Home infusion Rph duties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to make the change from retail to home infusion. I’m very excited but also a little scared. I’ve only worked retail and feel like I’m in for a big adjustment. Wondering how I can prepare ahead of time for this transition, what should I brush up on?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your home infusion job! There are many different type of therapy in home infusion and your job will tell you which one is your main focus. Generally they are:
* Clotting factors: usually there is a hemophilla team dealing with this. You probably dont have to worry about this.
* Abx: refresh your infectious disease knowledge such as vanco dosing/ monitoring
* TPN: refresh your math skill
* Pain cassette : know how to converse one opioid to another
* Immunoglobulin : just know general indications, common side effects and how to manage them. You'll learn more on your job
* Biologics: same as with immunoglobulin
* IV line: ask your nurse friend about PIV, PICC, Port. Ask yourself what supply do I need to get the drug from the vial to the patient 's vein?
You probably learn to use new softwares (Epic, CPR+, Carelink...). The whole workflow will be different. It seems overwhelming at first, but as long as you work hard, you will be fine. Remember that you are NOT a new grad and therefore you have a lot of knowledge & experience also. Show them how good you are !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, forget one thing: be prepared to be on-call. It is probably the worst part of working home infusion!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, forget one thing: be prepared to be on-call. It is probably the worst part of working home infusion!
I think that's the biggest challenge. Clinical stuff/dosing is something that can be learned over time since the orders tend to fit a pattern. Home infusion hours are typically 9-5 with on call, which can be quite challenging. I take call in the LTC setting too but at least I'm able to somewhat sleep in and work the late shift whenever I take it.