Home school required interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's school dependent. My schools gives everyone an interview. Some schools have a separate day for their students.

Usually yes but I know plenty of programs that do not offer their own students a courtesy interview.

With so many talented applicants out there, why waste a position on someone inferior simply because they attended that school?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean everyone? Everyone who applies, or everyone from that school who applies?

Obviously everyone from that school.

You know a derm program that can extend 400+ interviews?

I'm not much for turning down derm interviews but I would turn down an offer that had me jostling with 400 other interviewees.

Board scores don't necessarily mean everything you know. There are a great deal of talented and awsome applicants that don't necessarily have a 250 board score, AOA, with a ton of publications. Just like there are a great deal of applicants to med school who don't necessarily have the numbers but would still make great doctors. #'s are used to weed people out. There really is no reason someone would need a 240 or whatever on step 1 to match into derm, other than to weed applicants out.

Seems like you have an issue with your own home institution? Perhaps you'd receive a more satisfactory answer in taking your question to them?

:idea:

While I agree with you that there's certainly nothing that indicates your Step 1 score, your AOA status, your publication list, etc... etc... would make you a better or inferior dermatologist.

But if you were a PD, wouldn't you select from the best applicant pool (by numbers)?

I think you would be lying to yourself if you said you would willingly extend interview offers without considering that information.

Because at the end of the day, if you're churning through 400+ applications, how else are you going to make cuts?