hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyMonster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to introduce myself. I like this board, but I'm wary of joining because it seems like a pretty hostile community (particularly towards professional school students. I happen to be one, and I love it.) At the same time, I can't quite tear myself away. I found this board because I was looking around for a community that shared a common experience that I also am going through - basically, being in grad school, having to stay in the student role as an adult, having to listen to your parents make embarrassed comments to relatives about how you are STILL in school, and then having to ask them for money...yes, grad school truly is a magical time. anyway, I do enjoy popping in from time to time and reading quite a few of the threads here, so I thought it was high time I issued a general hello.
also, i don't know who posted that link to ph.d. comics that one time, but they are awesome. I love you. they have given me many a chuckle on a dreary weeknight.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I've never seen people be hostile to professional school students. I do think that the majority of people on this forum are PhD students or PhD hopefuls.. and people tend to think that what they are doing is better than what someone else is doing (bc obviously if they didn't they'd be doing the other thing.) Welcome to the forum, but try not to get too discouraged by people being "hostile." When someone's hostile to me... I look at their post, Respond, get irritated for a second, and go back to what I was doing.. because in the end.... it's the internet haha

just wanted to introduce myself. I like this board, but I'm wary of joining because it seems like a pretty hostile community (particularly towards professional school students. I happen to be one, and I love it.) At the same time, I can't quite tear myself away. I found this board because I was looking around for a community that shared a common experience that I also am going through - basically, being in grad school, having to stay in the student role as an adult, having to listen to your parents make embarrassed comments to relatives about how you are STILL in school, and then having to ask them for money...yes, grad school truly is a magical time. anyway, I do enjoy popping in from time to time and reading quite a few of the threads here, so I thought it was high time I issued a general hello.
also, i don't know who posted that link to ph.d. comics that one time, but they are awesome. I love you. they have given me many a chuckle on a dreary weeknight.

I think the forum has a wide range of students on it, with someone who post more than others.I hope you stick around and contribute.....as it can be really helpful as you go through your training.

Members don't see this ad :)
and people tend to think that what they are doing is better than what someone else is doing (bc obviously if they didn't they'd be doing the other thing.)

Wow, is this truly a fair statement to make? Alot of people on here apply to both PsyD and PhD programs. People who go down a different career path tend to see the other paths as inferior? Are you applying this to only PsyD versus PhD? So do psychiatrists look at psychologists differently, that they are better than us because they have a MD? Most people go to a program that best matches their needs and just because they don't go to a PsyD does not imply that it was because they viewed it as inferior. To say this is a pysh board there are alot of generalizations being splattered all across these posts.

you have a PM. if you have any more questions, just send them along.
Wow, is this truly a fair statement to make? Alot of people on here apply to both PsyD and PhD programs. People who go down a different career path tend to see the other paths as inferior? Are you applying this to only PsyD versus PhD? So do psychiatrists look at psychologists differently, that they are better than us because they have a MD? Most people go to a program that best matches their needs and just because they don't go to a PsyD does not imply that it was because they viewed it as inferior. To say this is a pysh board there are alot of generalizations being splattered all across these posts.