Hong Kong Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatez

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre-med student at UCDavis and was considering applying for medical school in Hong Kong. But, I am confused about the whole process. From what I understand the program there is a 5 year undergrad degree with one year of intership so I am guessing for admission you only need a highschool degree? The questions is will having a college degree in Biochem be an influence in the admission decision. Also, do they accept MCAT scores as I stand to take the august test this year. As for the cantonese requirement I can speak fluently and also have an Hong Kong ID even though I have lived in the US most of my life. In addition, after I get a degree there what steps would I need to take to practice in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

fatez said:
I am currently a pre-med student at UCDavis and was considering applying for medical school in Hong Kong. But, I am confused about the whole process. From what I understand the program there is a 5 year undergrad degree with one year of intership so I am guessing for admission you only need a highschool degree? The questions is will having a college degree in Biochem be an influence in the admission decision. Also, do they accept MCAT scores as I stand to take the august test this year. As for the cantonese requirement I can speak fluently and also have an Hong Kong ID even though I have lived in the US most of my life. In addition, after I get a degree there what steps would I need to take to practice in the US.

bump

+ p.s. fatez, which year are you planning to apply for in HK? fall07?

Members don't see this ad :)
j-med said:
bump

+ p.s. fatez, which year are you planning to apply for in HK? fall07?
Thx for the bump before I was planning on fall 07 however it looks like I might just end up doing post bac and applying for fall 08 for schools in the US and Canada. However if anyone does have any information on HK schools please respond.

Your Biochem degree would help only if your mark is competitive (in relative terms, of course), because there are actually quite a lot of oversea degree holders applying for HKU and CUHK.

As for MCAT, I don't believe it is looked at by the admission committee unless it is remarkable.

They say you need to be fluent in Chinese. I was admitted without being tested on my Chinese language proficiency but I know some of my classmates from overseas were asked to write a Chinese proficiency test.

To go back to the States, you certainly would need to write all the USMLEs first before applying for residencies back at US.

Hope it answered some of your questions.

fatez said:

Hi kng kng:

Did you do you pre med degree overseas as well? What year are you at the moment?

Your Biochem degree would help only if your mark is competitive (in relative terms, of course), because there are actually quite a lot of oversea degree holders applying for HKU and CUHK.

As for MCAT, I don't believe it is looked at by the admission committee unless it is remarkable.

They say you need to be fluent in Chinese. I was admitted without being tested on my Chinese language proficiency but I know some of my classmates from overseas were asked to write a Chinese proficiency test.

To go back to the States, you certainly would need to write all the USMLEs first before applying for residencies back at US.

Hope it answered some of your questions.
They did not test your Chinese language proficiency?

Does that mean they did not require you to be fluency in Cantonese?

I thought they have two parts of interview, one in English and one in Cantonese.

You're looking at a 2006 thread, but I'll answer your question.

For HKU, part of the interview (1 question for me) will be in Cantonese.
The CUHK interview is entirely in English but they do ask if you can speak fluent Cantonese.

That is for non-JUPAS interviews, which is different from JUPAS but I guess if you're applying JUPAS you should be able to speak Cantonese as well.