HNR Block Military tax software (supposed to be free, but getting charged)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else using the the free (via Mil Tax Access MilTax Preparation and e-Filing | Military OneSource ), but then at the end, when you're trying to actually file, getting charged by HNR block? see screenshot
1707602650942.png

Is this because I'm using the 'Self Employment' mode? (for reported self employment incoming, requiring a Schedule C). Is that mode not included in the 'free' version for military?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure it's the self-employment. That's happened to me the last few years as well, and it doesn't pop up with the charge until you tell it you have additional/non W-2 income.

It'll add additional charges if you need anything else, too. The "free military" version is basically your W-2 only.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re a USAA member you get a free or discounted access to Turbo Tax via the USAA webpage.

Looks like you only get Turbo Tax Online Deluxe. Also only intended for a W2, doesn't include any 1099 self employed income. I guess I'll pay for the upgraded version with HNR block (I can certainly afford it, made a niche 1099 income!)

1707712293763.png

Use the Cash App submission. I'm really sick of this bait and switch for every little thing. Only go with programs that literally have no capacity to charge you.

USAA?
lol

They have done a 180 corporate turnaround during my career and not for the better.
Yes they have changed somewhat since I joined in 1983. But my 40 years of annual subscriber savings account rebates, and now the annual Senior Bonus rebate @ 40 years membership, gave me back almost ~$1,900 of last year’s premium payments. Hard to find that with State Farm, etc.

The TurboTax pricing for USAA members varies by status and product. This is what I get after logging in at USAA.

Yeah, but it looks like you'll still pay for the state filing, and you'll likely need to pay for the Full Service version if you want do a 1099 (self employed) with a Schedule C.

I think most of these free miliary services are intended just for your W2 (as someone mentioned above).

Yes they have changed somewhat since I joined in 1983. But my 40 years of annual subscriber savings account rebates, and now the annual Senior Bonus rebate @ 40 years membership, gave me back almost ~$1,900 of last year’s premium payments. Hard to find that with State Farm, etc.
I was done with them when they tacked on a 3k ‘funding fee’ to a VA loan. Pure profit and Navy Federal didn’t.

I was done with them when they tacked on a 3k ‘funding fee’ to a VA loan. Pure profit and Navy Federal didn’t.

You do learn quickly how these 'military friendly' financial institutions aren't so friendly, especially on the banking side of the house. USAA's interest rates (for instance) are terrible.

On the insurance side, I'll give them credit, they're still pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW I was able to file with MilTax on H&R Block for $0.00. My return did not include any state return as I live in an income tax-free state. I filed with a W-2 and 1099 including a schedule C for expense deductions, as well as various 1099s from interest, dividends, and side gig stuff. My W-2 income was a lot more than my 1099, idk if that matters.

As an alternative, I was looking into FreeTaxUSA and they seem to actually be free aside from $15 for a state return. Maybe you can try them out.