High-School student needing advice:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently an upcoming senior in highschool, and I am very interested in entering the optometry field.

I had a couple of questions if you guys don't mind asking :)

1) Is there a site where there is a list of all schools that offer a pre-optometry program? I can't seem to find an accurate one.

2) Does pre-optometry even matter, or can I just go to any school and do the pre-requisites?

3) Do you guys know good private schools that offer pre-optometry? I really can't find any that aren't and are just public schools. I know that if I want to go out of state, it will have to be private becuase of the funds.

If anything I said above this isn't right, please help me out, I need to start finding undergrad schools quick!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am currently an upcoming senior in highschool, and I am very interested in entering the optometry field.

I had a couple of questions if you guys don't mind asking :)

1) Is there a site where there is a list of all schools that offer a pre-optometry program? I can't seem to find an accurate one.

2) Does pre-optometry even matter, or can I just go to any school and do the pre-requisites?

3) Do you guys know good private schools that offer pre-optometry? I really can't find any that aren't and are just public schools. I know that if I want to go out of state, it will have to be private becuase of the funds.

If anything I said above this isn't right, please help me out, I need to start finding undergrad schools quick!!

Pretty much all pre-requisites needed for admission to an optometry program can be taken at any 4 year degree granting institution. There really isn't any "pre optometry" programs out there like there are "pre med" programs other than perhaps at state schools that have optometry programs like Ohio State or Berkeley.

I would not concern yourself with that though. What you should be doing is focussing on doing well and enjoying your senior year of high school and getting yourself admitted into a college or university that is a good fit for you. Don't worry too much about the optometry part right now. That part will come soon enough.

Pretty much all pre-requisites needed for admission to an optometry program can be taken at any 4 year degree granting institution. There really isn't any "pre optometry" programs out there like there are "pre med" programs other than perhaps at state schools that have optometry programs like Ohio State or Berkeley.

I would not concern yourself with that though. What you should be doing is focussing on doing well and enjoying your senior year of high school and getting yourself admitted into a college or university that is a good fit for you. Don't worry too much about the optometry part right now. That part will come soon enough.

Thanks for the relief. Thing is I want to go to a college that will prepare me for optometry as much as possible.

Can you give me some advice and factors that I should determine on when choosing an undergrad school? (for example, what if my college doesn't have certain pre-req's I need, etc-)

Also, did most optometrist go to school without that mind set of pre-optometry and just took whatever classes they needed to complete?

Thanks a lot, sorry if this seems excessive

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to go to a four year university and just start taking lower division science classes. Like General Chemistry, Calculus, Bio, etc. If you don't already know what you want to major in, you may find out by taking some of those classes.

It's great that you have a good idea of what you want to do in life, but I recommend keeping your doors open. Pick a major that you enjoy and complete it alongside the optometry pre-reqs. You'll be happier pursuing a major that you like rather than just fulfilling pre-reqs for a goal that may still be like 8 years away.

I went to undergraduate thinking I was going to be a great scientist who would make great advances in the world of genetics. I lol @ that now. But still, it was fun to get my Genetics degree and I feel that my understanding of the biological world is very well rounded because I did both that and optometry prereqs at the same time.

So just keep your mind open, you will have plenty of time to complete any and all prereqs in ADDITION to a degree! Oh, and get a BS, try your best not to do a BA. :p

Can you give me some advice and factors that I should determine on when choosing an undergrad school? (for example, what if my college doesn't have certain pre-req's I need, etc-)

Also, did most optometrist go to school without that mind set of pre-optometry and just took whatever classes they needed to complete?

I can't attest the mindset of most optometrists going into school, because I'm not one yet. From my own limited experience, I can tell you that I decided to study science, because I loved it, and that eventually lead me to optometry.

But, in your case I think it is great that you have this direction in mind so early in your career. It will definitely help you when it comes to deciding which classes to take because you will already have the pre-req's as guidelines. It will also give you ample time to shadow, which is an important part of your application to optometry school.

As for what you want in an undergrad university, there are several factors that you may want to consider. When I was looking into schools I considered location, size of student body, average class sizes, if professors or TA's teach classes, what the student life is like there, and so much more. You may also want ask the schools you are interested in if students have trouble getting into the classes they need for their major, or if students commonly graduate in more than four years.

PM me if you want more info on choosing a college ideas. I work as a student rep for my university, and I talk to students a lot about what to look for in mostly my college, but colleges in general as well.

Good luck with everything, and have a great senior year!

My advice is to go to a four year university and just start taking lower division science classes. Like General Chemistry, Calculus, Bio, etc. If you don't already know what you want to major in, you may find out by taking some of those classes.

It's great that you have a good idea of what you want to do in life, but I recommend keeping your doors open. Pick a major that you enjoy and complete it alongside the optometry pre-reqs. You'll be happier pursuing a major that you like rather than just fulfilling pre-reqs for a goal that may still be like 8 years away.

I went to undergraduate thinking I was going to be a great scientist who would make great advances in the world of genetics. I lol @ that now. But still, it was fun to get my Genetics degree and I feel that my understanding of the biological world is very well rounded because I did both that and optometry prereqs at the same time.

So just keep your mind open, you will have plenty of time to complete any and all prereqs in ADDITION to a degree! Oh, and get a BS, try your best not to do a BA. :p

Definitely. I'm pretty sure I want to get into a biological science, I really dig that kind of stuff.
I can't attest the mindset of most optometrists going into school, because I'm not one yet. From my own limited experience, I can tell you that I decided to study science, because I loved it, and that eventually lead me to optometry.

But, in your case I think it is great that you have this direction in mind so early in your career. It will definitely help you when it comes to deciding which classes to take because you will already have the pre-req's as guidelines. It will also give you ample time to shadow, which is an important part of your application to optometry school.

As for what you want in an undergrad university, there are several factors that you may want to consider. When I was looking into schools I considered location, size of student body, average class sizes, if professors or TA's teach classes, what the student life is like there, and so much more. You may also want ask the schools you are interested in if students have trouble getting into the classes they need for their major, or if students commonly graduate in more than four years.

PM me if you want more info on choosing a college ideas. I work as a student rep for my university, and I talk to students a lot about what to look for in mostly my college, but colleges in general as well.

Good luck with everything, and have a great senior year!

Hey PM'd you man.

And to all, my goal is to go to a school with a great education + average sized classrooms. Yet still want to go to a school that will at best benefit me for optometry school - but I guess it doesn't matter since it's the pre-reqs that I just need?

Note: can you guys give me the best attributes of a school that will best support me for optometry school?

I would advise you to go with a 4-yr public university in your state.. that will be the least expensive option (very important at this point, as optometry school will be very expensive), and will very likely fulfill all pre-reqs and beyond what you'd need for optometry school. (gen bio, gen chem, organic chem, calc, biochem, microbio, physiology & anatomy, physics... see http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3343 for lots of good, official optometry related info. Specifically, you may want to click on "Student Profile and Prerequisites".)

There really aren't big advantages of one undergrad school over another in terms of optometry prep from what I've researched (maybe just avoid small, private, liberal arts schools?). Just make sure to at least take the pre-reqs, get good grades, do some volunteering, job shadowing etc, score well on the OAT, that's all you really need to worry about, IMO. Again, I'd recommend an in-state 4 yr public university,

I would advise you to go with a 4-yr public university in your state.. that will be the least expensive option (very important at this point, as optometry school will be very expensive), and will very likely fulfill all pre-reqs and beyond what you'd need for optometry school. (gen bio, gen chem, organic chem, calc, biochem, microbio, physiology & anatomy, physics... see http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3343 for lots of good, official optometry related info. Specifically, you may want to click on "Student Profile and Prerequisites".)

There really aren't big advantages of one undergrad school over another in terms of optometry prep from what I've researched (maybe just avoid small, private, liberal arts schools?). Just make sure to at least take the pre-reqs, get good grades, do some volunteering, job shadowing etc, score well on the OAT, that's all you really need to worry about, IMO. Again, I'd recommend an in-state 4 yr public university,

Why a in-state 4 year public?

I'm not trying to oppose you, it's just I thought that private univeristies were superior in that its aid is very good and class sizes are small so = helpful

I went to a 4 year public in-state university that was very cheap and had small class sizes, and I got into school just like everybody else. I graduated without debt and that was the best thing I could have done before coming into optometry school. You don't need some expensive private school! A public school can "prepare" you for optometry school just fine. Honestly, you are worrying too much for preparing for optometry school. You don't have to have some great optometric background to make it in optometry school. They will teach you everything you need to know. So honestly, I would go to a university that is fairly cheap with average class sizes or less. Don't put too much thought into going to some great school thinking it will improve your chances getting into school. In fact, you don't even need a science degree to make it into optometry school. So basically I would choose a degree that you enjoy that will also allow you to fulfill the pre-reqs. "Pre-optometry" programs, honestly, aren't helpful. Any "pre-" program is just a list of classes to fulfill pre-reqs. It's not a degree. You can fulfill those pre-reqs on your own without a "pre-" program.

Ditto Oogilily... that is the reason I advised a in-state public 4 yr university over any private one, as I said: "that will be the least expensive option (very important at this point, as optometry school will be very expensive)." You really want to minimize debt, especially since undergrad doesn't matter a whole lot. Virtually any in-state public 4 yr university will be more than sufficient to fully prepare you.

Ditto Oogilily... that is the reason I advised a in-state public 4 yr university over any private one, as I said: "that will be the least expensive option (very important at this point, as optometry school will be very expensive)." You really want to minimize debt, especially since undergrad doesn't matter a whole lot. Virtually any in-state public 4 yr university will be more than sufficient to fully prepare you.

You guys realize that most private schools will end up having you pay less than instates right?

I've never heard of any private school's tuition being cheaper than an in-state public university's tuition, but if you can arrange that and it's a reputable program with solid sciences, sure, go for it.

Maybe not cheaper, but probably more stable. Freaking UC Davis had like...a 30% increase in tuition last year. It's at like $13k/yr I think which is substantially less than optometry school, but a private school may not pull any of this 30% increase bullsh*t on you. My dad had to take a line of credit out on the house to pay my and my sister's tuition last year.

But ya, go wherever you want, just not community college and don't forget to finish your prereqs with A's and get involved. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My worry is that UW (our best state school) has enormous-sized classes. i'd like how this affects you guys (since you have all experienced college)

Oh I see. Large classes really don't bother me, but yeah I can definitely see it being important to consider your own learning style, etc. For me the possibility of having smaller classes was not worth the heavier price-tag.

Personally, having huge lecture classes (300 students) kinda sucked compared to the few community college classes (30 students) that I've taken. But even if someone told me "hey, UCD has really big classes, you sure you want to go there?" I'd go there anyways, because now I have a degree from there. Schools do acknowledge where you got your degree from, so if you go to UW and do like...kinda B's the whole way, they'll recognize that you graduated from a good school. That's what they told me anyway, in reference to my subzero gpa. :p They might've just been saying that to make me feel better. But whatever, they still accepted my ass!

Personally, having huge lecture classes (300 students) kinda sucked compared to the few community college classes (30 students) that I've taken. But even if someone told me "hey, UCD has really big classes, you sure you want to go there?" I'd go there anyways, because now I have a degree from there. Schools do acknowledge where you got your degree from, so if you go to UW and do like...kinda B's the whole way, they'll recognize that you graduated from a good school. That's what they told me anyway, in reference to my subzero gpa. :p They might've just been saying that to make me feel better. But whatever, they still accepted my ass!

I went to a university most people probably never have heard of and got in just fine. I think doing really well on your OAT carries more weight than where you went to school. Getting decent grades from any university and doing really well on your OAT will get your foot in the door with the school. Either way, don't put too much weight on getting into some prestigious school just to get into optometry school.

As far as class sizes, I loved smaller class sizes (and I went to a cheap university, don't associate small class sizes with expensive schools). Smaller class sizes allowed me to know the professors much better and allowed me to get really good letters of recommendation from them because they knew me better. That is much harder to do when you are a small fish in a large school. That's just my vote though, it worked well for me. People at large schools are just as successful. It's really up to what you prefer.

Does getting a degree from a school with a College of Optometry increase your chances of getting in at all? or would say someone who went to University of North Dakota have the same chance to get in as some one who went to Indiana to get into Indiana's Optometry program ?

I'd think that all in all, it doesn't really matter what undergrad you went to. That said, familiarity with the program is also very important when it comes to the interview phase. If it is a school you are really hoping to get into, you'll do yourself a big favor by being very familiar with their program, no matter whether you went to that school or not.

Why a in-state 4 year public?

I'm not trying to oppose you, it's just I thought that private univeristies were superior in that its aid is very good and class sizes are small so = helpful
As someone who spent ridiculous money on an undergrad private school, I can say that it's not always worth it. Take your pre-req classes and do well. As long as it's a four-year university in decent standing, you should be fine. Some public colleges are ranked way above private ones. Cal Berkeley is public, and it's also one of the best schools in the nation. Unless you're wealthy to the point of never having to worry about money, look into your state's public schools. The key is to get good grades and have a high GPA/OAT score. Also, it seems like you're already stressing yourself out way too much about this. I'm not trying to belittle the profession because it is important, and the schooling can be very difficult, but you can get into optometry school without having a perfect GPA from a top-ranked school. It's quite simply not as competitive as some other programs. Relax a little bit.

My worry is that UW (our best state school) has enormous-sized classes. i'd like how this affects you guys (since you have all experienced college)
Big classes never bothered me. You're going to be studying and reviewing the material a lot in your dorm/library. That's where a good deal of your learning will likely take place. With the hard sciences, it's not usually possible to pick up everything you need from lecture anyway.

Edit: Overall, I think you should choose a school where you'll get along with the student body and be able to feel comfortable and at home. It will make all the difference. You need to be happy to learn. Of course, also look at academics, but don't focus so much on optometry at this point because it's not like you need to be in a specific pre-opt undergrad program to get into an optometry school. Best of luck. Go to as many campus visits as you can and talk to the current students.

So... undergrad doesn't matter? *dies*
I'm a freshman at JHU and I'm struggling, but after wrestling between transferring to my state school or staying here, I've decided to stay here and pursue a degree in Public Health (although my major could change... it's already changed twice!)
The only thing is I would like to keep debt down and it's incredibly expensive here. I'm thinking of maybe being an RA my jr/sr years to cut down on living expenses, but being an RA might *kill* my GPA.