High scores, average ECs. My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baldizonan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, sort of a weird situation for me. I got a 42R on my MCAT and I'll most likely have a 4.00 for both general and science GPA when I apply this summer. My ECs on the other hand have always seemed a bit lacking in a few areas...

Research: ~6 years in 2 different labs (not at the same time) averaging about 15h/week during the year and 30h/week over the summer. 1 publication where I am second author.

Hospital volunteering: 120 hours total in ER/ cardiac telemetry ward

Shadowing: ~40 hours from various doctors (gen surgery, orthopedic surgery,
developmental pediatrics, oncology, anesthesiology) usually only ~7-8 hours per doctor

Other volunteering: Tutoring elementary school kids for a salvation army after school program (120h), a club that presents science lessons to classes of elementary school kids (24h), random hours along the way (walks, food backs, the like) (50h or so).

I've also TA'd for 2 semesters for gen chem and ochem labs

I'll have letters from 3 science professors, 1 non-science professor, and my current PI (an MD/PhD). All should be strong letters.

Basically I'm worried about my less than stellar clinical involvement and my lack of formal leadership experience. I could try to spin the lab work (training/mentoring new student volunteers) and TAing as leadership I guess, but I don't hold any formal offices (president of x club, etc.) I also go to a large state school that is not very highly regarded for academic rigor...don't know how that may hurt me.

I'm planning on applying to several top 10 and top 20 schools for MD and maybe a few MSTPs. should I expect problems?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No need to apply MD/PhD (unless you really want to do it.) As long as you are genuine in your PS and interviews, you'll get in somewhere.

Yeah....you'll have your choice of top schools to choose from. If youre worried about clinical involvement you can start now and mark it as "to present" on your primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do want to be involved in research at med school and beyond, I just haven't decided quite yet whether to go full MD/PhD or just try to do a research fellowship with a standard MD program. I'm also aware that I can probably get in somewhere, I'm just wondering what my chances are at some of the top 10 places (UCSF, Stanford, Hopkins, Wash U, Penn, etc.)

I would say you are very likely to get into at least one top 10 school based on your stats alone. Just don't allow it to get to your head and become a tool about it. Entitled attitude = rejection in almost all cases.

Agree with above comments. With stats like that, basically what decides whether or not you get in, is if you have an interesting story and personality during your interviews. Most people think that the numbers alreadygives them an acceptance in the bag, but ...you'd be surprised. Also, top tier schools are often a crapshoot, fyi. Yes your numbers are great, but just keep in mind that people who often are at top tiers have the numbers AND the ECs...