Holy Okie, Am I crazy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psittacidae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon me if this turns into a ramble, but I'm hoping for some advice from people who can relate first hand to the madness that pre-vet school planning can be. Also, my non-vetmed friends are sick and tired of me, and I think if I say the words "out of state tuition" "GRE score" or "Animal Nutrition Course" one more time, they very well may divorce me :laugh:
So, my boyfriend and I haved planned on moving out of NJ for years, but we always seem to let life get in the way and put it off. In an effort to light a fire under our butts, a year ago we set September 2013 as our "get out of New Jersey" date. (No offence to NJ, but its just not the right fit for us) We began building our escape nest egg, researching, and traveling to find our optimal new home. We are young (20s), with no children, and no attachments. We are ready and willing to take a chance. After discussing Arizona, California, Colorado, South Carolina and Florida- Florida won. My best friend moved there last year, and loves it.
For the last six months, I've thought Florida was a great idea. I found a college in south Florida to finish my undergrad, and looked at being a Florida resident as a huge plus for a UF application. As a NJ resident, I'm OOS everywhere! :mad:
Then, a lightbulb went off in my head. We can move anywhere. We are most certainly moving in September (of 2013) and the United States is our oyster. While I may prefer to live in Florida to be closer to my best friend, wouldn't it make more sense to establish residency in a state that has lower IS tuition? UF is about $120,000 for IS. :(
And so the research begins again. After narrowing down choices ( based on cost alone ) to NC, AL, GA and OK, OK just KEEPS coming up! Not only is the IS tuition close to HALF what UF is ( 65-70k), Edmund ( suburb of OK city ) has been repeatedly rated as one of the top suburbs to live in in America. OK's unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the nation. I've spoken to numerous people who have relocated there ( all via the internet mind you ), and have yet to hear a complaint strong enough to disway me.
So, here are my questions....
1.) Is it crazy to relocate to a state based mainly on their IS tuition price? After all, if I am rejected by Oklahoma State, I'm stuck with OOS tuition again. ( I won't be applying for vet school for another 2 years btw, so I will be a resident of whatever state I choose to move to by application time ). Florida is great, but to spend $60,000 more ( plus interest!!) to live in Florida for the next 4-6 years seems INSANE.
2.) Has anyone done exactly this? Move to a state with a veterinary school in order to establish residency and save money? How did it go?
3.) I would LOVE to hear from some Okie's about your state! What should I know? What's the bad news? What's the good news? What's the job market like? Housing? I've done some of my own research but one can only trust Google so much. :D Any advice is greatly appreciated.
4.) How difficult is it to get into Oklahoma State Veterinary School? I realize this is a difficult question, made more difficult by the fact that ALL vet schools are difficult to get into, but some have a reputation for being more difficult than others...

Thank you SO much for any replies. I want to get as much info as possible before I give my BF the Oklahoma pitch!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a born and raised Oklahoman. I have never lived anywhere else. However, right now it is almost midnight and I have a radiology final to study for. Just wanted to let you know that I plan on replying properly tomorrow when I have time but wanted to say this: I'm pretty sure Ok-State has contract spots with NJ. I could be wrong but it might be worth looking into.

Hello! Did you try asking in the OK State Class of 2016? Or 2015? They might be able to help

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your quick reply! Unforunately NJ eliminated ALL contract spots in 2010. Damn budget cuts. I look forward to your thoughts tomorrow. Happy studying!

I'm on the same boat as you and am thinking about moving to Oregon state. I heard that they have the cheapest IS tuition.

I am as well from NJ and I DID move to Florida in January. I'm still up in NJ currently. I stayed up here living on campus just so I can graduate in two weeks =) I haven't applied to vet schools yet, I decided to wait until I'm done with my undergrad before applying (the idea of going on interviews while juggling exams makes me want to vomit!). Plus, this way I don't have to try to explain myself applying as a NJ resident one year, and FL resident as another.

To be honest, I really didnt think to go anywhere else but FL. I have family there and have been traveling back and forth from Florida my entire life. To me, it's just a 2 hour plane ride away!

The only thing that I'm nervous about is "proving" my residency. I have a FL license, voter registration, and a passport. But I'm afraid because I dont know if I'll be getting a job down there. You see, one of the reasons I went is to help my uncle who is having a tough time after the death of my aunt. I spend most of my time down there (when I get to go) helping him clean his house, exercise, talk to someone, basically just keep him occupied while he goes through this tough time. So idk how much job hunting I'll be able to do.

Either way, I am someone who did move to a different state and hopefully will receive IS tuition and consideration :) in a year. So, it is possible!! And hey, look on the bright side.. Any IS tuition is cheaper than OOS in NJ!!

I did not personally do this, but I highly advocate it.

Sure, you have to pay for the move, but if you're like many of us, crappy furniture can be sold at a garage sale, and only take the clothes with you that matter. It's a good time for 'spring cleaning!'

Do remember you'll be paying for your undergrad as OOS. I'm not sure how much more undergrad institutions are for OOS, but just keep that in mind when you figure up the total cost (not that I think your 2 remaining years in undergrad is going to be more expensive than the estimated $60k loan difference).

The less money borrowed, the better!

I'm not sure where it ranks on your list, but LSU's IS tuition is right at $20k a year.(...shameless plug for LSU):p

My suggestions is figure out exactly where you want to go to vet school first. I envy everyone that can really select their vet school vs. being stuff with their IS. (Nothing wrong with that, but I wish I had more options.) Being financially responsible is NEVER crazy, but just don't forget to focus on other things while you weigh the numbers. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I *think* NCSU may win that award at around $12k/yr. ISers here sit at about $16k/yr.

Yup, I saw that too. NC is definitely the cheapest as far as tuition goes, but I'm worried about the economic status of the state. I have a half dozen of so friends ( yes, I am the last of my friends still stuck in Jersey lol ) that have moved to NC. And while all of them are happy with their decision, most of them struggle to find work on a regular basis. In our current economic climate, jobs are scarce everywhere, but I wouldn't want to put myself in a situation where I make it even more difficult thannecessary. My BF and I will have enough saved for the move and about a year's worth of expenses for both of us, but after a year- we'll have to find work. Both of us are hustlers, I have three jobs and he has two- we're willing to do anything to get by, and we do fairly well. I'm certain we can "survive" anywhere, but solely based on what I've heard from my friends that currently reside in NC, NC's unemplyoment rate intimidates me. Does anyone have another opinion or advice to any particular area of NC that is better than another? I'm very open to suggestions! Like I said, we're leaving NJ in September 2013 no matter what, and all 48 continental states are an option. We're open minded. :)

Also, is it true that NC is one of the more difficult veterinary schools to get in to, even for residents? Or am I incorrect?

I am as well from NJ and I DID move to Florida in January. I'm still up in NJ currently. I stayed up here living on campus just so I can graduate in two weeks =) I haven't applied to vet schools yet, I decided to wait until I'm done with my undergrad before applying (the idea of going on interviews while juggling exams makes me want to vomit!). Plus, this way I don't have to try to explain myself applying as a NJ resident one year, and FL resident as another.

To be honest, I really didnt think to go anywhere else but FL. I have family there and have been traveling back and forth from Florida my entire life. To me, it's just a 2 hour plane ride away!

The only thing that I'm nervous about is "proving" my residency. I have a FL license, voter registration, and a passport. But I'm afraid because I dont know if I'll be getting a job down there. You see, one of the reasons I went is to help my uncle who is having a tough time after the death of my aunt. I spend most of my time down there (when I get to go) helping him clean his house, exercise, talk to someone, basically just keep him occupied while he goes through this tough time. So idk how much job hunting I'll be able to do.

Either way, I am someone who did move to a different state and hopefully will receive IS tuition and consideration :) in a year. So, it is possible!! And hey, look on the bright side.. Any IS tuition is cheaper than OOS in NJ!!

Lol, there is def a bright side to any state with an IS school for us! Lol. I did a lot of research on proving residency in FL, and the one thing I kept coming back to was a declaration of domicile. I'm not sure if this document is unique to Florida for proving residency, but it holds a lot of weight there. Based on the information you shared, you should have no problem getting one, even without a job in the state. I'm not sure what county you reside in, but if you talk to someone or go to the website of the county clerk, there should be some information on how to get a declaration of domicile. Here is the website I used:
http://www.mypalmbeachclerk.com/faq/domicile.aspx
HTH!! Good luck!!

I did not personally do this, but I highly advocate it.

Sure, you have to pay for the move, but if you're like many of us, crappy furniture can be sold at a garage sale, and only take the clothes with you that matter. It's a good time for 'spring cleaning!'

Do remember you'll be paying for your undergrad as OOS. I'm not sure how much more undergrad institutions are for OOS, but just keep that in mind when you figure up the total cost (not that I think your 2 remaining years in undergrad is going to be more expensive than the estimated $60k loan difference).

The less money borrowed, the better!

I'm not sure where it ranks on your list, but LSU's IS tuition is right at $20k a year.(...shameless plug for LSU):p

Thanks abbercadaver ( love the name bw )! I did do the math for attending undergrad as an OOS, and its still oodles cheaper. I'm even considering taking a year off from my undergrad, to establish residency, and then finishing in order to save even MORE $$. LSU is def not out of the equation! It's still a cheaper school than UF by far! Can you give me any information about Louisiana or LSU? An LA sales pitch of sorts? :laugh:

I just wanted to point out that Edmond is a suburb of Oklahoma City, yet OSU is in Stillwater. It's not really a commutable distance...

I didn't know if Edmond was just one example you found, or if you had your heart set on living there....

My suggestions is figure out exactly where you want to go to vet school first. I envy everyone that can really select their vet school vs. being stuff with their IS. (Nothing wrong with that, but I wish I had more options.) Being financially responsible is ber crazy, but just don't forget to focus on other things while you weigh the numbers. :)

Thank you Philliab, and tho you may think me naive, the numbers are what is most important to me. At the end of the day, vet school is four years. I will be a veterinarian for 30+ years. So to me, where I go to school isn't really that important. I'll settle. If its a state I hate, or a school I don't particularly care for, its irrelevant because my end goal is what matters most. As long as its accredited I'm a happy camper. If I can achieve my goal of becoming a veterinarian with $70,000 in loans or less- I'll be able to pay it off in ten years. ( Yes, I've done the math, and yes, I'm a crazy future financial planner :laugh: ) As a non-trad, being debt free is uber important to me. I've got less time to pay it all back before retirement. I'm super jealous of the young traditional students but,I won't hold it against you guys :D

I just wanted to point out that Edmond is a suburb of Oklahoma City, yet OSU is in Stillwater. It's not really a commutable distance...

I didn't know if Edmond was just one example you found, or if you had your heart set on living there....

Yea, the commute is over an hour:( But, it was just an example of positive OK info I've found. Def not set on any area specifically.

Also, I would like to point out that I'm not TOTALLY crazy, my boyfriend and I have the next year and 3 months to travel to these destinations and see everything for ourselves before we move. I wouldn't move somewhere without visiting and experiencing it firsthand....just in case you guys were wondering :D

Also, is it true that NC is one of the more difficult veterinary schools to get in to, even for residents? Or am I incorrect?

NC State is very competitive, BUT, they have one of the largest # of seats reserved for IS applicants - 80! This year 191 people applied for those 80 seats (if that gives you a comparison). Those are pretty good odds if you ask me.

I honestly never thought I would get in. As an applicant, I was very limited on my veterinary experience and had a lower GPA in all categories than the average IS. I was heavy on the research and volunteer animal experience. But low and behold I got in! So I wouldn't rule out a school because it's competitive. It's going to be competitive at a lot of schools, but you can find a way to make yourself stand out :)

As for the job market, yes, it is hard to find a job, but that depends on what you are looking for in a career. We have a booming research industry (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) and there are a lot of opportunities in all three of those cities. I think from what you've said, you both are go-getters and that makes all the difference in finding something. I think it really depends on what you two are looking to do for work in a new city.

Also, I would like to point out that I'm not TOTALLY crazy, my boyfriend and I have the next year and 3 months to travel to these destinations and see everything for ourselves before we move. I wouldn't move somewhere without visiting and experiencing it firsthand....just in case you guys were wondering :D

You're not crazy :) Tons of people move to places to gain IS residency. It makes a huge difference when applying to schools (and the amount of money you pay in the end!)

Move to Sacramento California. Housing is very affordable and finding a job isn't too hard. Davis is about 30minutes away.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SDN Mobile

Thank you Philliab, and tho you may think me naive, the numbers are what is most important to me. At the end of the day, vet school is four years. I will be a veterinarian for 30+ years. So to me, where I go to school isn't really that important. I'll settle. If its a state I hate, or a school I don't particularly care for, its irrelevant because my end goal is what matters most. As long as its accredited I'm a happy camper. If I can achieve my goal of becoming a veterinarian with $70,000 in loans or less- I'll be able to pay it off in ten years. ( Yes, I've done the math, and yes, I'm a crazy future financial planner :laugh: ) As a non-trad, being debt free is uber important to me. I've got less time to pay it all back before retirement. I'm super jealous of the young traditional students but,I won't hold it against you guys :D

Just so you know..my original post was supposed to say "being financial responsible is NEVER crazy...":laugh: I'm a non-trad too (no spring chicken at all), and the fear of such a large debt delayed me from taking the path to vet med for years. So I understand completely and never thought you naive. I was just saying...when the numbers are close make sure to allow yourself the option to choose the school that you really love.

Thanks abbercadaver ( love the name bw )! I did do the math for attending undergrad as an OOS, and its still oodles cheaper. I'm even considering taking a year off from my undergrad, to establish residency, and then finishing in order to save even MORE $$. LSU is def not out of the equation! It's still a cheaper school than UF by far! Can you give me any information about Louisiana or LSU? An LA sales pitch of sorts? :laugh:

Definitely. PM me with any specific questions you have. :)

Buuuut, living near New Orleans is awesome. Baton Rouge (where LSU SVM is) is also fantastic. There is always crazy-good food available somewhere. If Mardi Gras sounds appealing, it's only an hour away! Bourbon Street madness for the taking. ;) Tons of culture, especially French (obviously!).

Plus you just can't beat Southern Hospitality. :D

Move to Sacramento California. Housing is very affordable and finding a job isn't too hard. Davis is about 30minutes away.

But she's looking for lowest cost of school attendance. Somehow i think $132,000 is a little above what she was thinking.

And 'affordable' housing is relative. I pay a mortgage for less than what a lot of studios cost in some of these places.

So, OP, have you looked into the process for gaining residency in OK?

NC State is very competitive, BUT, they have one of the largest # of seats reserved for IS applicants - 80! This year 191 people applied for those 80 seats (if that gives you a comparison). Those are pretty good odds if you ask me.

I honestly never thought I would get in. As an applicant, I was very limited on my veterinary experience and had a lower GPA in all categories than the average IS. I was heavy on the research and volunteer animal experience. But low and behold I got in! So I wouldn't rule out a school because it's competitive. It's going to be competitive at a lot of schools, but you can find a way to make yourself stand out :)

As for the job market, yes, it is hard to find a job, but that depends on what you are looking for in a career. We have a booming research industry (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) and there are a lot of opportunities in all three of those cities. I think from what you've said, you both are go-getters and that makes all the difference in finding something. I think it really depends on what you two are looking to do for work in a new city.

Thanks Katie8! NC would be an easier pitch for the BF, he's a lil scared of the midsouth. Two of my closest Jersey-NC transplant friends have offered numerous times to rent us a room should we choose to move there, which would make establishing residency a breeze. In theory, I could get a NC drivers license next week if I wanted one- the ease of it all would be fantastic. Its good to hear from someone that the job market isn't ALL bad news, and in reality my broke NC friends were broke when they lived in Jersey too. Some people just don't have a lot of motivation :)

That being said, I did some additional math in regards to acceptance rates, and with 191 IS applicants and 80 IS acceptances NC is at a 42% acceptance rate for IS. They do plan to increase their resident acceptances to 100 next year, so assuming that the number of IS applicants is the same ( 191 ), a 100 student acceptance would put their acceptance rate of IS students at 52%. Not bad!

OK has some numbers that confuse me. They have 113 IS applicants listed on their website, with 89 eligible applicants. What does eligible mean? I can't imagine 24 people applied knowing full well they did not meet the requirements? But, thats the only way I can interpret it? Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me. But anyway, with 89 eligible IS applicants and 58 accepted OSU is at a 65% IS acceptance rate. I like those numbers! :D If you consider all 119 applicants, they are at 51%, but I'm not sure that number is even relevant considering those 24 were ineligible.

Then again, statistics are only numbers and at the end of the day, they only prove so much. The fact that we already have a place to move to and its only an 8 hour move rather than 24 hours may be enough to sway me. Thank you again Katie! I'm going to do some more NC research- I was barely even considering it before because I had heard how hard it was to get in, but now that I've done the math- its not nearly as intimidating!!!

This-
But she's looking for lowest cost of school attendance. Somehow i think $132,000 is a little above what she was thinking.
Couldn't have said it better :)

Just so you know..my original post was supposed to say "being financial responsible is NEVER crazy...":laugh: I'm a non-trad too (no spring chicken at all), and the fear of such a large debt delayed me from taking the path to vet med for years. So I understand completely and never thought you naive. I was just saying...when the numbers are close make sure to allow yourself the option to choose the school that you really love.

Haha! Now that I see the typo, your post makes so much more sense! Sorry for reading too far into it. And you are absolutely right. Now that I'm doing more research, I'm debating if OSU has an avian/exotics program like NCS does ( thats my area of interest ). That is a factor that is important to me regardless of the cost involved. Thanks again for your input.

P.S.- Go team non-trad! :D

Definitely. PM me with any specific questions you have. :)

Buuuut, living near New Orleans is awesome. Baton Rouge (where LSU SVM is) is also fantastic. There is always crazy-good food available somewhere. If Mardi Gras sounds appealing, it's only an hour away! Bourbon Street madness for the taking. ;) Tons of culture, especially French (obviously!).

Plus you just can't beat Southern Hospitality. :D

Mmmmmmm, you found my weak spots- food and alcohol!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Def have to check out LA too while I'm at it. BF would think he died and went to heaven if I told him we were moving to the New Orleans area ( but lets be real, its all about me :D )

And 'affordable' housing is relative. I pay a mortgage for less than what a lot of studios cost in some of these places.

So, OP, have you looked into the process for gaining residency in OK?

I think its gonna be about year process regardless of where I go. I could either move, continue my undergrad with OOS tuition, and apply to vet school IS OR move, wait a year, continue my undergrad with IS tuition, and apply to vet school IS.

I've read that if someone moves and immediately begins attending school for undergrad in that state they MAY not qualify for residency even a year later because they " moved solely to attend university and are not truly a resident. " Has anyone heard of anything such as this?

Also, I'm not sold on any state in particular ( although for some reason I still lean OSU ) so any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if OSU, NCS, LSU, or Georgia ( yet another option ) have more inclination to accept students WITHOUT a bachelors? I'm a non trad, without a degree, working on pre reqs. I know OSU has accepted some, any others?

I'll be swaying you towards NC :) I love it here! I'm not traditional and lived here for a year before I applied. LOVE the area; you're close to the beach, you're close to the mountains and the triangle always has fun things to do and AMAZING food. And close to an close to a major airport which I like :) sooo come to NC :)

I'll be swaying you towards NC :) I love it here! I'm not traditional and lived here for a year before I applied. LOVE the area; you're close to the beach, you're close to the mountains and the triangle always has fun things to do and AMAZING food. And close to an close to a major airport which I like :) sooo come to NC :)

Katie, we'll def be in touch. In all reality, it seems like a smart choice. I love that NCS has an avian speciality program, and its the cheapest! Any idea if anyone in your class was accepted WITHOUT a degree? Cant hurt to ask :D

LSU definitely accepts without a bachelors. Most end up with one, but it's certainly not a requirement.

Thanks Katie8! NC would be an easier pitch for the BF, he's a lil scared of the midsouth. Two of my closest Jersey-NC transplant friends have offered numerous times to rent us a room should we choose to move there, which would make establishing residency a breeze. In theory, I could get a NC drivers license next week if I wanted one- the ease of it all would be fantastic. Its good to hear from someone that the job market isn't ALL bad news, and in reality my broke NC friends were broke when they lived in Jersey too. Some people just don't have a lot of motivation :)

That being said, I did some additional math in regards to acceptance rates, and with 191 IS applicants and 80 IS acceptances NC is at a 42% acceptance rate for IS. They do plan to increase their resident acceptances to 100 next year, so assuming that the number of IS applicants is the same ( 191 ), a 100 student acceptance would put their acceptance rate of IS students at 52%. Not bad!

OK has some numbers that confuse me. They have 113 IS applicants listed on their website, with 89 eligible applicants. What does eligible mean? I can't imagine 24 people applied knowing full well they did not meet the requirements? But, thats the only way I can interpret it? Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me. But anyway, with 89 eligible IS applicants and 58 accepted OSU is at a 65% IS acceptance rate. I like those numbers! :D If you consider all 119 applicants, they are at 51%, but I'm not sure that number is even relevant considering those 24 were ineligible.

Then again, statistics are only numbers and at the end of the day, they only prove so much. The fact that we already have a place to move to and its only an 8 hour move rather than 24 hours may be enough to sway me. Thank you again Katie! I'm going to do some more NC research- I was barely even considering it before because I had heard how hard it was to get in, but now that I've done the math- its not nearly as intimidating!!!

This-

Couldn't have said it better :)

I'm biased, but I also suggest NC! However, just do know that the class size actually increased this year from 80 -> 100, which 80 spots being for in state. I don't believe it is going up any more from that. Also do look at the historic application numbers, not just last year; it's usually roughly 200 or so, which are still quite reasonable for 80 in-state spots. It's the OOS spots that are super super ridiconkulously competitive.

NC definitely accepts some people without their bachelor's. I'm actually not going to end up with mine because of some summer classes not being offered this year. :/ Also - she's not around any more, but the SDN user "IvyLynx" applied and was accepted her junior year of undergrad - you could probably toss her a PM.

A last thing to consider is that NC State is kind of notorious for really liking diverse experiences; if you've just done small animal practice, or just wildlife, or whatever, if you're trying to be competitive you really need to branch out and try a lot of things.

I'm not sure on job market since I haven't really dealt with that, but my boyfriend (as a software engineer) was pretty successful at getting his position in the triangle area. I think it highly depends on what you do and your qualifications.

I'm biased, but I also suggest NC! However, just do know that the class size actually increased this year from 80 -> 100, which 80 spots being for in state. I don't believe it is going up any more from that. Also do look at the historic application numbers, not just last year; it's usually roughly 200 or so, which are still quite reasonable for 80 in-state spots. It's the OOS spots that are super super ridiconkulously competitive.

NC definitely accepts some people without their bachelor's. I'm actually not going to end up with mine because of some summer classes not being offered this year. :/ Also - she's not around any more, but the SDN user "IvyLynx" applied and was accepted her junior year of undergrad - you could probably toss her a PM.

A last thing to consider is that NC State is kind of notorious for really liking diverse experiences; if you've just done small animal practice, or just wildlife, or whatever, if you're trying to be competitive you really need to branch out and try a lot of things.

I'm not sure on job market since I haven't really dealt with that, but my boyfriend (as a software engineer) was pretty successful at getting his position in the triangle area. I think it highly depends on what you do and your qualifications.

Great advice, Thanks Trilt! Your point about diverse experiences is a huge plus for me! I have been a pet store employee, pet store manager, in clinic veterinary assistant, in hospital veterinary technician, in clinic veterinary pharmacy technician ( yes, its a slim field but we do exsist! lol ), volunteer wildlife rehabilitator, bird breeder, reptile breeder, small mammal breeder, house call veterinary assistant, as well as owning and operating my own avian and small animal grooming and behavioral training company for 3 years and running an avian/reptilian/exotic animal shelter out of my home for 3 years. I couldn't even begin to cummulate all my animal experience hours. It's gonna be a project- lemme tell ya!!! I've been out of the animal industry for 7 years ( left completely due to financial reasons ) and have missed it every single day. The fact that varied experience like mine could be a positive at NCS is AWESOME!

Since I left the animal industry, I've mainly been in sales. Currently I work in a local coin shop as a numismatist ( coin dealer ), drive a cab, and DJ on the side. I assume my first spot to look for work would be retail, veterinary assistant ( after 7 years out I'd feel uncomfortable going back as a tech ), or as a server in a restaurant. I'm pretty resourceful. If there's work- I find it! But, I've heard such doom and gloom from everyone about NC's economy- it scared me! It's refreshing to hear positive news. :thumbup:

So, I can't tell you anything about IS tuition at OkState, the housing market, job market or anything like that.
But I'd be happy to answer any specific lifestyle questions you have! IF you look on the "class of XXXX" for the past few years, there have been plenty of posts from Okies, including myself, to give you a general idea.

It's been a bit of a "culture" adjustment for me, but nothing too terrible. You can't buy alcohol on Sundays, which makes me sad. Most beer is <3% alcohol. Which also makes me sad. You can now special order a ton of awesome beers though - I "import" beer from a NH brewery :) (Sorry, last day of finals, I've got alcohol on the brain!)

The drive from Stillwater to the OKC area is a pretty easy one. I make it down there every few weeks to run errands, grocery shop, go to the bank, go to Dunkin Donuts, etc. There are people who commute from 40+ minutes away (Ahem, Lissarae), but personally, it's not something I can do. But for 4th year, you need to be able to get to the teaching hospital within 15-20 minutes when you are on call.

As for the town of Stillwater- it's improving, but still leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the banks are local/OK chains, not national branches. 2 small grocery stores + Walmart. There is a natural/organic grocery that's very small and quite expensive, but good for quick trips. The farmers market is awesome when there's stuff in season. I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods in OKC. Very few decent restaurants. Only 2-3 places I will eat at on a regular basis, and they are nothing fancy. There is now an Olive Garden though, which makes me happy. There are 2 starbucks and 3 Aspen coffees- no dunkin donuts, which makes me sad.

Cost of living compared to the NY area is EXTREMELY cheap. I'm sure you will be pleased on that aspect of things. I live super close to the vet school, and have a 2 bedroom house to myself. Pay way less for it than I did for a studio back home.

If you are hoping to work as a student, it's definitely doable. I work in the teaching hospital, usually 2 weekends a month just to get some extra spending money. Plus I've had a training horse for the past 7 months, so I've had to be at the barn for ~4 hours a week. I think the key is having a flexible job, where you can pick and choose your days, or bring school work with you. The teaching hospital usually has jobs available, and the student rep positions also pay a small stipend. I'm glad I didnt work first semester, but it was nice once I got into the swing of things.

LissaRae and Twelvetigers are both homeowners with hubbies, so they might be able to comment on the housing + job market aspect of things once they get done celebrating being done with the semester ;)

Any more specific questions? I'm happy to answer either here or via PM