Hofstra post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingjameslbj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any info on this program? everything i find is old

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm currently in the "program" and for most people, they're using it to take/retake their prereqs, without any regard to the certificate. It doesn't have a linkage anywhere and it has a high price tag for offering not that much. I'm from the area, which is why I'm doing it.

If you're good at studying, you'll get your A's and schools may look at you doing postbacc at a private school slightly more favorably than if you did it at a big public one. The students here are low-performing, which can make for a nice curve. Hofstra has no street cred, so if you came from a strong undergrad you should get your committee letter from your undergrad.

So I'm currently in the "program" and for most people, they're using it to take/retake their prereqs, without any regard to the certificate. It doesn't have a linkage anywhere and it has a high price tag for offering not that much. I'm from the area, which is why I'm doing it.

If you're good at studying, you'll get your A's and schools may look at you doing postbacc at a private school slightly more favorably than if you did it at a big public one. The students here are low-performing, which can make for a nice curve. Hofstra has no street cred, so if you came from a strong undergrad you should get your committee letter from your undergrad.

How are they with financial aid? are you considered a degree seeking student? One lady told me you could get government loans as a graduate student.. Yea im a career changer so i have no prereqs. I went to a big florida public university so i wouldnt count on them for anything lol. Do they basically accept anyone or is it pretty hard to get in?

I paid it out of pocket, but you can get loans (PLUS). There aren't a lot of us and at one of the meetings there were a lot of people who didn't have their crap together at all, so they probably take anybody.

One benefit is that you get senior-priority registration and Hofstra student discount for Kaplan MCAT classes (allegedly).

If you're willing to come to New York, look at NYU as well.

yea Nyu is #1 choice but i dont think its easy to get into so im looking at backups. Thanks

Hey how long did it take you to hear back from Hofstra? and was it by email or mail?

I got a call and an e-mail relatively quickly (I'd say a week or two). I applied in like July lol it's really not a competitive program to get into- call frequently if you're nervous about materials getting lost.

I got a call and an e-mail relatively quickly (I'd say a week or two). I applied in like July lol it's really not a competitive program to get into- call frequently if you're nervous about materials getting lost.
lol thanks for the info. What were your stats? How long is it taking you to finish? Did you have any sciences already?