Histo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcar18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Histology is an exercise in Imagination. Discuss...

Members don't see this ad.

Modern art for medical students. "And over here you can sort of see these basophilic inclusions, they're representative of a contemporary idealism's struggle against false nature. I especially like the use of negative cytoplasmic space."

I also enjoy: "This cell is characterized by its round nucleus"

O its so clear now, I can pick that one out from all the rest.

Also

"Why is this called a basophil and not that one?"
"because its sort of blue, well it usually is but this one is stained badly"

Members don't see this ad :)
They want to teach us how to "think." Yet, on our exams, if something is not there, we have to say what should be there. So you write, "I SHOULD be seeing the Auerbach's plexus....but I don't." So if I were to really "think" my way through it and write what I saw, I would miss the questions.

So yeah, imagination is key.

Everything is a purple tube. I hate purple tubes.

Modern art for medical students. "And over here you can sort of see these basophilic inclusions, they're representative of a contemporary idealism's struggle against false nature. I especially like the use of negative cytoplasmic space."

:laugh: lol. I never realized such art analysis was necessary for interpreting histo sections.

I do wonder why they show us lousy slides though. It's like if it isn't a good slide, why are you using it as an example?

...I do wonder why they show us lousy slides though. It's like if it isn't a good slide, why are you using it as an example?
I agree. Mostly I try to come up with a list of features of each cell - oseoclast is large, multinucleate with ruffled border on bone, that sort of thing.

My school puts out a CD with 50-60 good images per tissue type, with structures highlighted and quiz questions built in. Since I started using it, my scores have gone up, and I don't attend histo lab anymore...

I do wonder why they show us lousy slides though. It's like if it isn't a good slide, why are you using it as an example?

Because future slides won't be perfect so they're trying to set us up for failure in the future? It'll make us better doctors? Yeah, probably not.

An oft-used phrase by a histo professor at my school is "how do I know that?"...(everyone waits with bated breath for the secret to differentiating two like structures)..."because I took this class". It might have been funny the first time...