Honest feedback on my schools and chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamSchulz

Reaction score
First time applicant.
1. cGPA: 3.69 (3 semesters of Ancient Greek kicked my butt)
2. sGPA: 3.77
3. MCAT: 515 (130/128/129/128)
4. Minnesota
5. I am a white male, SES-Disadvantage, and come from rural area not served by medicine (Indicated by US governement)
6. I attend a small liberal arts college in Minn, Chem major
7. 500 hours clinical non-volunteer as a Nursing Assistant in long term care facility and 65 hours clinical volunteering at Mayo greeting people and working on the pediatric floor helping kids adjust to the hospital. I also am going to have roughly 450 hours clinical volunteer after this summer working in the surgical core at Mayo.
8. 132 hours of research at undergrad in biochem lab, no posters/pres/pub, but it has been really meaningful and I have helped contribute a large amount of data to the hypothesis the lab is currently working on about PETase. Also 50 hours (kinda undershot that number looking back) in a clinical research lab, did do a presentation on our research but nothing crazy. I will say that although it was only 50 hours listed, that is all time spent with patients during check ups, which last roughly 4 hours each patient. Hearing the stories from paraplegic patients in the trial was really shocking for me, and one of my schools is where this research takes place so I would love to attend there and continue with this.
9. 550 hours shadowing neurosurgery team for 10 weeks. This honestly was more then shadowing as I was there so much (typically 5:30 am to 7-8 pm) that I often helped present patients to the chief resident, answers calls in OR room, relayed pages to surgeons operating, helped pull up scans in OR, gowned surgeons, even grabbing food for the chief resident since she was actually pregnant at the time (she was the best). I recieved 2 letters of recommendation from the two attendings, but I couldn't submit them to every school as I already had a committee letter with 4 letters of rec from professors. Also 40 hours shadowing urology department at Mayo Clinic during freshman year helped me believe I could achieve this even after struggling in my fall freshman year.
10. Nonclinical Volunteering: Honestly this might be my strongest point, at least I think so, but it is hard to convey over essay. I have around 750 hours volunteering through my families non-profit indoor natural hockey rink we run in the winter. I started helping at the of 14 in 2015 when I began driving our old zamboni, but most of these hours came in later years, I put the long time frame as I am proud how long my brother and I have been the main caretakers. This rink means everything to my family as my father started it in 2005, he then passed that spring in 2006 and we have kept it going for the last 16 years with the help of the community. It is free of charge for everyone, and can be used at anytime. I also have 20 hours at the food shelf and 10 hours teaching physics to elementary kids to help encourage science exploration.
11. I have been a TA for Gen Chem lab for the last 3 semester, 220 hours total and 80 more hours next fall. I have also worked at the on campus hockey rink for 2 years, 328 hours total. I also put hobbies down because I felt like it was important to show who I am, ever since I entered college I have spent close to 1000 hours doing my 2 favorite things of reading and exercising (lifting, running, hockey, golf, and soccer). I like to post some of my books on insta and rate them.
12. I only put one award, which we recieved for my rink, looking back I could've put my 3 semesters on the deans list or the scholarships I won last semester. But the service award from the Rotary Club meant a lot for my family and myself as it showed us we were truly making an impact on our community.
13. The hospital internship I did my shadowing (It was apart of an internship) was the saftey net hospital for the state and has really made me interested in serving disadvantaged communities through medicine and outside the walls of the hospital. I talk about that in MME as well.

You can probably tell from shadowing that I do have a deep interest in neurosurgery, any suggestions on other schools would be nice

My Current School list is
Case Western, specifically the College program, U of Minn, Mayo, Emory, Georgetown, George washington, Loyola, U of Vermont, Rush, Brown, Tufts, Tulane, U of Iowa, U of Miami, Wake Forest, Jefferson, and Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

You could add any of these schools to your application:
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
USF Morsani
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh

You could add any of these schools to your application:
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
USF Morsani
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Thank you for the advice, I will definitely take a look at these!