High risk recreational activities as a surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoPathic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a noob question but I was discussing this with a fellow student the other day about whether or not surgeons in general avoid high risk sporting activities like MMA, snowboarding, surfing etc. I personally have been surfing and boarding my whole life and would hate to have to give it up or avoid it at all, but is the risk of suffering a possible career ending injury worth the risk? Or am I overthinking it and blowing the risk way out of proportion? Any residents or attendings care to weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

That's why we get insurance. Personally, I have not stopped snowboarding, surfing, etc. out of fear. If it's what you love then taking it away is much worse than the fear of getting hurt. I'd rather run the risk of getting hurt than have these things taken away from me. Also to be career ending, it would be a catastrophic event. Probably similar odds to getting into a terrible car accident. Would recommend getting insurance (both life and disability) though.

Reactions: 1 users
Would one have to declare these activities in insurance policies? If working in a group, would colleagues be concerned at all of certain activities?

I'm probably take greater risk playing basketball than training MMA, but people likely perceive the latter as riskier. Just curious about some of these...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue is probably that injuries are more likely to come from the normal activities of daily living than some extreme sport. A couple of months ago we saw a surgeon with a dislocated elbow as the result of a fall while teaching his kid how to ride a bike.

If you read the sports page, pro athletes are often as likely to be injured slipping in the shower as on the playing field. The total risk of injury is probably greater slipping on ice in the morning on the way to get the paper than when snowboarding. How often do you do the former as opposed to the later? And with the later you are likely to be wearing protective equipment.

Don't do woodworking or any other hobby that could blow apart your hands.

I can operate with one leg, not with one arm

That's what I think about when I'm about to attempt a high risk activity.

Yes, you get asked about high risk activities while applying for both disability and life insurance. Unless you regularly skydive or free climb, however, I doubt it impacts your rates very much. Check out whitecoatinvester.com and definitely be very well informed about insurance, and/or talk to a financial advisor. As a surgeon you need, at least, specialty-specific insurance (because, if you get general disability insurance, someone could argue that you could still be a radiologist or family medicine doctor). BTW, the emails you get from the AMA about super cheap disability insurance at the end of medical school is general disability insurance. But it is really cheap. A small number of companies even do subspecialty specific. When to start? Depends on your situation. Generally, life insurance is largely to protect a spouse and especially kids. Disability insurance you should definitely get before finishing residency. How soon to get it during residency depends on your risk tolerance. And EVERY surgeon if not every doctor needs disability insurance, not just those who do high risk activities - as mentioned, the reason it probably doesn't effect your rates much is because almost all major injuries happen in daily life... like in a car... rather than some hobby. After 5-8 years of training, if suddenly you couldn't operate, that would be a financial and personal disaster worth protecting against.

About whether your private practice group or co-faculty might mind, I'm not sure. I do recall a surgeon who seemed to get hurt once a year, nothing too serious, but enough to put surgery on the sidelines for a few weeks. At some point, people are going to question someone's judgment and concern for the impacts on others if they keep getting injured.