Historically Neurolohy friendly pain programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro2pain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was perusing through the ACGME list of pain fellowships here: https://www.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun?ReportId=1&CurrentYear=2013&SpecialtyId=152

Out of 92 ACGME accredited programs, 10 are PMR run, 1 is Neurology (USF), 3 have "no core program".

If anyone could help, please let me know which programs are historically neurology friendly? As in have taken neurology or psych residents in the past and generally don't have a significant bias?

I know of a few with a neurology resident trackrecord so far:
1. USF
2. Mt. SINAI
3. Johns Hopkins
4. Stanford (took only 1 in past five years and she was in-house so not sure exactly how friendly to outside applicants)

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I need to add:

I know of a few with a neurology resident trackrecord so far:
1. USF
2. Mt. SINAI
3. Johns Hopkins
4. Stanford (took only 1 in past five years and she was in-house so not sure exactly how friendly to outside applicants)
5. Wayne State/Detroit Medical Center

Penn State Hershey. PD and another core attending are pain fellowship trained neurologists. Program is in anesthesia dept.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Minnesota is PMR based but run by two neurologists. It's a newer small program, but the facilities were nice and so were the attendings. Large pediatric hospital if you have any interest in pediatric exposure.

If you're applying this year, I'd just apply anywhere and everywhere you can and don't wait any longer. Coming from neuro you'll be at a disadvantage unfortunately so don't limit your options. Also don't spell neurology with an H on your applications. Jk.

I know a guy from my hospital's neuro program who matched at UPMC last year for pain.

MD Anderson and UT San Antonio have trained neurologists in the past.

I think UCSD has two oncoming neurology residents. Additionally the PD is also a neurologist.

I think UCSD has two oncoming neurology residents. Additionally the PD is also a neurologist.

Unless something changed in the past few months, the fellowship director is an anesthesiologist. There is one attending who is a neurologist.

I don't know what specialties the new fellows are coming from, but UCSD has had some fellows come from non-anesthesia specialties in the past (PM&R, Psych, IM, Interventional Rads).

You are correct jeebus, I was confused. Sorry for the misdirection.

Ok thanks guys, so updated list for future reference:

1. USF
2. Mt. SINAI
3. Johns Hopkins
6. Penn State
7. UCSD
8. UWash-seattle
9. UMinn
10. UPMC
11. UCSF
12. MD Anderson
13. UT San Antonio
14. Cleveland Clinic

Members don't see this ad :)
1. USF
2. Mt. SINAI
3. Johns Hopkins
6. Penn State
7. UCSD
8. UWash-seattle
9. UMinn
10. UPMC
11. UCSF
12. MD Anderson
13. UT San Antonio
14. Cleveland Clinic
15. University of Virginia
16. SUNY Upstate
17. Thomas Jefferson
18: Oregon Health and Science
19. ......

Keep em coming!

Ok, I am a pain fellow from Neurology, In addition to some of the programs listed above, I also got interviews from the following programs when I applied for fellowship 2 years ago:
UC Davis, NYU, University of Miami, WUSTL, Thomas Jefferson. There are Neurology fellows at MGH and BWH this year as well.

More and more pain fellowship programs are open to Neurologists now; actually I think most programs will consider you for interview. I have met at least 15 to 20 pain fellows that are trained in Neurology this year and this is only from my limited experience.

1. USF
2. Mt. SINAI
3. Johns Hopkins
6. Penn State
7. UCSD
8. UWash-seattle
9. UMinn
10. UPMC
11. UCSF
12. MD Anderson
13. UT San Antonio
14. Cleveland Clinic
15. University of Virginia
16. SUNY Upstate
17. Thomas Jefferson
18: Oregon Health and Science
19. UC Davis
20. NYU
21. Miami
22. WUSTL
23. Thomas Jefferson
24. MGH
25. BWH

Well seems like a ton of programs, at least on paper, seem to be willing to take neurology residents. Any body know of programs that DEFINITELY DO NOT take neurology residents? ERAS is super expensive and would like to cut down costs ;-)

All programs are forced to state they accept non-anes residents as the ACGME mandates. The question is what programs have never taken a non-anes fellow.
Well seems like a ton of programs, at least on paper, seem to be willing to take neurology residents. Any body know of programs that DEFINITELY DO NOT take neurology residents? ERAS is super expensive and would like to cut down costs ;-)

The programs that don't take non-anesthesia are more likely to be the ones making their fellows taking general-anesthesia scut-call, irrelevant to Pain training, to fill a need for themselves so they can have cushier attending schedules themselves with less call.

Any required call or scut-shifts in your primary specialty during Pain fellowship is pointless (since you've already completed a residency in it) and only steals from you precious time you need to learn Pain in a very short 12 months.

All programs are forced to state they accept non-anes residents as the ACGME mandates. The question is what programs have never taken a non-anes fellow.
True. I'm pretty sure there were programs that interviewed me only to pad their "multi-disciplinary" track record and had no intention of taking me, from a non-anesthesia background. The problem is that no one tells you that ahead of time. But hey, you only need one.

Why are you selling yourself so short? If they offered an interview, at least they thought they might take you, irrespective of your previous training.... Give them and yourself some credit...