High School Pubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dalamplighter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a rather unique situation. I was able to publish two papers in mid-tier, reputable journals in high school (one as a first author, another as second-to-last author). However, both of them are in cancer genetics but I want to do neuroscience research instead. Also, I am related to the PI of the lab, but I busted my ass to get the results I did, working 50-hour weeks all four summers and really only receiving oversight from a postdoc. I also presented my first author paper, and can talk for days about the work I did there. I am just wondering, how would adcoms look upon these publications? Would they consider them less valid than other people's publications? Would I need to publish at least twice in my current undergrad lab (neurobiology) not to be seen as a downward trend?

Sorry if this sounds super neurotic...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you're being super neurotic. Having such strong HS research experience will be a boon to your app. I was all set to tell you to include those pubs on your AMCAS and for sure get a LOR from the PI until you said you were related to the PI. That complicates things a bit, because you don't want to make it look like your success is all due to nepotism. How are you related to the PI, and do you have the same last name? If it's a distant relative with a different last name, then there shouldn't be an issue. But if it's your mom or dad....well, you should still include that research experience on your AMCAS because it's obviously significant research experience, but you will have to think a little more carefully about how to present it. In that case, it would be best to have someone else (not your relative) write the LOR. It won't be as good to get a LOR from, say, the post doc instead of from the PI. But if the post doc has left the lab and can write an "objective" letter, that's probably the way to go so you can avoid the scenario of having to ask a close relative to write the LOR.

And no, you do not need to publish at least twice during college to not be seen as having a downward trend. Many applicants have no pubs at all, and you're already so far ahead of your peers that you don't even recognize how far ahead of your peers you are. :)

I disagree with Q that you are so far ahead of your peers, but that said it doesn't hurt you to have a strong HS experience. You will be judged mainly on your college experience. What matters now too is GPA and MCAT just as much as research.

There isn't any pressure on you to keep up productivity from a publication standpoint. It's certainly been my experience that having parents in or connected to the lab you work in is the biggest predictor of undergraduate publications. So if you go somewhere completely disconnected you may have a more difficult time publishing. But I say it till I'm blue in the face. It doesn't matter if you publish as an undergraduate. What matters is effort, understanding, and letters. If you can get out there and generate more first author presentations and posters, great. If not, no big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, include it but also show that you've continued research into college. I had a high school pub but it didn't come out until a few years into college and will prob be the same for my undergrad research.

As for you relative, maybe get a letter from your in lab mentor (post doc or grad student) and get your mom/dad/whoever it is to co-sign.

I am in a rather unique situation. I was able to publish two papers in mid-tier, reputable journals in high school (one as a first author, another as second-to-last author). However, both of them are in cancer genetics but I want to do neuroscience research instead. Also, I am related to the PI of the lab, but I busted my ass to get the results I did, working 50-hour weeks all four summers and really only receiving oversight from a postdoc. I also presented my first author paper, and can talk for days about the work I did there. I am just wondering, how would adcoms look upon these publications? Would they consider them less valid than other people's publications? Would I need to publish at least twice in my current undergrad lab (neurobiology) not to be seen as a downward trend?

Sorry if this sounds super neurotic...

Hey, I had an abstract published in high school as well as a presentation at a conference. Like you, I can also say that I knew the research very well and had run the project with only minor guidance.

I included the abstract and presentation burrowed in with the others and included the date in parentheses on my application. I think you can just include them with dates, but don't mention that you published them in high school. I didn't have anyone ask me about mine. If they do specifically ask, you can just prove to them your knowledge on the topic and give full details of your involvement.

As for needing to get at least two in undergrad, it would be nice lol... Like I said, I "buried" mine in there with the many other publications, abstracts, and presentations. However, I am also a non-traditional student that took 5 years off between undergrad and med school, so I have had even more time to publish.

Don't freak out about it, but getting even a single publication in undergrad would be great. Take initiative. Good luck! You are already on the right track! :)