Honest opinions only please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does it make financial sense for a Canadian to get their OD in the states? The schools I have looked at have tuition near the 250k USD mark. That is over $300k CAD in debt. Average optometrist makes around $80k as a new graduate in Ontario.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

What advantages do US schools have over Canadian schools?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I don't think it's worth it personally.. Try to get into the Canadian school (even tho it is super competitive)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Does it make financial sense for a Canadian to get their OD in the states? The schools I have looked at have tuition near the 250k USD mark. That is over $300k CAD in debt. Average optometrist makes around $80k as a new graduate in Ontario.

Any opinions?

Is your Mom or Dad a successful Optometrist with a thriving practice and a job for you once you graduate?

Is your Mom or Dad a successful Optometrist with a thriving practice and a job for you once you graduate?

Question was asked on behalf of my friend. But no, he's the first generation going to graduate school.

Financially it might not be worth it. I would definitely try for the Waterloo school too! But if this is truly what he wants to do then I say go for it!