Highschool Student wanting to become an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumetosa

Young MD.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and it seems like it is for people that are really qualified to go into the medical field/or already are in the field. But, I have been thinking about what profession I would like to pursue, and that is Neurology. I shouldn't have to be thinking about what I want to be in the next 10 years, since I am a teenager that shouldn't care about anything of the sort. But I would really like to get to know what it takes to become a doctor, what I should do to prepare myself through out my high school years. So, I came to this forum searching for anyone that would like to give me some sort of advice. Any kind!

Members don't see this ad.

The path to medicine is arduous, and yet very rewarding. It is not too early for you to think about your future. Time is your most valuable asset. Get good grades in school, an most importantly, learn as much as you can.

Do a search on this site for more detailed answers.

BTW- Brandeis has a great neuroscience program. Guess where I'm going in the fall...

The most important thing is to have a goal and stick to it. Many people will tell you that you don't really need to know what you want to do until your 3rd year of undergrad. That is not true unless you want to be an undergrad for 5-6 years.

Shadow, Volunteer, do whatever it takes to make sure that you want to become a doctor and then if you are sure become obssesed with that goal. Please don't pick a profession based on ER or Grey's Anatomy, but instead get involved personally as much as possible at your own hospital.

When you enter college there will be alot of pressure to slack off and become satisfied with an average performance. Don't rely on the curve...set the curve. Study for tests, MCAT, and whatever else that needs studying for. I see so many people who hope that they fall into medicine, but they don't want to put the effort into getting there. Don'e hope that medicine finds you, set out to be a doctor and then GO BE A DOCTOR. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jumetosa said:
I am new to this forum, and it seems like it is for people that are really qualified to go into the medical field/or already are in the field. But, I have been thinking about what profession I would like to pursue, and that is Neurology. I shouldn't have to be thinking about what I want to be in the next 10 years, since I am a teenager that shouldn't care about anything of the sort. But I would really like to get to know what it takes to become a doctor, what I should do to prepare myself through out my high school years. So, I came to this forum searching for anyone that would like to give me some sort of advice. Any kind!

Jumetosa, if you are serious, and I mean VERY serious, then check out the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements). Early in the book has information regarding high school student programs that entail early acceptance into a medical school program. They do however, have to have an extremely high GPA and complementary SAT score. I would look into this.

By the way, nice choice regarding Neurology. I just had a final interview at UCSF's neurology department in a stroke science group. I am eagerly crossing my fingers, cheers! :thumbup:

(personal message me if you have any questions, I'm a big brain enthusiast!)

Jumetosa said:

First of all, keep an open mind. You'll probably change career aspirations at least once or twice during college and might come back to the very same thing you wanted in the beginning.

Also, volunteer. Get actual clinical volunteer experience, even just shadowing a local doctor. Not only does it look very good on a medical school application, it will really show you what being a doctor is all about. Medical school is long and hard and expensive. The worst thing you can do is go into it without having fully explored whether or not you actually want to do it.

Otherwise, get good grades and participate in extracurriculars and be a normal college student. You'll notice that outside of volunteering there really isn't anything special you should (or even can) be doing for medical school. If you really want to be a neurologist, go to a local neurologist's office and ask whether or not you can shadow for a day or two. Just tag along as they go about their day to day business and see if it interests you.

physiclas87 said:
BTW- Brandeis has a great neuroscience program. Guess where I'm going in the fall...

Yup, that's about right... you're the one who is starting to study for the MCAT while you're in high school, right? I might've guessed you'd be going to Brandeis.

I went there, and people like that made me want to dig my eyes out with a spoon. Good to know that the class of 2009 will be having as much sex as the class of 2001 had :thumbdown:

Jumetosa said:

Iwish I had put more thought into this at your age. :idea: