Highest MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m250

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
More out of curiousity than anything, but what is the highest MCAT score you legitimately know of? I'm not talking about that one guy from that one school who got the mythical 45 years ago that everyone has "heard" about at one point or another...I'm referring to someone who you actually know well (and not a friend of a friend of a friend type of thing either, we all know how the telephone game that you play in 3rd grade works out).

The second reason I ask is I'm curious of the frequency of these "elite" scores. I know quite a few people who got high 30's and a few with 40-41's, but the highest I can accurately verify is a 43.

Members don't see this ad.

the highest score I've heard from a person I know in real life was a 37. everything I've heard above that has been from SDN. most of my friends are not pre-med though.

Honestly, 27. MCAT scores at my state school were really low. Maybe 2 or 3 people would get accepted every year, but our biology department was relatively small and only around 10 or 12 people would even apply.

I'm in grad school now at a different university and take the MCAT tomorrow. I've gotten as high as a 34 on practice exams so hopefully I will break the mold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one friend that got a 42 and another that got a 43. One is an MD/PhD candidate and the other is a plastic surgeon. Aside from them, I don't know of anyone else that got above a 32.

My two room mates got 31 and 32, which I thought were pretty ballin' scores.
...until I came on here.

My thought process then went something like this;
"Alright, I'm about 60% as smart has room mate X, and about 85% as smart as room mate Y so... yeah, if I work my *** off and have a good day I should get a 26! ... wait... $#&*!!!"

Scores are out on Aug 17th and I could NOT be more nervous. :scared:
(yes, my head is blue and it actually shakes at this point)

More out of curiousity than anything, but what is the highest MCAT score you legitimately know of? I'm not talking about that one guy from that one school who got the mythical 45 years ago that everyone has "heard" about at one point or another...I'm referring to someone who you actually know well (and not a friend of a friend of a friend type of thing either, we all know how the telephone game that you play in 3rd grade works out).

The second reason I ask is I'm curious of the frequency of these "elite" scores. I know quite a few people who got high 30's and a few with 40-41's, but the highest I can accurately verify is a 43.

Just so I'm clear, is this the situation? You want legitimate information instead of just rumors, so you're asking people on an anonymous internet forum? Does that about sum it up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Highest I personally know is a 39. One half of an elite super-premed pair of twins worshiped at my school. The other twin got 38.

there's no incentive to troll over something so petty, let alone over the internet.
He actually decided to pursue law instead (yes he also took the LSATs and did very well... too smart).

there's no incentive to troll over something so petty, let alone over the internet.
He actually decided to pursue law instead (yes he also took the LSATs and did very well... too smart).

orly.gif

30. maybe everyone is really dumb where i am. most people are 25-29.

i did hear my old chem TA got a 43 though. he's really weird in public and socially inept. i bet most people who score 39+ are like that. hes nice though i liked him a lot. he helped me understand H NMR real well.

my roommate got a 42 (I saw it with my own eyes!) and our professor took the mcat willie nilly to see how he would do and got a 43 (that son of b@#%) he brought us a print out!

i did hear my old chem TA got a 43 though. he's really weird in public and socially inept. i bet most people who score 39+ are like that. hes nice though i liked him a lot. he helped me understand H NMR real well.

In real life people think a 30 on the MCAT is awesome. It's just on here it feels so average.

so you're saying that a professor, established in his field and with a legitimate career, just "willy-nilly" shelled out 500 bucks, signed up for a test several months in advance and sat for a 5 hour exam, "just to see how he'd do"

man, what a tool

I got a 41, and I wouldn't consider myself weird in public or socially inept. That's the highest score I've reliably heard of; someone at our school apparently got a 40 a few years ago, but that sounds like a whole bunch of rumor and lies to me.

I got a 41, and I wouldn't consider myself weird in public or socially inept. That's the highest score I've reliably heard of; someone at our school apparently got a 40 a few years ago, but that sounds like a whole bunch of rumor and lies to me.

This right here sums up the futility of this thread. What's reliable information to anyone on this thread is only an unsubstantiated rumor from some guy on the internet to everyone else.

I could say I did great on the MCAT and claim to be socially ept, but what would be the point? What would it mean to anyone else that some anonymous poster on the internet claims to both test well, have an active social life, a cute girlfriend, whatever?

If you just want to know how common good scores are, look at the published statistics. Those should be more reliable than hundreds of anonymous self-reported internet scores. If you want to know how many people with good scores are socially competent, I suspect you'd have to ask someone on an admissions committee at a good school. They should actually see and interact with a decent sample of high-scorers, and have reliable information about what those scores are.

Personally, I want to meet the person who scored in the 15-17 range on the MCAT, graduated in the range of a 1.47-1.9 GPA, and was accepted to medical school. He is one bad mamma-jamma.

This right here sums up the futility of this thread. What's reliable information to anyone on this thread is only an unsubstantiated rumor from some guy on the internet to everyone else.

I could say I did great on the MCAT and claim to be socially ept, but what would be the point? What would it mean to anyone else that some anonymous poster on the internet claims to both test well, have an active social life, a cute girlfriend, whatever?

If you just want to know how common good scores are, look at the published statistics. Those should be more reliable than hundreds of anonymous self-reported internet scores. If you want to know how many people with good scores are socially competent, I suspect you'd have to ask someone on an admissions committee at a good school. They should actually see and interact with a decent sample of high-scorers, and have reliable information about what those scores are.

2j5dh5d.jpg

This right here sums up the futility of the internet. What's reliable information to anyone on the internet is only unsubstantiated rumor from some guy on the internet to everyone else.

Last edited:
36, from the one person I know who took it and who told me their score.

Anyone else I know who has taken it never revealed this info, and I never asked.

Last edited:
A simple search at AAMC's website tells us that 75,809 sat for the exam in 2008, and 99.5-99.6 percentile score 40+

Let's use our quick MCAT math skills (8e4*5e-3) to figure out that less than 400 make 40+ Now try to estimate how many people you've seen on sdn make this claim. Apparently, 40s are given exclusively to sdn users! :cool:

Also, a quick search will show that no one has scored a 44 or 45 in any documented recent year. How many are claimed in this thread alone? :rolleyes:

after seeing this phase in and out of my top thread as "recently updated" for several days now, i still fail to see the utility of this topic.

That was in 2008. Multiply that by three because we are almost through the 2010 testing year and you have ~1200. How do you claim that no 44s have been documented in recent years? Even if five people scored a 44 in 2008, it is too low of a percentage to show up in the digits of significance used by AAMC.

Wait? Is SDN public or no?

Because we may have to challenge your assertion.

A simple search at AAMC's website tells us that 75,809 sat for the exam in 2008, and 99.5-99.6 percentile score 40+

Let's use our quick MCAT math skills (8e4*5e-3) to figure out that less than 400 make 40+ Now try to estimate how many people you've seen on sdn make this claim. Apparently, 40s are given exclusively to sdn users! :cool:

Also, a quick search will show that no one has scored a 44 or 45 in any documented recent year. How many are claimed in this thread alone? :rolleyes:

Let's use our MCAT math skills, and remember what a significant figure is, and how rounding works.

The percentiles are all given rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent. From 2009, 0.1% of examinees are said to score a 42, those being contained within the 99.9 - 99.9 percentile. 0.0% of examinees are said to score each of a 43, 44, and 45, also contained within the 99.9 - 99.9 percentile. This doesn't mean that no one scores above a 42. It means that the total number of people scoring above a 42 rounds to 0.0%, not to 0.1%. This suggests that less than 0.05%, or less than 40 people do this well. My feeling is that the number is substantially less than 40 people, but not 0 people.

For scaled scores in the 40s, it's frequently the case that each wrong answer corresponds to a point lost on the scaled score. Let's assume this is the case, and see where it gets us. For examinees scoring in this range, there is a large number of questions, and a very low chance of them missing any given question. We could thus model wrong answers with a Poisson distribution. If there are 80 people with an expected score of 42, and thus an expected number of wrong answers of 3, we can look at the Poisson distribution and see that about 1 in 20, or 4 examinees will, just by luck, get every single question right, and thus a 45. Another 12 or so will, just by luck, miss only a single question, and get a 44. And about 18 will get, by luck, a 43. As a sanity check, consider that we've calculated a total of 34 scores above a 42. This is entirely consistent with the published data, which implies that fewer than 40 examinees score above a 42.

It would actually be really strange and unexpected if no one ever got a 44 or 45. We know that close to a hundred people are getting a 42 each year. How likely is it that none of those bastards gets lucky and misses zero, one, or two questions, instead of three? Pretty unlikely.

All that said, is every reported score on here accurate? Probably not. Some guy on the internet says that his friend's brother got a 44. Is it true? Who knows. Some guy on the internet says that Obama was born in Kenya. Some guy on the internet says that tinfoil hats keep out the satellite waves. Some guy on the internet thinks that everyone cares about the cute thing his cat did the other day. Actually, he's probably right about that one, strangely enough.

Btw, the only people who give a $h*t about the MCAT are people about to take the MCAT or who have taken it very recently.

It's like those card games, Magic the Gathering. The only people who care about that crap are the ones playing the game.

Once you are deep into med school or a physician, none of this matters.

Take the TEST and get in!

Let's use our MCAT math skills, and remember what a significant figure is, and how rounding works.

The percentiles are all given rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent. From 2009, 0.1% of examinees are said to score a 42, those being contained within the 99.9 - 99.9 percentile. 0.0% of examinees are said to score each of a 43, 44, and 45, also contained within the 99.9 - 99.9 percentile. This doesn't mean that no one scores above a 42. It means that the total number of people scoring above a 42 rounds to 0.0%, not to 0.1%. This suggests that less than 0.05%, or less than 40 people do this well. My feeling is that the number is substantially less than 40 people, but not 0 people.

For scaled scores in the 40s, it's frequently the case that each wrong answer corresponds to a point lost on the scaled score. Let's assume this is the case, and see where it gets us. For examinees scoring in this range, there is a large number of questions, and a very low chance of them missing any given question. We could thus model wrong answers with a Poisson distribution. If there are 80 people with an expected score of 42, and thus an expected number of wrong answers of 3, we can look at the Poisson distribution and see that about 1 in 20, or 4 examinees will, just by luck, get every single question right, and thus a 45. Another 12 or so will, just by luck, miss only a single question, and get a 44. And about 18 will get, by luck, a 43. As a sanity check, consider that we've calculated a total of 34 scores above a 42. This is entirely consistent with the published data, which implies that fewer than 40 examinees score above a 42.

It would actually be really strange and unexpected if no one ever got a 44 or 45. We know that close to a hundred people are getting a 42 each year. How likely is it that none of those bastards gets lucky and misses zero, one, or two questions, instead of three? Pretty unlikely.

All that said, is every reported score on here accurate? Probably not. Some guy on the internet says that his friend's brother got a 44. Is it true? Who knows. Some guy on the internet says that Obama was born in Kenya. Some guy on the internet says that tinfoil hats keep out the satellite waves. Some guy on the internet thinks that everyone cares about the cute thing his cat did the other day. Actually, he's probably right about that one, strangely enough.

Too much thought.

Go have fun.

big words coming from a guy who's said a lot of stupid stuff on these forums.

lolz!

Lose electron oxidize.... got it! I will never forget.

Also, Ad-hominem and irrelevant. Secondly, the comment wasn't serious and you are a huge nerd.

I saw a documentary about a guy who got a 44 on his MCAT and got into Harvard, but had no means to pay. Thus, he resorted to using his brilliance to count cards in Las Vegas. Subsequently, this path led to a crazy lifestyle and an accumulation of invaluable life experiences which inevitably helped him receive full financial aid to med school. He had a professor named Kevin Spacey.

I saw a documentary about a guy who got a 44 on his MCAT and got into Harvard, but had no means to pay. Thus, he resorted to using his brilliance to count cards in Las Vegas. Subsequently, this path led to a crazy lifestyle and an accumulation of invaluable life experiences which inevitably helped him receive full financial aid to med school. He had a professor named Kevin Spacey.

I think I saw this same documentary!

This thread does not serve any particular purpose, but I find it moderately interesting. The aamc confirms that in 2008-2009, someone scored a 44 on the mcat. If you look at the total range of MCAT scores for mstp applicants in 2008-2009, you will see that a 44 was the maximum score on the range. So even though I don't know said individual, I would say my evidence is well supported :D: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/enrollmentgraduate/table35-md-phd-mcat-gpa-2-web.pdf.

Also, if you have ever perused the 30+ mcat thread, you will find an individual that achieved a 44 mcat score: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8364094#post8364094. While, they may be lying, it seems rather unlikely given their post history.

Lastly, if you look at the range of mcat scores for UCF, you will see that their range goes to a 45, so apparently someone scored a perfect score: http://www.med.ucf.edu/admissions/.

So, someone definitely achieved a 44 mcat and based on the UCF website someone likely achieved a 45 mcat, as I do not see why a medical school would lie.

Cole, your avatar is wholly sufficient for this entire thread XD. Not that it wasn't funny or anything.

Definitely an impressive accomplishment. Personally the highest I heard about in undergrad was right around 40 or 41.

I've seen that UCF video and think it's kind of funny/ironic that while they're trying to stress the need for more primary care physicians they're showing clips of da Vinci surgery and having students play around on a laparoscopic simulator..... :rolleyes: I guess counseling a patient in the office for the 15th time about why they need their metformin when they never miss a vicodin refill isn't as "sexy" as robotic surgery.

Personally, I want to meet the person who scored in the 15-17 range on the MCAT, graduated in the range of a 1.47-1.9 GPA, and was accepted to medical school. He is one bad mamma-jamma.

LOL I totally agree. I would buy this person drinks for a month. I know a girl with 19 on the MCAT and 2.8 GPA in an MD program. Let's just say that she is super hot and VERY friendly with two of the old guys on the admissions committee. ;)