High Step 1, Passing Clinical Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching the forum for a discussion of this issue, but didn't have much luck. I'm a Med 3 interested in dermatology, but I'm having a hard time navigating grades this year. I earned pass for OB/GYN, and I'm on surgery now and don't feel confident that I'm doing any better. I spoke with the PD at my home program a few weeks ago and he indicated that I was unlikely to match if I didn't honor the rest of my third year rotations. Obviously I can't say how the rest of the year will go, but my first rotation broke my confidence and I'm wondering if I should rethink applying to dermatology and focus on one of my back-ups instead.

For some background: my school does not give out preclinical grades for individual courses, but instead gives one grade each for M1 and M2. During my first year I earned Letters (top 25%) and for my second year I earned Honors (top 10%). My Step 1 was 256. I'm coming from a mid-tier school in the Midwest.

In general, is it realistic that someone could match without any honors or high pass grades during their third year rotations (e.g., worst-case scenario)? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried searching the forum for a discussion of this issue, but didn't have much luck. I'm a Med 3 interested in dermatology, but I'm having a hard time navigating grades this year. I earned pass for OB/GYN, and I'm on surgery now and don't feel confident that I'm doing any better. I spoke with the PD at my home program a few weeks ago and he indicated that I was unlikely to match if I didn't honor the rest of my third year rotations. Obviously I can't say how the rest of the year will go, but my first rotation broke my confidence and I'm wondering if I should rethink applying to dermatology and focus on one of my back-ups instead.

For some background: my school does not give out preclinical grades for individual courses, but instead gives one grade each for M1 and M2. During my first year I earned Letters (top 25%) and for my second year I earned Honors (top 10%). My Step 1 was 256. I'm coming from a mid-tier school in the Midwest.

In general, is it realistic that someone could match without any honors or high pass grades during their third year rotations (e.g., worst-case scenario)? Thanks for any input.

It's doable (I did it) but very highly discouraged

Would recommend doing whatever it takes to rack up some clinical honors

I started MS3 much like you did. OB/GYN is a brutal rotation and it can be a confidence wrecker. Keep your head up and work hard. With that 256 step 1 you have the capability to destroy the shelf exams (are they still doing those?) which should help lift you into a few honors this year. Aim to honor medicine, that's probably the most important. Try to be good to yourself and realize that MS3 is a right of passage and a lot of it is out of your hands. All you can augment is your work ethic and personality. Be nice and work hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be nice and work hard.

Yeah, Ob/gyn can be a tough one to start on since the personalities can sometimes be much rougher in that speciality. Being nice and working hard is all you can focus on now so agree with sore eye asses. At least your PD is honest though i don't agree with that way of approaching students.

Don't give up if this is what you really want. People have matched with low 200s and no honors (though it takes a lot of extra years of fellowship and research afterwards with a good dose of serendipity).

yes anything is possible..... but it doesn't mean you have a same chances at places vs. someone who did honor. just no complaining when you don't match. thx.

I also started MS3 on ObGyn... didn't have a clue how difficult shelf exams really are.
Instead of going home and digging my head into kaplan notes / blue prints / etc... I went to the O.R. to assist in cases for other specialties and tickle my wanna-be surgeon bone.

Needless to say I didn't get honors in ObGyn. And I also didn't get honors in Peds. Something about kids and babies just doesn't click in my thick skull i guess haha

Sorry about the rough start. Third year takes some getting used to. I also got a pass on an early rotation and rebounded. Made honors the rest of the year. Just learn from past mistakes and do WHATEVER is necessary to excel in your last few rotations. Your specialty selection is one that affects the next 30 yrs+ of your life, so don't be discouraged...just try even harded the rest of 3rd yr and u will be fine :)

does getting a pass in obgyn really hurt your chances of matching into a completely unrelated field?

assuming you do get a fair number of honors in other rotations

I matched with a slightly lower step score, Passes in ob and surg, HP in most else with a token Honors in FM. I did have solid research and nice letters to help, but you aren't screwed with a couple of passes. It just makes it a little harder.

with reimbursement going down, matching derm is going to get easier. it ain't what it used to be. peak craziness was probably 5-8 years ago.

I think that may be the case in the future but I don't think it will get any easier in the next few years

I think that may be the case in the future but I don't think it will get any easier in the next few years

The quality of applicants to my program has gone down in the past few years. I think it'll be a continuing trend. Lower step scores on average (probably 10 points or so), less pubs, less impressive overall. A few standouts, but the bar is lower. We even dropped our step 1 cutoff 5 points because we were having trouble finding enough applicants to interview.

The applicant that has AOA, step 1 250+, and 5+ pubs is much less common than it was just a few years ago. Personal observation from one program...

The quality of applicants to my program has gone down in the past few years. I think it'll be a continuing trend. Lower step scores on average (probably 10 points or so), less pubs, less impressive overall. A few standouts, but the bar is lower. We even dropped our step 1 cutoff 5 points because we were having trouble finding enough applicants to interview.

The applicant that has AOA, step 1 250+, and 5+ pubs is much less common than it was just a few years ago. Personal observation from one program...

What specialties do you think the high quality applicants are applying to instead?

What specialties do you think the high quality applicants are applying to instead?

rad onc, ent, plastics, ophtho

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the applicant pool is crap, just not as strong as it was 5 years ago.