Hmm... Am I out of my freaking mind!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snipza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to SDN and I am very excited to soak in any and all information anyone has for me.

The reason I am posting is to gather opinions about the possibility of me entering a medical school. Here is a little about my background:

-21 years old
-3.5-ish GPA in High School (do not recall one bit what it really was. I'm sure it is irrelevant when it comes to Med. School)
-Received a 4-Year Marine Option NROTC scholarship to the U of New Mexico.
-Did very poorly at U of New Mexico, partied waaaaaayyyyyy too much, (left with 1.4 GPA after my first year) and ended up dropping my scholarship.

-Now at a community college here in California.
-Been here since Fall '10.
-Was lost for a year after losing my scholarship. I switched my major several times which left me needing to start over several times; the reason why I am still here.
-Getting my A.S. in Business Admin. after this semester (Fall '12).
-Raised that 1.4 GPA to a 2.47 GPA so far.
-Making my GPA a priority.
-Completing transfer requirements after Spring '13.
-Have guaranteed admission to CSUSB for Fall '13. Don't know if I'll go there or CSU San Marcos/SDSU/or a private (U of Redlands).
-Planning to major in Business Administration - Accounting.
-Plan to do post-bac to complete med pre reqs.
==========================================================

Now, I know my current stats are nothing to scream about. I made the decision this past summer to pursue medicine. I love being around people. I love helping people. I love seeing people do well. My background is VERY rough and I have MAJOR doubts about my ability to get into a DO or MD school.

I have calculated that for the next 95 units... I must maintain something like a 3.8 GPA+ to receive an overall 3.4 GPA. I firmly believe it is doable. I cut almost half my work hours this semester to focus on school more and I am doing better. I wish I didn't have to work but I do. I can choose not to work, but the financial burden on my mother would increase and she has enough to worry about. I have a wonderful girlfriend of 3 years who is ok with holding off children and marriage until I am done with med school.

Does anyone have any advice for me as far as reaching acceptable stats to even be considered?
The fire is burning in me and I know I will not regret pursuing this... but, at this stage, and my metrics, is it worth pursuing? Or should I forget about it and keep dreaming? I want it so bad, but there's little ounce of doubt that is always hovering around in my head.... Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

if you raise your gpa to a 3.4 you'll be competitive for DO, and nail the mcat too of course. are you a minority?

I am Filipino/Chinese. I would assume I am a minority (Asian categorization). Thx for the quick reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools are mainly concerned with an upward trend if you botched something. Just be ready to explain that.

I am Filipino/Chinese. I would assume I am a minority (Asian categorization). Thx for the quick reply!

When people ask are you a minority in medicine, they are referring to Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans.
So, you are not a minority in medical school.
I would continue to do well in your remaining classes and get 27+ on your MCAT.