Home Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMACK22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience within the home health setting? I'm interested in pursuing home health immediately after I graduate, however I have heard that may not be the best decision. If you've had some experience what do you feel are the benefits of this setting as well as the challenges?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do "normal" home health, but I did do early intervention which for the most part, is another form of home health as my very last clinical before graduating. I ended up deciding not to go into it because I got a different job offer and my car is getting old/can't handle traveling 50+ miles per day, versus 8 miles to the clinic and back. However, I was extremely impressed with the company I interviewed with and they offered A LOT in the form of orientation and whatnot for new employees and I felt completely comfortable going into EI because of that... it just so happened the clinic was something I wanted more to start my career with... So, yes it's hard because you are on your own, but if it's something you are really interested in, then you should interview at companies and see what types of programs and mentoring they have available for new employees and specifically for new grads.

Does anyone have any experience within the home health setting? I'm interested in pursuing home health immediately after I graduate, however I have heard that may not be the best decision. If you've had some experience what do you feel are the benefits of this setting as well as the challenges?

Thanks in advance.

Why did they say it might not be the best decision? Just curious because I start PT school in the fall, and home health interests me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did they say it might not be the best decision? Just curious because I start PT school in the fall, and home health interests me.
Most would discourage new grads from going into home health immediately upon graduation because you are literally on your own. The pros are nice with scheduling and the like, but learning is hard. You're on your own with no one to turn to, unlike in a clinic or hospital or rehab (or mostly any other setting) where the chances of having another person nearby to say, "what do you think?" is much greater. That being said, there are people that do it, but from those that I know that did it straight out they did say they felt it was hard to perfect skills and learn and had to be very self-motivated to continue improving in their skill set through continuing education and whatnot.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance.

Currently I do outpatient and home health. Most people would tell you that doing home health as a new grad is not the best decision due to your clinical inexperience. You are alone with the pt. and need to be prepared for anything (clinical/psychological/environmental). I had to call 911 once, pt. was having a TIA. If you are going into home health as a new grad, find an agency that will train/mentor. Pros to home health: make your own schedule (ie take a 2hr lunch, run errands in between pts., etc...); also great pay. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you are in LinkedIn, there is a discussion about Home Health PT. I did a copy-and-paste of the main points below:

============================================================================
From one poster:
I did it for a few years here is what I think:
1) You must be comfortable being on your own...very little interaction with any other person on the team, often times you may never even meet the other caregivers...
2) Be very familiar with medical issues, you need to have the mind set of SNF/hospital WAY more than outpatient in the way you think, create a care plan, document, etc.
3) Learn the federal laws, only takes about 2 hours to read the CMS benefit manual about home health, good place to get some grounded info
4) be prepared for a LOT of phone calls, faxes, emails, and PAPERWORK, more so than actual patient time
5) There is a lot on the line, so you must be AWESOME documented
6) Patients are older, and less tolerant to tardiness etc, need to be a great time predictor and time manager
7) Be prepared for crazy days, inevitably, a patient will not call and cancel and throw off your day as you get a new patient 50 miles away where you just were, etc, you MUST roll with the punches
8) Love to eat in your car! learn where the clean bathrooms are around town! Get ready to put insane mileage on your car! Get ready to go through tires, breaks, oil changes, and gas like you have never done before!
9) Lots of meetings! LOTS of meetings!
10) It is a nurse hierarchy like a hospital, know your role...
11) Learn to balance patient expectation, physician expectations, agency expectations, family expectations, and what the federal laws allow, and let the federal laws trump all, just set the bar at realism and don't over promise, and you will be fine...
12) FLEXIBILITY....you have a work week 7 days, to get things done, you can often take a 2 day off period in the middle of the week even and get everything done just fine...very flexible but most patients want between 10 and 3...not many before, not many after, plan your day appropriately!
13) Work 7 days a week or work 2, very flexible!
14) GREAT pay, one of the best paying jobs in therapy
15) Will not get much clinical satisfaction...if you are used to acute neuro or fast paced outpatient etc, you will feel like your clinical skills are being wasted and eroding, and you will not feel very challenged clinically as much as all the other things, the paperwork, time management, etc. Don't go into this for clinical self rewarding.

From another poster:
I've seen some patients on their homes and stopped for the following reasons:
1 - paperwork is too much
2 - unfamiliarity with the ever changing and updating regulations esp. my role as a PT
3 - long travel time and traffic in NYC; a lot of time is wasted in traveling and paperwork doesn't weigh the reimbursement

============================================================================

Reactions: 1 users
And the cons to home health, DPTinFL?
For me the cons were the massive amount of mileage I was going to put on my car, most companies if the patient cancels/no shows then you do not get paid for that visit, being all alone (without someone to ask for help), potentially going into sketchy areas (I mean, I am not very fearful, but the company I interviewed with had a specific area they were looking for; if I go into home care I want to say where I'm willing to go/where I want to go- like near my home, whereas they needed someone to be doing work about 1/2 hour-45 minutes from my house), not getting paid for mileage (again, the company I interviewed with did do a lower pay for travel time, but not mileage and nothing for the wear and tear of the car), the amount of work that is done outside seeing the patients (I was concerned with how much work I would be bringing home with me), I currently lack the space for a home office (which I feel would be paramount for me to be organized as a home health PT)... DPTinFL, what else do you feel are cons?

That's the thing about home health- the pros are AWESOME and the cons are really cons. Haha.

Also, from my clinical experience I full heartedly agree with what jbil posted.

Cons: Similar to what has been posted. Other cons: 1. Not able to treat as much meaning doing mostly evals and have PTA treat. 2. The inability to do certain exercises or manual therapy due to lack of a treatment table. 3. I usually call & confirm before performing a visit so cancel/no shows are very minimal.

With that said, I am an independent contractor (part time) for home health agencies and have a good set up going. I do not have to go to meetings. I pick the zip codes I want to be in (basically I get a txt/email saying "pt is in 336XX, do you want to take on the case?" and so my travel time is up to me. I have a choice in treating a pt. or passing them on to a PTA depending on the case.

Paperwork is NOT bad, 15 mins top, some online, some actual paper (end of the day, scan and email). Some agencies have you do OASIS paperwork (longer), I do it (only @ discharge if I am the last provider to see pt.) but get compensated extra $25. Keeping up with regulations is not bad neither, I get email updates from the agencies and get educated that way. I haven't had any issues with RNs.

Can't think of anything else.

Thanks everyone for your input it is greatly appreciated. Jblil your post from LinkedIn was really helpful and answered many of my questions. As of right now I'm trying to get a home health clinical rotation before I graduate in order to see first hand how things flow.

Thanks Again

any advice on key questions to ask before accepting a position with a home health company or other things I should be aware of? This is a new setting for me as I practice in outpatient ortho. The company is telling me they will "train" me on everything I need to know, but I would like to be more informed going in.

Here's some things I asked the company I interviewed with...
1) requirements beyond your physical visit with the patient (things like paperwork, staff meetings, continuing education, etc)
2) how many visits per week you must have to be considered full time and what the cancellation policies are/how that affects your payment and your full-time status
3) a mentorship program for being an employee that is new to the company (they said they will train you- what does the training involve?)
4) how do you build your caseload? Do you get assistance with this? (the company I interviewed with pays a salary for the first 3 months as you build up your case load)
5) how are you paid- do you get any reimbursement for time to complete paperwork, travel/mileage, etc.