Honeymoon Cost

jut254

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancé and I are getting married in the winter of 2016 and we're looking at honeymoon stuff. I am currently a third year med student and she will work as an engineer to cover the costs of living while I'm in school. What do you think I could spend on the honeymoon total solely based off of future compensation. Is it something I can spend more than 10000 on because of my future earning? I have been dating her for 7 years and this will be our first vacation alone together so I want to make it one to remember.

Members don't see this ad.

My fiancé and I are getting married in the winter of 2016 and we're looking at honeymoon stuff. I am currently a third year med student and she will work as an engineer to cover the costs of living while I'm in school. What do you think I could spend on the honeymoon total solely based off of future compensation. Is it something I can spend more than 10000 on because of my future earning? I have been dating her for 7 years and this will be our first vacation alone together so I want to make it one to remember.

a) "because of my future earnings" - what does that mean? You have to pay for it now, not in the future. Do you have the means to pay for a 10K honeymoon? I wouldn't recommend taking out a loan or taking on long-term credit card debt to pay for a vacation

b) you can take an extremely nice vacation for a fraction of the price

c) you haven't gone on a vacation with her alone in 7 years of dating?

d) you're engaged now but aren't getting married for 2.5 years?

In my opinion you should NEVER finance a vacation. It doesn't matter where you go on your honeymoon, it is going to be memorable for entirely different reasons. Depending on your specialty and the number of kids you have, even as an attending you probably won't be able to spend $10000 for a vacation for just 2 people. In my 13 years of marriage, my wife and I have never gone on a vacation that costs more than $5000.

Reactions: 1 user

You didn't give a whole lot of information in your post to give us a good idea of how realistic this may be.

If you are currently a 3rd yr med student, this means you are planning to get married during winter of your intern year, is this correct?

If so, several things (in addition to the questions by @southernIM):
1. do you think you and your future wife can pay for both a wedding AND a $10K vacation (side note: what kind of vacation are you thinking? where are you going? for how long?) on her salary plus your intern salary (after likely moving to a new location, with those related expenses, in the same relative timeframe)? Have you figured out a budget and found this feasible? Keep in mind that once you start intern year, it may be a few weeks before you get a paycheck, and your engineer fiancee will likely be the bigger breadwinner for now.
2. do you think you will be able to schedule a wedding when you want it, planning this well in advance, AND get off enough time for a $10K honeymoon while an intern? Your program may or may not be willing to work with you on this, especially since a "$10K" vacation is likely a long one, and many programs won't give you more than 1-2 weeks off at a time. Most PDs are reasonable, but vacation schedules can be fairly inflexible at some programs, and you only get so much time off by contract.
3. If you have to move for residency (keep in mind the majority of people do), your fiancee will also likely be relocating and looking for a new job, which will also interrupt her income, and she will also have to abide by her vacation allowances and so forth in her new position.
4. You said your fiancee "will work". Is she not currently working? Is she still in school? Is she not helping cover COL with you currently?
5. How much debt you both are in will also make a difference with what you can afford.