Hobbies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeurmeds02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

Do you guys find time for real hobbies...like other than binging on netflix? After talking to a few people, most less academically-inclined residency programs (and maybe even some academic ones) want students who actually have lives outside of medicine. Even more importantly than trying to check that box, it's actually just good for overall well-being.

What are some of the things that you guys are involved in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken up fly-fishing and plan on learning to snowboard. I think it helps just to get outside for a bit.

I've taken up fly-fishing and plan on learning to snowboard. I think it helps just to get outside for a bit.

Don't forget diving to catch game-winning touchdowns with 5 seconds left on the clock to crush hopes and dreams of undergrads who think they can hang.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty active in the local music scene, and go to a show a week! Not completely convinced I'll be writing about crowd surfing / stage diving on ERAs though...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty active in the local music scene, and go to a show a week! Not completely convinced I'll be writing about crowd surfing / stage diving on ERAs though...
Hired.

Run and practice music daily.

Reactions: 2 users
sports yo. sotball, basketball, whatever we can organize

I'm not accepted yet or anything but I'm a race car driver. Not sure how programs will look at that, but it's been something I've done my whole life. :)

I'm not accepted yet or anything but I'm a race car driver. Not sure how programs will look at that, but it's been something I've done my whole life. :)
how much money do you need to be a racecar driver?

how much money do you need to be a racecar driver?
Well, I've grown up in it and I live where racing is a common thing. All of the nascar teams are here and all of the drivers are here.. and I used to be a driving instructor at the petty driving school, so having connections helps. It's pretty expensive if it's on your own dime, but if you're decent enough and have friends and teams that know you, they'll let you use their equipment for either free advertising and signing a crash waiver to where you're responsible for any damages, or let you rent. I've never had to use my own hauler or anything; being 27 I have other priorities than being in a touring series (obviously) but it can get expensive very quickly if you don't know what you're doing or know anyone that would let you drive for them. I spend a decent amount of weekends at the local F1 inspired karting track that's owned by GoPro and racing with some nascar buddies on their race karts. It's pretty fun, but asphalt ovals are my forte. To give a breakdown of my own personal equipment:

Helmet- Stilo Carbon $1500
Firesuit- Impact $750
Gloves and Shoes both alpine star- $600
Koolbox clean O2 helmet hookup- $3000 (worth it in a 120 degree race car to keep your head 30 degrees cooler and have clean air in your helmet with all the CO)
Custom Lajoie body-molded seat- didn't pay for, I got it as a gift when Petty saw me go in my first big series race but probably around $1000

All of that is necessity. You can't get into a stock car or any sanctioned race without these items and unless you're a pro that uses a suit for a season and gets a new one because you're team pays for it and you're rich, you can usually use most of these items for a lot of your career unless they become damaged. Those are actually decent prices for the amount of safety you have. Cars, it depends on what series you're in. Legends can run anywhere from 5k-20k, late models 10-50k+, USAC not sure never raced them, but it gets up there. Thankfully, I have a pretty good resume in the racing department and my family has been in the business since NASCAR's inception, so it helps. Who you know is a very big thing in racing. Sucks but it's true. There's actually a doctor that is a pro racer - patrick staropoli. We met at a driver challenge that Michael Waltrip had put on for some drivers and he won and his career took off. He would race professionally while going to medical school. Undergrad at Harvard, medical school at U of Miami. He just graduated, I believe and is in residency. Most likely not racing right now with that on his plate haha.

have some close friends who hike, do roller derby, boxing, rock-climbing, rowing, all possible during med school if you set out the time for it. I've also been lucky to find other classmates who play instruments and we have semi-regular jam sessions. it's nice to forget about medicine for a good minute

Counter strike global offensive
Rainbow six: siege
League of Legends
mayb some Elder scroll skyrim u know what i mean ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Counter strike global offensive
Rainbow six: siege
League of Legends
mayb some Elder scroll skyrim u know what i mean ;)

Just started up a wood elf archer last night!

Hey SDN,

Do you guys find time for real hobbies...like other than binging on netflix? After talking to a few people, most less academically-inclined residency programs (and maybe even some academic ones) want students who actually have lives outside of medicine. Even more importantly than trying to check that box, it's actually just good for overall well-being.

What are some of the things that you guys are involved in?
I don't even understand this as a question...who doesn't have hobbies? Every one of my classmates except a few who are overly school focused have multiple hobbies. It's what we do when we hang out together. We rock climb, or gym, or kickbox (one of my classmates got certified to teach during her M1), or play frisbee together, or make a med student IM soccer/football team, or whatever. One of them is on a travel volleyball team. We have cooking clubs and massive potlucks and every month a group gets together and teaches anyone who wants to how to knit and crochet. A few of my classmates paint, like, really well. I have classmates who joined our affiliated undergrad's orchestra or choir, tons who dance at least once per week (actual dancing with steps and whatnot), and a few who joined an actual dance team and travel for it.

Med school is just like undergrad, only with less assigned homework and more expectation that you will do self-directed study. Aka you just live your life, do what makes you happy, and also do med school, and you will be just fine and also manage to maintain the illusion that you are a semi-normal human being who has semi-normal interactions with others.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't even understand this as a question...who doesn't have hobbies? Every one of my classmates except a few who are overly school focused have multiple hobbies. It's what we do when we hang out together. We rock climb, or gym, or kickbox (one of my classmates got certified to teach during her M1), or play frisbee together, or make a med student IM soccer/football team, or whatever. One of them is on a travel volleyball team. We have cooking clubs and massive potlucks and every month a group gets together and teaches anyone who wants to how to knit and crochet. A few of my classmates paint, like, really well. I have classmates who joined our affiliated undergrad's orchestra or choir, tons who dance at least once per week (actual dancing with steps and whatnot), and a few who joined an actual dance team and travel for it.

Med school is just like undergrad, only with less assigned homework and more expectation that you will do self-directed study. Aka you just live your life, do what makes you happy, and also do med school, and you will be just fine and also manage to maintain the illusion that you are a semi-normal human being who has semi-normal interactions with others.

I was more so crowdsourcing fun ideas. You'd be surprised how often people don't do those things.

I've noticed since med school started that I've transitioned away from routine hobbies and more so to just doing different things with classmates for fun....watching sports (NFL/NCAA/NHL/NBA), going out to dinner, going out downtown, celebrating birthdays, watching movies, etc. Every now and then we'll plan a fun outing like Six Flags, bowling, ice skating, food/music festivals, going to games, etc. On my own I like to work out, watch sports, talk to family/friends, go bowling if I can.

Work out, running, basketball, soccer, kayaking, skiing, and traveling via car/plane.

Med school isn't that bad as long as you're consistent on your UFAPing routine.

Gym, YouTube and Netflix and probably going to do some more consistent volunteering soon

I like playing sportz, but it's gotten harder since my class all went to different core sights for M3/M4 years. Currently trying to motivate myself to train for obstacle races and triathlons, but haven't gotten into the groove yet.

You'd probably be pretty shocked by the number of people I've met on the interview trail who say they hate the "What do you do in your free time?" question because they don't have a good answer. At one particular interview I think 5 out of the 10 interviewees said they struggled to say something other than "Netflix and chill" and usually tried to talk about a specific genre of show.

I don't think most of them are that boring/one-dimensional. I think a lot of people get caught up with studying and the competitive atmosphere of med school and stop doing a lot of their hobbies, especially if it's something more time consuming or requires a bunch of people.

I like playing sportz, but it's gotten harder since my class all went to different core sights for M3/M4 years. Currently trying to motivate myself to train for obstacle races and triathlons, but haven't gotten into the groove yet.

You'd probably be pretty shocked by the number of people I've met on the interview trail who say they hate the "What do you do in your free time?" question because they don't have a good answer. At one particular interview I think 5 out of the 10 interviewees said they struggled to say something other than "Netflix and chill" and usually tried to talk about a specific genre of show.

I don't think most of them are that boring/one-dimensional. I think a lot of people get caught up with studying and the competitive atmosphere of med school and stop doing a lot of their hobbies, especially if it's something more time consuming or requires a bunch of people.
I do miss the times when I actually could do martial arts, ride horses and play music but it’s only natural that some things give way when med school comes into play.

Lifting, netflix binges, and recently started getting into video games again after a long time w/o touching a game. It's nice to have something to look forward to besides my next sleep. Used to be big into snowboarding, but my school isn't really near any places to go so I'll put that hobby off until residency (hopefully).

A lot of the guys I know at my school play IM sports, which is pretty cool. I considered it for a bit but the games can be at like 11pm some night, which is wayyyy past my bedtime

I am kinda shocked, yeah. I mean, we have our study-holics, but they are far from the most typical here. I'd say for the most part, we tend to hold those kids with a kind of "that's impressive, but it sounds miserable, why? More power to you but no thanks" regard. In my experience, they don't tend to do particularly better all told than those of us with extracurriculars, they just...don't get to do extracurriculars.

Triathlon, hiking, cooking, skiing, chasing after my toddler and little one, and Netflix binges. I also love going to dinner, shows, and various sporting events, but probably won’t do much of that until I’m making real money again. I don’t mind, though- it’s really not hard to stay entertained for little to no money.

I am kinda shocked, yeah. I mean, we have our study-holics, but they are far from the most typical here. I'd say for the most part, we tend to hold those kids with a kind of "that's impressive, but it sounds miserable, why? More power to you but no thanks" regard. In my experience, they don't tend to do particularly better all told than those of us with extracurriculars, they just...don't get to do extracurriculars.

It’s much easier m1 and m2. Many hobbies are lost m3 or r1

From the sounds of a lot of your posts though, you don't go to the 'typical' medical school. Most aren't P/F and even fewer are true P/F, which I think fosters a very different environment than when you're competing against your classmates for rank. Especially if you're shooting for a competitive field.

It’s much easier m1 and m2. Many hobbies are lost m3 or r1
Fair enough, but if you hit the end of med school and can't think of anything that you've been doing for fun as a hobby, that sounds like you've got more going on than being busy during M3.

From the sounds of a lot of your posts though, you don't go to the 'typical' medical school. Most aren't P/F and even fewer are true P/F, which I think fosters a very different environment than when you're competing against your classmates for rank. Especially if you're shooting for a competitive field.
I thought the overall trend was going towards P/F in med school these days?

And I dunno...all I can reference for these is the experience I have. Somehow, whether it's undergrad or postbacc or med school, SDN always manages to conclude that my experience is different from the norm, which is admittedly a bit frustrating because it's not like I'm a particularly special snowflake or have been seeking out atypical schools or anything. I've done what pretty much everyone does - take the best deal I could get at the best place I could get into - at every step, and I haven't been particularly more successful at it than your run-of-the-mill SDNer. So sure, maybe my med school is weird, or maybe I am because I just don't buy into the whole "med school devours all of your time" schtick, but I promise it's 100% genuine surprise at the difference. I'm not trying to be contentious or anything, but in my experience, I've actually had to step up my hobby game because my classmates invite me to so many cool things and get me hooked on fun extracurriculars. We're selected to be an ambitious, interesting bunch, and that carries through in non-academic areas of life, too.

FWIW, our current first years seem more stressed about everything and seem to have no fun at all or do anything interesting except for school, so maybe it's just the culture of my particular class. However, I know for a fact that several of the students in our class have moved to asking interviewees even more about hobbies and downtiime after seeing that, in the hopes of recruiting more chill classes in the future; it's surprisingly unpleasant to interact with an entire class that thinks about nothing but school and continually stresses themselves out, especially when you know that it's unnecessary because everyone made it through in the previous year without that atmosphere.

Fair enough, but if you hit the end of med school and can't think of anything that you've been doing for fun as a hobby, that sounds like you've got more going on than being busy during M3.

Does video games and drinking count?

I hit the gym quite often so I can get nice and joocy. I also bike 45 minutes a day. Plus we go out for music or some activity every week.

Hobbies I don't talk about : Drinking, video games, music production

I thought the overall trend was going towards P/F in med school these days?

And I dunno...all I can reference for these is the experience I have. Somehow, whether it's undergrad or postbacc or med school, SDN always manages to conclude that my experience is different from the norm, which is admittedly a bit frustrating because it's not like I'm a particularly special snowflake or have been seeking out atypical schools or anything. I've done what pretty much everyone does - take the best deal I could get at the best place I could get into - at every step, and I haven't been particularly more successful at it than your run-of-the-mill SDNer. So sure, maybe my med school is weird, or maybe I am because I just don't buy into the whole "med school devours all of your time" schtick, but I promise it's 100% genuine surprise at the difference. I'm not trying to be contentious or anything, but in my experience, I've actually had to step up my hobby game because my classmates invite me to so many cool things and get me hooked on fun extracurriculars. We're selected to be an ambitious, interesting bunch, and that carries through in non-academic areas of life, too.

FWIW, our current first years seem more stressed about everything and seem to have no fun at all or do anything interesting except for school, so maybe it's just the culture of my particular class. However, I know for a fact that several of the students in our class have moved to asking interviewees even more about hobbies and downtiime after seeing that, in the hopes of recruiting more chill classes in the future; it's surprisingly unpleasant to interact with an entire class that thinks about nothing but school and continually stresses themselves out, especially when you know that it's unnecessary because everyone made it through in the previous year without that atmosphere.

I think it depends on the school, class, and individuals. My school was the same way. M1 started out rough but my class as a whole was pretty chill and prioritized having a life outside of school. Then second year hit and the school changed our curriculum and most people I hung out with stopped going out more than once a month or so. The class under us (same curriculum as our first year) were all gunners right from the start. During my third year I ran into one of the admins at my school that's pretty close with the students and she said the entire admin was actually worried about their class burning out as a whole. I always got a sense that the "work hard, play hard" attitude was pretty common amongst schools, but idk.

Even if the trend is moving towards P/F, it's a slow-moving one, and plenty of schools still use internal rankings. As long as that's happening, it's never going to be more balanced overall unless a school makes it a priority.

I personally am mad in love with rugby. It's the only thing that actually made me want to get better in shape. Now I'm in a new city and was planning to start playing rugby but as I was going through MSK, and so many injury questions was rugby. Geniounly scares me as I don't want to risk my medical career. Really don't know what to do :?

I personally am mad in love with rugby. It's the only thing that actually made me want to get better in shape. Now I'm in a new city and was planning to start playing rugby but as I was going through MSK, and so many injury questions was rugby. Geniounly scares me as I don't want to risk my medical career. Really don't know what to do :?
Play rugby. Injuries heal, and there's no point in life if you don't do the things that make it enjoyable to you. I'd rather have a bum knee when I'm older from a sports injury than a bum ticker cuz I never exercised. Of course, with my family history, I'll probably end up with both anyways, but that's neither here nor there!

Play rugby. Injuries heal, and there's no point in life if you don't do the things that make it enjoyable to you. I'd rather have a bum knee when I'm older from a sports injury than a bum ticker cuz I never exercised. Of course, with my family history, I'll probably end up with both anyways, but that's neither here nor there!

Oh, that's not what exactly I'm worried about, it's more about all the nerve injuries due to fractures and brachial plexus injuries. I'm still new to medicine so this may be a rare thing but it's something that made be wary. Thanks your for encouraging words btw :)

Oh, that's not what exactly I'm worried about, it's more about all the nerve injuries due to fractures and brachial plexus injuries. I'm still new to medicine so this may be a rare thing but it's something that made be wary. Thanks your for encouraging words btw :)

If it makes you feel any better, nerve injuries from fractures (other than neurapraxias which are temporary) and brachial plexus injuries are extremely rare. It's cold comfort to those few unlucky people who sustain these injuries, but the odds are in your favor. Don't discount fractures themselves however; they may heal but can put you out of commission for some time, and your limb may never be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If it makes you feel any better, nerve injuries from fractures (other than neurapraxias which are temporary) and brachial plexus injuries are extremely rare. It's cold comfort to those few unlucky people who sustain these injuries, but the odds are in your favor. Don't discount fractures themselves however; they may heal but can put you out of commission for some time, and your limb may never be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took up ice hockey my first year as an attending, and admittedly I was kind of nervous to start up given the number of freak injuries you can pick up playing the sport. We had a guy in my league sustain an open tib/fib fracture last spring in kind of a freak accident, but really such a thing could happen in any sport when I think about it. My dad was a surgeon and managed to sprain BOTH of his thumbs while snowboarding when I was in junior high, which took him out of work for a few weeks. Sometimes stuff just happens. Also, helps to have disability insurance regardless of who you are or what you do.

If you can play rugby, do it. Having an intense sport to play clears the mind like nothing else. When I'm on the ice, I seriously think about nothing else except the play going on.

Well, I've grown up in it and I live where racing is a common thing. All of the nascar teams are here and all of the drivers are here.. and I used to be a driving instructor at the petty driving school, so having connections helps. It's pretty expensive if it's on your own dime, but if you're decent enough and have friends and teams that know you, they'll let you use their equipment for either free advertising and signing a crash waiver to where you're responsible for any damages, or let you rent. I've never had to use my own hauler or anything; being 27 I have other priorities than being in a touring series (obviously) but it can get expensive very quickly if you don't know what you're doing or know anyone that would let you drive for them. I spend a decent amount of weekends at the local F1 inspired karting track that's owned by GoPro and racing with some nascar buddies on their race karts. It's pretty fun, but asphalt ovals are my forte. To give a breakdown of my own personal equipment:

Helmet- Stilo Carbon $1500
Firesuit- Impact $750
Gloves and Shoes both alpine star- $600
Koolbox clean O2 helmet hookup- $3000 (worth it in a 120 degree race car to keep your head 30 degrees cooler and have clean air in your helmet with all the CO)
Custom Lajoie body-molded seat- didn't pay for, I got it as a gift when Petty saw me go in my first big series race but probably around $1000

All of that is necessity. You can't get into a stock car or any sanctioned race without these items and unless you're a pro that uses a suit for a season and gets a new one because you're team pays for it and you're rich, you can usually use most of these items for a lot of your career unless they become damaged. Those are actually decent prices for the amount of safety you have. Cars, it depends on what series you're in. Legends can run anywhere from 5k-20k, late models 10-50k+, USAC not sure never raced them, but it gets up there. Thankfully, I have a pretty good resume in the racing department and my family has been in the business since NASCAR's inception, so it helps. Who you know is a very big thing in racing. Sucks but it's true. There's actually a doctor that is a pro racer - patrick staropoli. We met at a driver challenge that Michael Waltrip had put on for some drivers and he won and his career took off. He would race professionally while going to medical school. Undergrad at Harvard, medical school at U of Miami. He just graduated, I believe and is in residency. Most likely not racing right now with that on his plate haha.
url

Last edited:
In med school I used to just play video games and gym. Now I added snowboarding, guns, and mountain biking to that list. Snowboarding is my favorite though. If you don’t make time for stuff it will never happen. Just keep that in mind or you’ll end up working yourself to death.

I took up ice hockey my first year as an attending, and admittedly I was kind of nervous to start up given the number of freak injuries you can pick up playing the sport. We had a guy in my league sustain an open tib/fib fracture last spring in kind of a freak accident, but really such a thing could happen in any sport when I think about it. My dad was a surgeon and managed to sprain BOTH of his thumbs while snowboarding when I was in junior high, which took him out of work for a few weeks. Sometimes stuff just happens. Also, helps to have disability insurance regardless of who you are or what you do.

If you can play rugby, do it. Having an intense sport to play clears the mind like nothing else. When I'm on the ice, I seriously think about nothing else except the play going on.

I've loved watching hockey for years but I've never played it. I actually think I might want to start playing it now since some of my classmates and other people in my med school play together on a team. What was your experience with getting started with it? I would be a total beginner; I have maybe gone ice skating 2-3 times in my life and have no equipment at all.

I've loved watching hockey for years but I've never played it. I actually think I might want to start playing it now since some of my classmates and other people in my med school play together on a team. What was your experience with getting started with it? I would be a total beginner; I have maybe gone ice skating 2-3 times in my life and have no equipment at all.

I live in Chicago which has a pretty big beginner hockey scene. I originally bought a pair of skates figuring I could just skate some laps at the ice ribbon downtown to stay in shape over the winter then got curious. I eventually pieced together all the equipment and got into a "learn to play" class, which was surprisingly difficult to get a spot in, and around the same time joined a team that was looking for players on the internet, and we've more or less held the same core of players together in a couple different leagues over the last couple years (though I'm being a traitor and playing for a rival team during this upcoming Chicago Outdoor Hockey League season).

r/Hockeyplayers over on reddit was a good resource when starting out.

I will say it's not the cheapest hobby.

did krav maga throughout med school. now i am an instructor. That and just a **** ton of reading (novels) and working out.

also ultimate frisbee once a week.

I really enjoy watching movies and writing reviews to accompany them. I also play and watch a lot of sports. I also enjoy alcohol.

Edit: Thought I would also add my 0.02 about this topic. I think having an outside life is more important than studying your arse off. Burnout is a real thing. I'm only an M1, but I can see fellow classmates already starting to hate themselves. Some started really happy, but over time could never find a balance between school and outside life. These people look like the life has been sucked out of them sometimes. They're not super bubbly and happy anymore. I feel for the people who don't have balance. Maybe they thrive this way, though, who I am to judge. But, if they're anything like me, I would feel pretty dead inside without a solid outside life.

Solid necrobump but I’ll allow it.

I was a pro musician for 3 years in ny before med school. I still keep up with music and play almost daily. Just recorded a song and am thinking of getting a med student band together (I’m also in the a cappella group at school).

• Wow
Solid necrobump but I’ll allow it.

I was a pro musician for 3 years in ny before med school. I still keep up with music and play almost daily. Just recorded a song and am thinking of getting a med student band together (I’m also in the a cappella group at school).
The bumper had a spam link embedded in one of the words... soooo, I won't allow that SPECIFIC post :p

Far be it from me to snuff out discussion of THAT super impressive hobby though!

The bumper had a spam link embedded in one of the words... soooo, I won't allow that SPECIFIC post :p

Far be it from me to snuff out discussion of THAT super impressive hobby though!

I am on my phone and didn’t see that haha!

Yeah, I love playing. I want to play live again. I miss it.

I am on my phone and didn’t see that haha!

Yeah, I love playing. I want to play live again. I miss it.
I wish I would have taken up singing as a kid--my brother got really good with training, and I have some talent but I never really did anything with it. I worked hard on the violin, but never had the talent there to be great. What do you play?

In med school, my hobby was basically watching Spurs games and drinking beer. It wasn't super impressive to talk about on the interview trail.

I wish I would have taken up singing as a kid--my brother got really good with training, and I have some talent but I never really did anything with it. I worked hard on the violin, but never had the talent there to be great. What do you play?

In med school, my hobby was basically watching Spurs games and drinking beer. It wasn't super impressive to talk about on the interview trail.

I play the guitar, bass, drums, piano, mandolin, balalaika, didgeridoo, and some other rando percussion instruments. I also sing.

• Wow