High SGPA with Bad Pre-Req Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyglotdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have mediocre (3.0-3.3) grades for all or most of my pre-reqs, but have an overall good SGPA (3.6-3.7) due to being a science major and thus having that many more BCPM courses to make up for my poor pre-reqs... how does that look to adcoms?

The reason I am asking is, couldn't a science major who didn't do so well in his prereqs simply take a LOT of generally easier upper div courses, easy science GEs, etc. to boost their BCPM? There must be some kind of catch...

Do the adcoms look at the transcript and note the pre-req grades individually along with the overall SGPA on the application?

Or is it that as long as I study up on the prereq material on my own and do reasonably well on the MCAT, the grades I received in those classes can be forgiven?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering the same thing too, a few of my pre reqs were bad but I got all B+-As in the upper levels. A C in genetics, C- in calc 2, and a C in anatomy class really lowered my sGPA since they were all 4 credit intro classes I took my first 1.5 years. But on the other hand I got A- in orgo 2 and the lab, A-s in 3 semesters of physics etc. so I'm curious if they look at the individual pre reqs as well

We see everything on your transcript, and if you have a decent sGPA, the pre-reqs shouldn't be an issue. I tend to prefer that you ace your Bio courses.

If I have mediocre (3.0-3.3) grades for all or most of my pre-reqs, but have an overall good SGPA (3.6-3.7) due to being a science major and thus having that many more BCPM courses to make up for my poor pre-reqs... how does that look to adcoms?

The reason I am asking is, couldn't a science major who didn't do so well in his prereqs simply take a LOT of generally easier upper div courses, easy science GEs, etc. to boost their BCPM? There must be some kind of catch...

Do the adcoms look at the transcript and note the pre-req grades individually along with the overall SGPA on the application?

Or is it that as long as I study up on the prereq material on my own and do reasonably well on the MCAT, the grades I received in those classes can be forgiven?

Not an adcom, but what I thought abt this would depend a lot on your MCAT BCP subsections