you I will def take all of it in now memory wise, wat can I do to make my memory sharp in terms of remembering my studies etc... because sometimes my memory is down the drain I mean I understand the cutting everything out and getting into a rhythm with school and studying as far as the memory any suggestions?

What's best for memorizing depends on the person. When I study for easier classes, I'll typically just go through the notes, handouts, and book and make sure I feel comfortable with everything. If there's things I don't feel comfortable with, I'll write them down and practice. The key is repetition.

For harder classes, I need to dedicate time every night to studying. Like with orgo, I made flashcards for every reaction and mechanism we learned. Those proved to be invaluable to me.

Overall, I'd say forcing myself to recall the information in a meaningful way (like I would on an exam) and doing it repeatedly is what works best for me, and like I said before, making sure I LEARNED the material, not just have facts memorized.

But it always depends on the person. For you, try different study strategies and see what works best.

I will reword what I just wrote but in regards to Nursing. You will no longer be able to major in Nursing and complete all your prerequisite coursework for med school in the state of Florida as it will put you beyond allowed 132 credit hours (Nursing degree has no room for electives).

Please refer to:
http://onestop.fiu.edu/_assets/docs/registrar/Excess_Credit_Surcharge_QnA.pdf