Hiding A Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlkyneSynthesis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a pointless math elective class over the summer freshmen year at a community college. Little did I know that class was going to be extremely difficult being the stupid freshmen that I was and got a C and never transferred it to the main university I am attending and was attending cause it was not needed and was pointless. It affects my AMCAS gpa a lot, should I report it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a pointless math elective class over the summer freshmen year at a community college. Little did I know that class was going to be extremely difficult being the stupid freshmen that I was and got a C and never transferred it to the main university I am attending and was attending cause it was not needed and was pointless. It affects my AMCAS gpa a lot, should I report it?
Yes.

Reactions: 8 users
YES.

Emphasis on yes.

Failing to report this class - and doing so deliberately - is literally one of the stupidest things you can possibly do with your application. You would be better off wearing a horse mask to your interviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably take a few more classes if 1 C affects your GPA "a lot"...

You would be better off wearing a horse mask to your interviews.

Maybe one of those masks that moves when you talk?

Reactions: 5 users
One thing I’ve learned is that if someone is willing to lie to you about small, trivial things, you’d better believe that they’re gonna lie to you about important things when it benefits them.

The application CLEARLY states that you must report all grades taken at any college. Even if you could get away with not reporting it (which I don’t think you can), ask yourself if you want to be the kind of person who hides their mistakes in an attempt to save face, or the kind of person who owns them, learns from them, and is better for it. Now ask yourself which one you’d want your doctor to be, and the answer should be clear.

One C isn’t going to sink your application, but lying about it absolutely will.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
The older I get, the more I have come to realize that honesty is truly the best policy. It allows you to feel better about yourself, to sleep better at night, and generally works out better in the end. So often people lose out not because of what they were trying to cover up, but because of the cover-up itself (Nixon comes to mind). If you knowingly make a material omission here and it ultimately gets discovered, you could get thrown out of medical school. Why risk it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
One thing I’ve learned is that if someone is willing to lie to you about small, trivial things, you’d better believe that they’re gonna lie to you about important things when it benefits them.

The application CLEARLY states that you must report all grades taken at any college. Even if you could get away with not reporting it (which I don’t think you can), ask yourself if you want to be the kind of person who hides their mistakes in an attempt to save face, or the kind of person who owns them, learns from them, and is better for it. Now ask yourself which one you’d want your doctor to be, and the answer should be clear.

One C isn’t going to sink your application, but lying about it absolutely will.

Cannot agree with these points enough. This is one of the most important applications of your life. Do you really want to do it on the basis of dishonesty? Also worth mentioning, there absolutely is precedent for med students having been dismissed for this exact kind of thing because someone in admissions found out at some point. Or worse, they've had their medical license revoked mid-career. Maybe you'll get away with it, maybe not. One C is not worth having that hanging over your head for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 3 users
You're required to report all college courses to AMCAS.

If it was a joint class in highschool that didn't go to your community college transcript then there's a work around.

Most college students need 120 credits to graduate. This means a maximum of 480 quality points. If you take more credits you have more potential points to earn.A 3 credit course (which is typical of math courses) would contribute a maximum of 12 quality points. Given that you did not transfer this you will have earned at a minimum, 123 credits with a maximum potential of 492 quality points. A C in a 3 credit class means that you've lost out on 6 quality points out of a potential 492 quality points. This means that by the time you graduate, that C in Math will have dropped your GPA by less than 0.013. That is peanuts.

On the other hand, to deliberately leave a course off of your AMCAS application is fraud and could get your AMCAS application tossed out as you will have attested to the completeness of the application and that will be a lie.

Reactions: 10 users
Not to mention that you probably won't get away with it. Odds are your community college transcript is stored in the National Student Clearinghouse. I believe schools check their database once you declare your plans to matriculate.

Not to mention that you probably won't get away with it. Odds are your community college transcript is stored in the National Student Clearinghouse. I believe schools check their database once you declare your plans to matriculate.

This is what I was told, essentially. Schools will check the databases that store students’ transcripts, such as NSC. They will find it! Many of us have Cs sitting on our transcripts anyway, just don’t make a habit of it.

Reactions: 2 users
This is what I was told, essentially. Schools will check the databases that store students’ transcripts, such as NSC. They will find it! Many of us have Cs sitting on our transcripts anyway, just don’t make a habit of it.

I had a C+ in an economics course and nobody even said anything about it. What was asked was why i had a W in ochem 1. Oops.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you ever want a chance at attending med school? then yes, you have to report it.

It will be in the national clearinghouse, and so Admission deans will find out about it.

And if you don't report it, not only will that merit an autoreject, (even after an acceptance), but you'll be banned from AMCAS and AACOMAS as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a C+ in an economics course and nobody even said anything about it. What was asked was why i had a W in ochem 1. Oops.

I had 26 Ws and 3 Fs, and I only got asked about it once. It is not worth lying and potentially throwing away a career before you even start, especially not a C.

I had 26 Ws and 3 Fs, and I only got asked about it once. It is not worth lying and potentially throwing away a career before you even start, especially not a C.

Nope, not at all.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't see how a single C can affect your AMCAS gpa a lot