Honest Opinion: What are my chances of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huankn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to pursue a career in dentistry, but want an honest opinion of what my chances are of getting in as I have a low GPA.

BA Medical Anthropology & Global Health, and Minor in Chemistry
GPA: 3.2 (maybe 3.3 by the time I graduate) ~sharp upward trajectory in last year

Extracurriculars:
Volunteer Dental Assistant at Homeless Shelter(500 + hours),
Volunteer English Instructor for Refugees/Immigrants
Going on a Dental mission in the summer
(please suggest any other extracurriculars that may help)

Confident I have strong Letter's of Rec

I haven't taken the DAT, but aiming to score around a 20, maybe 21?

I am a WA resident and my dream school would be UW, just because it would allow me to save money by moving back in with my parents and the privilege of instate tuition, although I would be very excited to pursue dentistry in any university.
I know the UW average acceptance stats are a ~3.6 GPA and 20.4 DAT :(

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed with the above. You should use your DAT to strengthen the argument that your current abilities don't reflect your early years in undergrad i.e. DAT scores will work hand in hand with your sharp trend and make it that much more compelling!
Best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user
You still have a shot, but a lot of it will ride on your DAT scores. Study for it well and aim for a higher than average score to offset your lower than average GPA.
What score would you suggest be a good score to to offset my low gpa? 21 or 22?

Members don't see this ad :)
What score would you suggest be a good score to to offset my low gpa? 21 or 22?
"aim 30" as Dr. Romano and Nancy often say lol, but definitely strive for a 22 (or higher) imo. It can be done no doubt!

Best.

Aim high on the DAT, it isn't impossible to do well on it! Just make sure you set aside enough time, and utilize the correct resources... I'm sure you'll surprise yourself.

Once you start studying, feel free to message me about the process or any questions you might have about your test.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users
You have a shot, maybe take a few extra courses to boost your gpa a bit. But you must score high on the DAT, ideally 21+. Don't give up!

If you read any of these threads, I hope you read this post. I joined SDN just to post this thread to show how important this is for future dentists, and all individuals who aspire to becoming a fellow member of the healthcare community. You can drive yourself ****ing insane looking at these threads. YOU WILL NEVER FIND AN ANSWER HERE. I used to come here looking for inspiration and hope. These threads are cancer. Went to Loyola for undergrad. I was a **** student. Period. Took the DAT and got a 19. I was not spectacular by any means. Took a one year masters program at Midwestern University in Downers Grove, Illinois. Smashed it. Got in the following year to the same program. If you are reading this, do yourself a favor. Get the **** off this page. There is nothing here for you. If you want something or have questions about what the next step may be in your path, go out and ask questions to someone involved in a department. The people on here do not know wtf they are talking about. Chances are, they are students, which is why they are on here in the first place. Don't let these posts affect you positively/negatively in any way. It all comes down to whether how bad you want it and how your interview goes. If you work hard, it will show. Don't become poisoned with anxiety and depression about the chance of not getting in. If you're dedicated, it will happen. I promise. I hope any troubled student who sees this finds comfort in this post. The fight is only over when YOU lower the weapon. May the force be with you.

Reactions: 6 users
If you read any of these threads, I hope you read this post. I joined SDN just to post this thread to show how important this is for future dentists, and all individuals who aspire to becoming a fellow member of the healthcare community. You can drive yourself ****ing insane looking at these threads. YOU WILL NEVER FIND AN ANSWER HERE. I used to come here looking for inspiration and hope. These threads are cancer. Went to Loyola for undergrad. I was a **** student. Period. Took the DAT and got a 19. I was not spectacular by any means. Took a one year masters program at Midwestern University in Downers Grove, Illinois. Smashed it. Got in the following year to the same program. If you are reading this, do yourself a favor. Get the **** off this page. There is nothing here for you. If you want something or have questions about what the next step may be in your path, go out and ask questions to someone involved in a department. The people on here do not know wtf they are talking about. Chances are, they are students, which is why they are on here in the first place. Don't let these posts affect you positively/negatively in any way. It all comes down to whether how bad you want it and how your interview goes. If you work hard, it will show. Don't become poisoned with anxiety and depression about the chance of not getting in. If you're dedicated, it will happen. I promise. I hope any troubled student who sees this finds comfort in this post. The fight is only over when YOU lower the weapon. May the force be with you.

Youre kinda like a smoker going to a health website saying "OMG I smoked for 30 years and Im healthy, dont listen to the naysayers. You can smoke and not get cancer! Everyone saying smoking leads to cancer is just fuelling anxiety and make everyone feel negative. Id say leave this website!!!". Sure, there are smokers that arent as affected but for the vast majority, smoking = worsening of health. Its nice you have a personal anecdote that concludes the opposite but Im assuming the vast majority of those with 3.2 oGPA and a 19AA isnt getting in. Telling them to just believe and close their eyes to their competition is a bit ...self-delusional. 3.2 is not competitive, neither is 19AA. Its the truth and maybe it helps some people to shut their monitors, close their eyes, and wish for the best - but for the rest of us, Id say SDN is super helpful.

And for OP, your GPA is on the lower end, a course based masters with a high GPA, and a DAT 22+ would help. You dont need to volunteer more, they know you are socialized with the public.

UW is extremely competitive, your grades are no where near the average acceptance gpa. Almost everyone enrolled did undergrad research at UW Health Sciences. If you are attending a regional college like Western, Central, Eastern or even Wazzu a 3.2 is even worse. Crushing the DAT gains you little as almost every competitive applicant crushes their DAT. Let's be honest, unless you can check certain application boxes there is basically no way a 3.2 gets you in. All is not lost, some of the less competitive private schools accept people with a B science average.

I had a 3.58 gpa and 20AA/21TS, UW undergrad student and WA resident. Had an interview but was not accepted. Even with average matriculant stats I didn't get accepted, so you may face some hurdles.

The school is laughably expensive and even being OOS at another school I pay similarly as if I stayed in-state at UW ($89k/yr). The tuition will only get worse because of gross mismanagement of funds of the school and the millions of debt it is in (reason why the dean resigned). I understand the school is your first-choice, but don't be bothered if you have to relocate. There are less expensive schools out there, and even if you have to pay 100k more than in-state compared with your peers, it's still likely to be less expensive than UW.

Last edited:
Considering the fact that you have a low GPA, you will need to compensate by getting a higher DAT score. Also, I would suggest that you get involved in more extracurriculars. I know of some people that joined the ASDA committee including myself which increased my chances of getting into dental school. When I went in for my interview yesterday the admissions person asked who was a member of the ASDA and I was the only one. I guess it makes you stand out when you apply for dental school. It is definitely worth it you should become a member!

Interviewed at uw with a 3.3-3.4 gpa. I also had an upward trend in my fourth year. Message me if you have any questions I don’t think your gpa is a dealbreaker
Thank you for your input!
Do you mind me asking what you did to offset your GPA and your DAT score?