Hiring conventions at AMCs for post-bacc research gigs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cinnabon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, just something I wanted to clear up and couldn't quite get an exact answer to yet. Basically it's that time of year where most of us looking for post-bacc gigs are starting to apply. I sent in a few applications to labs I'm interested in, just to the career portals, and wanted to know if I should reach out to the PIs regarding my application or if I should simply wait to see if they respond?

Members don't see this ad.

It may or may not get you much, but I don't think there is any harm in reaching out. These generally get routed through HR who does the initial screen. Usually this means running it through crummy software that HR reps will refuse to acknowledge doesn't work very well. I'd probably only do it for positions you are particularly interested in or a particularly good fit for you - just want to make sure you don't get screened out because the PI said he "prefers 2 years of research experience" and you have 1 year and 9 months of incredibly relevant research experience but HR decides they'd rather have someone with 2 years of completely irrelevant research experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. You absolutely should. I am a IRTA research post-bacc at the NIH right now and I had 3 interviews based on me reaching out to PI's with my resume etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. You absolutely should. I am a IRTA research post-bacc at the NIH right now and I had 3 interviews based on me reaching out to PI's with my resume etc.
The way I went about it was I sent an email first to the PI of interest briefly introducing myself and why I am emailing them. Then I told them I really enjoyed the work being done in "X" paper and that I have skills that are similar to what was required in that. Finally, I explained that I was trying to attend medical school and working for his/her lab and gaining pubs would help me reach that goal. Left my phone number and email address and attached my resume. I think 9 NIH PI's responded and 3 offered me an interview just based on the email I sent.

Reactions: 1 user
The way I went about it was I sent an email first to the PI of interest briefly introducing myself and why I am emailing them. Then I told them I really enjoyed the work being done in "X" paper and that I have skills that are similar to what was required in that. Finally, I explained that I was trying to attend medical school and working for his/her lab and gaining pubs would help me reach that goal. Left my phone number and email address and attached my resume. I think 9 NIH PI's responded and 3 offered me an interview just based on the email I sent.
I think this is solid advice. I've had several friends get AMC roles this way. Some of them were volunteer and some were paid, but it doesn't hurt to ask. While some people might re-route you through HR, many positions take a while to get posted and by the time they do get posted the PI already might have someone in mind. As long as the work in that lab interests you, I say go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
While some people might re-route you through HR, many positions take a while to get posted and by the time they do get posted the PI already might have someone in mind.
Even if they do re-route you (and chances are they will as usually institutional policies will require all applications be funneled through official channels), you are on their radar. They may request to see your application even if HR doesn't forward it.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if they do re-route you (and chances are they will as usually institutional policies will require all applications be funneled through official channels), you are on their radar. They may request to see your application even if HR doesn't forward it.
Just wanted to thank everyone, I 100% wouldn't have emailed anyone unless someone told me It was acceptable so this was a huge help.