Hindsight and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knowing

toes squeezing the edge
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

I joined this site today. I am very happy that I have found it. I have been reading the threads for 2009 invites, acceptance and rejections. My intentions are to apply to a Clinical PHD program by December 1st 2009 for the Fall 2010 year. This gives me the rest of the year to collect advice, tips, pitfalls, and all other helpful information prior to applying. Could you tell me what you would have done differently if you were given a do over? Are they really observing your social skills while waiting for the interview? What was your GPA and GRE scores? What was the crucial aspect that helped you in get in? I appreciate any and all advice very much.

Thanks from Texas :laugh::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I would have spent more time trying to find balanced Ph.D. programs, as I really didn't know they existed. I applied Pre-SDN, so I have no idea about anything. It can be quite the involved process.

I would have STARTED EARLIER. I read somewhere that doing the entire application process between say late august through the deadlines is like taking a 3 or 4 credit class. It was MUCH more time consuming than that. I think actually picking your list of schools and writing your personal statements mid summer would make things a lot less hectic in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have STARTED EARLIER. I read somewhere that doing the entire application process between say late august through the deadlines is like taking a 3 or 4 credit class. It was MUCH more time consuming than that. I think actually picking your list of schools and writing your personal statements mid summer would make things a lot less hectic in the fall.

And, if you're going to contact professors before applying, I would do it as soon as you have some in mind and have read enough to have interesting questions to ask.

In no particular order:

1) START EARLY....as posted above. Even though I began researching schools that previous spring, I was still over-nighting apps in December (...it was so unnecessary and cost me more money in the process).

2) Contact profs and make sure you match their research interests/can think of somewhere new to take it. Have some interesting ideas of your own to present. I didn't contact profs but still got into 3 PhDs and was waitlisted at one...but I should have. I think for really top notch schools this is a necessary step. Even if your CV is stellar, you should communicate with POIs before hand.

3) Heavily research the program before applying. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask...especially about funding. I realized (in the end) that I'm asking questions about my schools now that I should have asked in the beginning.

Good luck!!! :D

I would have started earlier, spent more time on clinical research as opposed to volunteer work, I would've taken a more focused class load, and like t4c, I would've looked for more balanced programs instead of just going with what I was familiar with and sending applications to extremely research-focused schools (Except PGSP-Stanford).

I would've spent more time in office hours, more time doing data entry for professors, more time looking around my community for opportunities to gain research experience of any kind.

I would've taken more math courses, so I would've had a better quantitative score on my GRE. I wouldn't have gotten married, so I'd be more mobile in choosing which program to select, I wouldn't have joined the Army after I got my B.A., and I would've joined Psi Chi.

Probably more, but that's enough for this purpose, I'm sure.

You have an advantage, and that is using SDN. I only stumbled upon this wonderful forum a few weeks back myself.

P.S., where in Texas do you live?

Follow up with schools to make sure they got all of your materials. Especially follow up with ETS, as you can count on them losing at least one of your scores!

Follow up with schools to make sure they got all of your materials. Especially follow up with ETS, as you can count on them losing at least one of your scores!

Yes!!! Call ETS a few times and make sure they have all your info correct. They had 2 different addresses for me and so they split up my scores (my general and subject scores were under 2 different files). I had to call and fax in a request to have the files merged and all scores resent. Luckily this was in enough time. Don't even assume things will run smoothly at ETS...always follow up. (**rant over**)

My turn:

1. Provide your LOR writers with lots and lots of time to write their letters (give them stamped and addressed envelopes, list of prof's in each program you hope to work with, and briefly explain why you are applying to each program that you chose)

2. Send in applications early

3. Take the GRE Psych

4. Be really confident in your personal statement and clearly state why you have chosen each specific school.

5. Get lots of people to read your personal statement

The application process is quite a nightmare and is extremely time consuming.... you will have a great advantage by starting to work on your material early in the year.

I wish you all the best!

I would have spent more time trying to find balanced Ph.D. programs, as I really didn't know they existed. I applied Pre-SDN, so I have no idea about anything. It can be quite the involved process.

What do you mean by balanced PHD programs exactly? What is Pre-SDN? :oops:Thank you so much for the advice.:)

In no particular order:

1) START EARLY....as posted above. Even though I began researching schools that previous spring, I was still over-nighting apps in December (...it was so unnecessary and cost me more money in the process).

2) Contact profs and make sure you match their research interests/can think of somewhere new to take it. Have some interesting ideas of your own to present. I didn't contact profs but still got into 3 PhDs and was waitlisted at one...but I should have. I think for really top notch schools this is a necessary step. Even if your CV is stellar, you should communicate with POIs before hand.

3) Heavily research the program before applying. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask...especially about funding. I realized (in the end) that I'm asking questions about my schools now that I should have asked in the beginning.

Good luck!!! :D

This is really good advice..as I have an appointment scheduled Wednesday with a POI .....thank you

I'm not at a good place to give advice at the moment, unless you want me to warn you about how absolutely soul-crushing this process is and to be ready to have some good coping skills. ;)

I'm not at a good place to give advice at the moment, unless you want me to warn you about how absolutely soul-crushing this process is and to be ready to have some good coping skills. ;)

Quoted for truuuuth.

What do you mean by balanced PHD programs exactly?

What we mean when we say "balanced" is that it strikes a nice balance between Research and Clinical curricula.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!!! Call ETS a few times and make sure they have all your info correct. They had 2 different addresses for me and so they split up my scores (my general and subject scores were under 2 different files). I had to call and fax in a request to have the files merged and all scores resent. Luckily this was in enough time. Don't even assume things will run smoothly at ETS...always follow up. (**rant over**)

Wow this happened to me too and caused alot of unnecessary stress. I would also say write down dates and times of calls and the name and id number of the person you speak with via phone. Also contact the GRE testing site directly the morning of your appointment. Last year my appointment was canceled because they loss power and no one contacted me until I was 15 min away during an hour and a half drive.

My turn:

1. Provide your LOR writers with lots and lots of time to write their letters (give them stamped and addressed envelopes, list of prof's in each program you hope to work with, and briefly explain why you are applying to each program that you chose)

2. Send in applications early

3. Take the GRE Psych

4. Be really confident in your personal statement and clearly state why you have chosen each specific school.

5. Get lots of people to read your personal statement

These are all really great pieces of advice. I would like to add that for your LOR writers, it might be beneficial to give them a copy of your CV and your personal statement- as they tend to be professors or people in the field of psych, they will offer really good advice and opinions about your personal statement and help you with any problems you are having with your CV. This will also help to enhance their recommendation with knowledge of your achievements.

OHH and never tell your LOR writers the real deadline for submissions- tell them it is at least two weeks ealier than you need it to be- I told mine I need them a month earlier, gave them two months to write them, and one of them still waited until 11/15 lol.

Last edited:
For LOR, I would also just give professors envelopes with the school name and no stamp. Ask them to return the letter sealed and signed to you several weeks before they're due and then put all the letters for each school in one envelope along with any other materials you have to send. Several schools lost my letters or processed them really really late, so it would have been comforting to know for sure that the professors wrote them and when it was sent. Plus, you can then fed-ex everything together and check to be sure the school got it. Would have saved me $16 in stamps too ;)

The other thing I wish I did is have more focused research experience. When I graduated colllege and got an RA (Research Assistant) job, everyone told me that any psychology research is good experience, match doesn't matter too much. Now, after 12 applications, 3 interviews, and 3 waitlists, I really wish I had gotten an RA job in my area of interest. "Well-rounded" is good for undergrad applications, not as much for graduate.

For interviews, it seemed like the first basic purpose is to see social skills, but after that they're trying to get a feel for your direction, experience, and academic fit with the program. That's just the impression I got from the interviews I did.

This experience has been incredibly humbling for me. Everyone you interview with will be similarly kick-ass, with awesome GPAs, GREs, and tons of experience. It's important to accept that just because you have those things doesn't mean you won't struggle with this process. Professors tranfers schools, funding gets cut, or another applicant recently won a Nobel prize. :) Good luck.

Last edited:
Wow...Thank You...I am printing this thread and placing it in my application binder. So please everybody keep adding anything you can think of would be wonderful and I'll keep asking in an effort to sharpen my skills.:cool::cool:

I have an interview on Wednesday with a POI and to find out if she is accepting 2010 students in her lab. I sought her out and emailed her for an interview. She told me she only had about 30 minutes but accepted my request. Is this informal....meaning can I wear jeans and a nice blouse? I do not think the interview calls for the dress suit. What do you think? I have a suit but it seems over dressed?

Wow...Thank You...I am printing this thread and placing it in my application binder. So please everybody keep adding anything you can think of would be wonderful and I'll keep asking in an effort to sharpen my skills.:cool::cool:

I have an interview on Wednesday with a POI and to find out if she is accepting 2010 students in her lab. I sought her out and emailed her for an interview. She told me she only had about 30 minutes but accepted my request. Is this informal....meaning can I wear jeans and a nice blouse? I do not think the interview calls for the dress suit. What do you think? I have a suit but it seems over dressed?

When I went to meet with a POI in the late fall last year (I, too, am applying for fall 2010) I wore heels, nice jeans, and a nice shirt.

I wore a collared shirt and khakis to meet my POI, but I think as long as your attire is professional and neat, and you're well-groomed, there won't be any problems.

And I don't find 30 minutes to be a particularly conspicuous amount of time, as I am sure your POI is a very busy person!

Hey Aggieanthony....:) I just saw your PS from yesterday...I live in Tyler, Texas about an hour and thirty minutes from Dallas. Where are you at in California and why? LOLOLOLOL:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We moved from Texas when I finished my enlistment in the Army last February!

Why California? Why not California! The real reason is really complicated, and involves family problems (Mother's health), and additionally, some of the best schools for Law are in CA, and my wife's starting law school this coming fall. And, how can you beat skiing, surfing/diving, and the awesome cultural centers of California? The entire time I was in Texas, there wasn't a single book-signing! But since we've been back in Cali, we've been to half a dozen. Just one example...

Nothing wrong with Texas, I was just put there by the Army and didn't feel much like staying, so when it came time to choose a new place to reside, California was the natural one.

We moved from Texas when I finished my enlistment in the Army last February!

Why California? Why not California! The real reason is really complicated, and involves family problems (Mother's health), and additionally, some of the best schools for Law are in CA, and my wife's starting law school this coming fall. And, how can you beat skiing, surfing/diving, and the awesome cultural centers of California? The entire time I was in Texas, there wasn't a single book-signing! But since we've been back in Cali, we've been to half a dozen. Just one example...

Nothing wrong with Texas, I was just put there by the Army and didn't feel much like staying, so when it came time to choose a new place to reside, California was the natural one.

Yes you are right about the all in one recreational activities...:D I visited there last summer and it was everything you could do all in one state. I bought a book by Dr. Aaron Beck about Cognitive Therapy it would be great to get it signed so I know what you mean. Family reasons makes sense too...:) Best Wishes

When I went to meet with a POI in the late fall last year (I, too, am applying for fall 2010) I wore heels, nice jeans, and a nice shirt.

I have had people tell me it is too early to be interviewing because faculty does not know about their funding as of yet... Have you had anyone tell you this? I am going as long as they are accepting interviews.:xf::)

For LOR, I would also just give professors envelopes with the school name and no stamp. Ask them to return the letter sealed and signed to you several weeks before they're due and then put all the letters for each school in one envelope along with any other materials you have to send. Several schools lost my letters or processed them really really late, so it would have been comforting to know for sure that the professors wrote them and when it was sent. Plus, you can then fed-ex everything together and check to be sure the school got it. Would have saved me $16 in stamps too ;)

The other thing I wish I did is have more focused research experience. When I graduated colllege and got an RA (Research Assistant) job, everyone told me that any psychology research is good experience, match doesn't matter too much. Now, after 12 applications, 3 interviews, and 3 waitlists, I really wish I had gotten an RA job in my area of interest. "Well-rounded" is good for undergrad applications, not as much for graduate.

For interviews, it seemed like the first basic purpose is to see social skills, but after that they're trying to get a feel for your direction, experience, and academic fit with the program. That's just the impression I got from the interviews I did.

This experience has been incredibly humbling for me. Everyone you interview with will be similarly kick-ass, with awesome GPAs, GREs, and tons of experience. It's important to accept that just because you have those things doesn't mean you won't struggle with this process. Professors tranfers schools, funding gets cut, or another applicant recently won a Nobel prize. :) Good luck.

This is such wonderful advice. Especially about the envelopes but with no stamps and to return them to me...Priceless information...Thank You... How many schools did you apply to?

These are all really great pieces of advice. I would like to add that for your LOR writers, it might be beneficial to give them a copy of your CV and your personal statement- as they tend to be professors or people in the field of psych, they will offer really good advice and opinions about your personal statement and help you with any problems you are having with your CV. This will also help to enhance their recommendation with knowledge of your achievements.

OHH and never tell your LOR writers the real deadline for submissions- tell them it is at least two weeks ealier than you need it to be- I told mine I need them a month earlier, gave them two months to write them, and one of them still waited until 11/15 lol.

This again is priceless information, gold nuggets of knowledge that I did not know before, guaranteed to make a huge difference when time gets short and things get pressured...You are right I may tell me a deadline two months before the real one!!!!!LOLOL:laugh::laugh:

I have had people tell me it is too early to be interviewing because faculty does not know about their funding as of yet... Have you had anyone tell you this? I am going as long as they are accepting interviews.:xf::)

They can estimate their funding from precedence - I would go. Sometimes, when you listen to people, you can be dissuaded to do the wrong thing.

If s/he wants to interview you, go.

They can estimate their funding from precedence - I would go. Sometimes, when you listen to people, you can be dissuaded to do the wrong thing.

If s/he wants to interview you, go.

Even if they do not know their funding, it is a great way for you to get acclimated to the interview process, know more of what you're interested in, and make great connections. Psychology is about networking too, it doesn't hurt to start making those connections early.

Even if they do not know their funding, it is a great way for you to get acclimated to the interview process, know more of what you're interested in, and make great connections. Psychology is about networking too, it doesn't hurt to start making those connections early.

Yep!

That is exactly what I was thinking.......What difference does it make if it is providing excellent practice for me and each time I'll know more than I did before. A huge part of this interview is discussion of her interest and mine in Attachment Theory. Thanks guys you are so great!!!!:D

This is such wonderful advice. Especially about the envelopes but with no stamps and to return them to me...Priceless information...Thank You... How many schools did you apply to?

I originally had the same plan about sending everything together in one big envelope. However, (I'm not sure how long ago the OP went through the application process) I quickly learned while filling out applications that the majority of schools now request LOR be sent electronically. Generally when filling out the application, you provide the name, email, and phone # of your reccomenders and the school sends them an email with a link for them to submit their letter. I applied to 12 schools and a mere 2 schools still requested written letters. A handful said they would accept either, but the consensus seemed to be that they preferred electornic submission.

I also echo the START EARLY advice. The last week or so before December 1 I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. My largest area of difficulty was transcripts. Generally schools will ask for transcripts from every college or university ever attended. I did dual enrollment in high school plus summer classes at an institution near my home so sending 2 copies from each of 3 schools (sometimes to 2 different addresses-- a grad school and department head, for example) was incredibly confusing and required a spread sheet. Once again some preferred electronic while some preferred hard copies. The general consensus for my schools was that either form would be okay.

Lastly, start saving $$. I didn't realize how expensive this whole process would be. Between the app fees, transcript mailing fees, ETS score sending fees, after 12 schools I racked up nearly $1,000 in application related expenses.

Best of luck!! :luck:

I also kept a spread sheet, as well as made one for my LoR writers detailing the letter due date, whether it was a letter, form, or both, and the action to be taken for it (give back to me, mail, or fill out online).

I also kept a spread sheet, as well as made one for my LoR writers detailing the letter due date, whether it was a letter, form, or both, and the action to be taken for it (give back to me, mail, or fill out online).

I second that. I also gave them my contact information and let them know when they would hear reminders from me. The downside of getting your LOR writers alot of time to complete them is that they have alot of time to complete them so they will wait until the last minute, and also they have very busy lives and you are not the only one they may have to write LOR's for. My prof appreciated the outline I gave them, and the reminders. I know it may feel like you are being bothersome at times, but remember this is your education, they already have graduate degrees, and if anyone should mess it up for you, it should be you lol.

OH and another thing, if they are electronically submitted, some schools will let you submit your application even though your recommendors have not submitted their LOR's. Even if this is true, tell your LOR writers that you will not be able to submit your application until AFTER they have submitted their LOR, this will put a bit of fire under their butts.

Also look into external fellowships yourself. The APA has fellowship opportunities every year, and they typically require multiple LOR's so it would behoove you to have this taken care of while you are soliciting LOR's for grad school admissions. Kill two birds with one stone- I hate this cliche by the way, and in no way I am supporting the killing of birds : )

Last edited:
I originally had the same plan about sending everything together in one big envelope. However, (I'm not sure how long ago the OP went through the application process) I quickly learned while filling out applications that the majority of schools now request LOR be sent electronically. Generally when filling out the application, you provide the name, email, and phone # of your reccomenders and the school sends them an email with a link for them to submit their letter. I applied to 12 schools and a mere 2 schools still requested written letters. A handful said they would accept either, but the consensus seemed to be that they preferred electornic submission.

I applied this year. Most of the schools requested electronic LOR, but all of them said somewhere on the app that paper were ones were accepted, but not preferred. One of my reference writers said he didn't want to do online ones and another writer "strongly preferred" only paper ones. Since I was applying to 13 schools I stuck with paper ones for consistency and to avoid irritating my letter writers.

I wasn't exactly interviewing, I won't be turning in my applications until December 2009. I had contacted a researcher I was interested in working with (albeit early lol) and he invited me to come in and see the lab. and talk a little about my research interests. He gave me a good hour of his time, and he's pretty much at the top of my list for researchers I'd want to work with in grad. school, so I was grateful for the opportunity. I've been in touch since, and he invited me to come see some dissertation defenses for his students. I work with some of his students at Hopkins, too, so that might have been a consideration, too.

Here are my tips:

1.) Take the general GRE in the summer (if you aren't taking summer classes). Allow the entire summer to study and take it just before classes start. I had a lot of friends take the GRE during the fall while taking a full schedule and I think it really impacted their scores. I feel that many of them, who were more amibitious and intelligent than me, scored much lower than me (I took it in the summer).

2.) Apply to a few safety schools. I got accepted at my top choice, BUT, I got rejected without even getting interview invites from a lot of schools that I thought I fit perfectly with (and far exceeded their GPA/GRE score averages).

3.) Realize that a lot of the acceptance process is arbitrary and out of your control, unfortunately.

I also wish I knew the above a year ago!

I don't think many top researchers (POI's) will give you the time of day if you don't have relevant experience in their field of interest, even if you have mucho experience in a different field including 3 papers, one as first author in a solid journal! :smuggrin:

of course, i understand where they're coming from...kinda :)

Last edited:
I also wish I knew the above a year ago!

I don't think many top researchers (POI's) will give you the time of day if you don't have relevant experience in their field of interest, even if you have mucho experience in a different field including 3 papers, one as first author in a solid journal! :smuggrin:

of course, i understand where they're coming from...kinda :)

This is new information too because I have been told it does not matter what area of interest you do research in as long as you get research experience. I am doing research in Social....my area of interest is in Clinical Psychopathology and it's etiology. My school is a small university, maybe this is a drawback? The prof handling clinical works mainly with and prefers students in the master's program. I have discussed research with him before but I don't want to be pushy with him either? Has anyone ever submitted research without a prof to a conference or otherwise?

This is new information too because I have been told it does not matter what area of interest you do research in as long as you get research experience. I am doing research in Social....my area of interest is in Clinical Psychopathology and it's etiology. My school is a small university, maybe this is a drawback? The prof handling clinical works mainly with and prefers students in the master's program. I have discussed research with him before but I don't want to be pushy with him either? Has anyone ever submitted research without a prof to a conference or otherwise?

I don't think it is a deal breaker if you are doing research that is not directly related to your POI in grad school. I will say it gives you a better advantage, but any research is better than no research at all. Speaking from personal experience, my interests are in anxiety and depression in adolescents and young adults from underserved populations. My undergrad research was in neuropsychology and I still got into 3 schools. An advantage is just an advantage, not a guarantee.

What do you mean by balanced PHD programs exactly? What is Pre-SDN? :oops:Thank you so much for the advice.:)

"Balanced" is a term you'll hear in regard to the split between research and more applied training. Some places are very research heavy and do not offer many opportunities for clinical hours, while other places will short-change research training. I found out a couple years into the process (from meeting people at conferences, etc) that there were some great lesser known Uni's out there that would probably have been a better fit for me.

As for Pre-SDN.....because I started my search in 2004, the Clinical Psychology section of SDN was not developed, so I had no idea about much of this process. I bought the Grad Guide to Clinical Psych book, but there really is so much more involved*. My mentor and most of my other professors were 30+ years out of graduate school, so the process was quite different from their experiences. Live and learn I guess.

*I actually started putting together a primer about applying to clinical/counseling programs. I'll eventually finish it one of these years and hopefully get it published as an adjunct to the Grad. Guide to Clinical Psych book.

"Balanced" is a term you'll hear in regard to the split between research and more applied training. Some places are very research heavy and do not offer many opportunities for clinical hours, while other places will short-change research training. I found out a couple years into the process (from meeting people at conferences, etc) that there were some great lesser known Uni's out there that would probably have been a better fit for me.

As for Pre-SDN.....because I started my search in 2004, the Clinical Psychology section of SDN was not developed, so I had no idea about much of this process. I bought the Grad Guide to Clinical Psych book, but there really is so much more involved*. My mentor and most of my other professors were 30+ years out of graduate school, so the process was quite different from their experiences. Live and learn I guess.

*I actually started putting together a primer about applying to clinical/counseling programs. I'll eventually finish it one of these years and hopefully get it published as an adjunct to the Grad. Guide to Clinical Psych book.

I have that book on reserve to be picked up by me tomorrow at Barnes and Noble.
What is Pre-SDN?
I am running into that alot as well(my profs are a long time out of school and just wanna retire soon) The ones that are supposed to work with students..well I get the feeling they don't really want to they just have to...:(

Have you ever heard of students submitting research without a prof on their own? Is this never done?

Pre-SDN means before this site was in existence, or at least before it was what it is today.

I assumed that is what it was for but wasn't sure. Thank You:)

Does anybody have any advice about a research question? The conference deadline is coming up ...do you think I should ask again about joining in for the research or is it too pushy? This is a different prof, different area of research. I am still working on a study with the social area. Does anyone participate in research simultaneously in two areas with two profs? The conferences are seperate and at seperate times this year. If you attend a conference in that area does that help at all or only publications?

Thanks,

Dianne

Does anybody have any advice about a research question? The conference deadline is coming up ...do you think I should ask again about joining in for the research or is it too pushy? This is a different prof, different area of research. I am still working on a study with the social area. Does anyone participate in research simultaneously in two areas with two profs? The conferences are seperate and at seperate times this year. If you attend a conference in that area does that help at all or only publications?

Thanks,

Dianne

I think we're just confused what you mean (or at least I am). How are you getting data without the faculty member's support? What COULD you submit at this point? Any IRB I've heard of requires a PI on site who generally has to be a faculty member. If you've managed to gather data on your own then you wouldn't be barred from submitting it without a faculty member, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a situation where that could happen.

If you're "joining in" for the research at this point, you are nowhere near the stage where you get to help with conference submissions. This is something that is done after spending a substantial amount of time on the study, unless you have some unique skill they require for the submission (i.e. you are the only one who knows how to do the stats). That is rarely the case for grad students, let alone undergrads. When undergrads get to help with presentations and publications its generally a "reward" for hard work getting the study run. Even if its your own honor's thesis, you will generally have your faculty advisor included on any submissions as only rarely are undergrads capable of working that independently.

Conference attendance will help since it gives you something to talk about, can give you ideas about where the field is going, help you get a sense of what is out there, etc. Its not something you put on your CV since "Paid registration fee" isn't a noteworthy accomplishment. I love conferences, so I'd go to any one that I could, but that's just me;) Plenty of people go to multiple conferences...I hope to do a minimum of 2 a year. Its obviously more rare for an undergrad, but whatever, there's no reason you can't, it just requires more involvement than many people have at that stage.

I think we're just confused what you mean (or at least I am). How are you getting data without the faculty member's support? What COULD you submit at this point? Any IRB I've heard of requires a PI on site who generally has to be a faculty member. If you've managed to gather data on your own then you wouldn't be barred from submitting it without a faculty member, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a situation where that could happen.

If you're "joining in" for the research at this point, you are nowhere near the stage where you get to help with conference submissions. This is something that is done after spending a substantial amount of time on the study, unless you have some unique skill they require for the submission (i.e. you are the only one who knows how to do the stats). That is rarely the case for grad students, let alone undergrads. When undergrads get to help with presentations and publications its generally a "reward" for hard work getting the study run. Even if its your own honor's thesis, you will generally have your faculty advisor included on any submissions as only rarely are undergrads capable of working that independently.

Conference attendance will help since it gives you something to talk about, can give you ideas about where the field is going, help you get a sense of what is out there, etc. Its not something you put on your CV since "Paid registration fee" isn't a noteworthy accomplishment. I love conferences, so I'd go to any one that I could, but that's just me;) Plenty of people go to multiple conferences...I hope to do a minimum of 2 a year. Its obviously more rare for an undergrad, but whatever, there's no reason you can't, it just requires more involvement than many people have at that stage.

Thank you for the advice, it helps.

Oh, here's some advice I just realized from another thread:

When it gets to the interview stage, don't take anything as a done deal until you actually get the acceptance. People may tell you that you're a great candidate, that they're rooting for you, etc., and you still may not get in.