Hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

downfallen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just signed up but this will be my last post depending on the answer to this question. I'm not in any branch of medicine. I'm a psych patient for the past 30 years. Current dx, Bipolar I.

Can I occasionally post questions or other issues that I come across online or is this strictly a student doctor forum?

If it's preferable that the site is for medical professionals it won't hurt my feelings. I can still read posts.

If I don't post again I would like to say that I've had 6 psychiatrist's over the years. Two were amazing(one I'm still seeing) three, not so good, and one, an easy writer that I got away from ASAP.

The easy writer...Hi doc I've been treated for depression for many years but I've stopped meds for a short while. My supervisor at work said I was similar to her and that you gave her Paxil and Ritalin which is working. I've never taken Ritalin but my brother read an article on ADHD and said to me, that's you!

The doctor almost jumped out of his chair and said, that's a diagnosis right there. (Grabs prescription pad and gives me a huge bag of Paxil samples)

Even though some of my doctors haven't been ideal, I do like psychiatrist and have a lot of respect for them in general. I believe that I wouldn't be alive without them....you. My current doc has been the best. He always seems to have the right question for what I'm going through. He seems to know my chart, that goes back ten years, by heart. He's meticulous but not anal and reserved and deliberate in prescribing meds. And oh, he cares.

So, if I don't post again, I want to thank you people who work so hard as healers in a very difficult profession.

One more point. I'm running across more and more people that despise psychiatry. They feel they're dishing out placebos that have given them brain damage. I just relate to them a story of my brother that died of cancer last year. As I watched the oncologist going from one chemo to another and my brother suffering hideous side effects I saw how similar the professions are. Of course stage 4 cancer will most likely kill you but so can untreated mental illness. But the main thing I noticed was that many people don't like their psychiatrist or psychiatrists in general but patients seem to universally love their oncologist.

OK, I need to go locate my Lexapro mug and my now collectible psych med pens.

Peace out doctors

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.