Hip RF question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrosenrosen

Pain Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've run into this problem a number of times when doing blocks or RF for hips: the femoral articular branch (12 o'clock position) tends to be overlayed by the psoas tendon. I got this contrast pattern today:

1625681067698.png

I moved the needle from one side of that streak to the other before I finally got some non-psoas contrast at this more medial position. Any suggestions for avoiding this? Coming in from more laterally to get under it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've run into this problem a number of times when doing blocks or RF for hips: the femoral articular branch (12 o'clock position) tends to be overlayed by the psoas tendon. I got this contrast pattern today:

View attachment 340158

I moved the needle from one side of that streak to the other before I finally got some non-psoas contrast at this more medial position. Any suggestions for avoiding this? Coming in from more laterally to get under it?

I usually come in more lateral to get to that position

Reactions: 1 user
I've run into this problem a number of times when doing blocks or RF for hips: the femoral articular branch (12 o'clock position) tends to be overlayed by the psoas tendon. I got this contrast pattern today: I moved the needle from one side of that streak to the other before I finally got some non-psoas contrast at this more medial position. Any suggestions for avoiding this? Coming in from more laterally to get under it?
It's a fluoro guided PENG block.

Agreed though, more laterally and slide under. The bevel of your needle may be too long when the tip is touching bone to get under the tendon.