High expectations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have been accepted to an MD/DO school, have people shown high expectations of you after they found out that you're going to become a doctor? For instance, my friend expected me to know how to suture (sic) even though I have not even taken one class yet. I told him that I'm just like him in the meantime. If I have a headache, I'll take Tylenol or Advil. LOL

Members don't see this ad.

coolness said:
For those that have been accepted to an MD/DO school, have people shown high expectations of you after they found out that you're going to become a doctor? For instance, my friend expected me to know how to suture (sic) even though I have not even taken one class yet. I told him that I'm just like him in the meantime. If I have a headache, I'll take Tylenol or Advil. LOL

I have taken the bare minimum of pre-reqs and since I've been accepted people have asked me all sorts of medical questions. Then when I tell them I don't know what they're talking about, they usually give me that look like, "Some doctor you'll be..." Good times. :love:

YES! It seems like every other day that I have to explain "No, I'm not starting med school for another couple weeks...you don't learn any medicine as a pre-med, you learn basic science so my opinion is not a professional one, I'd just be taking an uninformed stab in the dark.....however, I don't think thats a pimple or a boil...i think its an old gummi bear"

Members don't see this ad :)
no, because they know we are just students. and they wouldn't trust anything i say for at least the first two years.

my mom would not believe anything i say even if i was doctor. she'd prolly go to another doctor and then come to me asking for free treatment haha.

I read this somewhere.. forget where.. but even when you graduate from med school, the only people who will think of you as a doctor is you and your mom. :laugh:

high expectations...i know exactly what you're talking about.

earlier this spring my research mentor said he expected that i get a 40 on the mcat. that same week my micro teacher said she'd be disappointed if i get less than a 14 in bio. this is the same lady that told me my 3.92 was "ok" but it would be better if i improved it a little.

god am i glad i met her. (i'm being 100 percent genuine here, she's the reason why i'm in good shape now.)

:laugh: Yes. My family expects me to know these things already.....Like, my Mom had surgery this week, and I talked to the doctor before it kicked off. Well, she'd told her doctor that I was going to be a doctor, and didn't I have any more intelligent questions to ask him?

:rolleyes:

OTOH, I also realize that my days of rampant immaturity are over.........

Or not... :smuggrin:

Well, unless you go on a clinical rotation and study medicine with residents and fellows, you won't have any sense of clinical medicine yet. Unless you're like me, who did do an actual clinical rotation. :luck:

Or like me and work at the hospital full time for the docs.. actually in on every single patient exam, ordering tests, prescriptions, etc. The ER is great. Do I really have to tell them I want to do family practice to get in?

P.S. and plenty of people have made fine doctors without much clinical experience... after all, we all have to go to medical school, rotations, internship, residency.. eventually we will know what we are talking about.. all of us..

bonez318ti said:
I read this somewhere.. forget where.. but even when you graduate from med school, the only people who will think of you as a doctor is you and your mom. :laugh:

Perri Klass, Baby Doctor

g3pro said:
Well, unless you go on a clinical rotation and study medicine with residents and fellows, you won't have any sense of clinical medicine yet. Unless you're like me, who did do an actual clinical rotation. :luck:

wow sweet...how did you pull that off?