High School GPA - College GPA - Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bropatz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a junior in high school taking PSEO classes through a community college. PSEO, for those who don't know, is a program where you take classes on campus (or online) of a college and receive high school AND college credits. Before I was accepted into the program, I had a HS GPA of 3.3. I barely tried my freshman year, but in my sophomore year I was set on pursuing medicine. I suck at math, so my grades in Chemistry and College Algebra were sub-par for my first semester (junior year) during PSEO, causing my PSEO GPA to fall to a 3.0. Luckily, the GPA only accounts for my HS GPA rather than my college GPA. This semester is similar with math and chem. I plan on graduating HS with an AA degree, thus, essentially leaving me with only two years of undergrad to complete.

So my question is: Let's say I apply to medical school during my "junior" year of undergrad (unless that's too early), even if I excel, will the school look at the fact that I've only taken 1-1 1/2 semesters of my true undergrad? Will that affect my chances? Will they eventually look further back to my PSEO college credit grades?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm currently a junior in high school taking PSEO classes through a community college. PSEO, for those who don't know, is a program where you take classes on campus (or online) of a college and receive high school AND college credits. Before I was accepted into the program, I had a HS GPA of 3.3. I barely tried my freshman year, but in my sophomore year I was set on pursuing medicine. I suck at math, so my grades in Chemistry and College Algebra were sub-par for my first semester (junior year) during PSEO, causing my PSEO GPA to fall to a 3.0. Luckily, the GPA only accounts for my HS GPA rather than my college GPA. This semester is similar with math and chem. I plan on graduating HS with an AA degree, thus, essentially leaving me with only two years of undergrad to complete.

So my question is: Let's say I apply to medical school during my "junior" year of undergrad (unless that's too early), even if I excel, will the school look at the fact that I've only taken 1-1 1/2 semesters of my true undergrad? Will that affect my chances? Will they eventually look further back to my PSEO college credit grades?

Thanks in advance!
High school means nothing just do well in college and you're fine

When you apply to med school through AMCAS , you have to submit transcripts from every college you have attended. This includes any ccs that you took classes at during high school. So every class you have already taken or will be taking between now and HS graduation will be counted in your GPA for med school.

You are obviously very young and have lots to learn so spend some time reading the forums and learning about med school and what you you need to do to be a competitive applicant. And you have lots to do. You need ECs, you’ll have to take the MCAT, maybe do research etc.. So slow down, work hard and when you are closer to applying people on here will be happy to help you out.