High school essay on covid

henryevans

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am pre-writing my covid secondary essay right now (mostly questions on how I was impacted by Covid) and I was wondering if this is a good thing to discuss.

Basically someone in my immediate family is a healthcare worker in a country that doesn't have access to reliable vaccines (this is where I'm originally from), and they caught Covid with really severe symptoms and we were essentially stuck in different countries without a chance to visit. Would you say it is a good idea to discuss how this made me more resilient and taught me things about access to healthcare etc.?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am pre-writing my covid secondary essay right now (mostly questions on how I was impacted by Covid) and I was wondering if this is a good thing to discuss.

Basically someone in my immediate family is a healthcare worker in a country that doesn't have access to reliable vaccines (this is where I'm originally from), and they caught Covid with really severe symptoms and we were essentially stuck in different countries without a chance to visit. Would you say it is a good idea to discuss how this made me more resilient and taught me things about access to healthcare etc.?

Thank you!
The essay is supposed to be about you, not your relative.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you in high school? It’s great that you are reflecting on the pandemic, but that prompt might not exist by the time you apply, unless you’re doing BS/MD.

Your energy would be better spent elsewhere. Get a job, volunteer, do things that make you uncomfortable.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The purpose of this essay is, generally, to describe what happened to you and your household. Were you forced to return to home and do online classes, did your school do pass/fail courses only, did you or members of your household become ill and miss school or have economic problems due to the pandemic/shutdown?

I suppose a member of your immediate family (parent or sibling, I presume) was sick and you were unable to have contact with them, well, it doesn't matter whether they were here or there or had or didn't have vaccines as for the first year of the pandemic, everyone worldwide was in that boat with family unable to see one another and experiencing severe symptoms if they got sick. At that point, living abroad was somewhat irrelevant as one could suffer the same if family were just living across the street.

This isn't, IMHO, an essay where you have to have a "what I learned and how I grew" statement. Did your status quo get upended by COVID and what did you do in place of what you had intended to do. (e.g. you were working in a neurosurgeon's office and got laid off so you went to work in a testing facility or you were planning to do a semester abroad but you ended up taking classes online and doing a data analysis project).

Reactions: 1 user