Hopkins MS vs. MHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the MHS and MS programs? Aren't traditional science masters degree's all MS degrees? Which one is harder? I am looking into the program during the lag year between medical school, so I will be applying and interviewing etc. during that year.

Tinkerbelle - you had mentioned that the reproductive bio track was doable during that lag year, in addition to applying and interviewing at med schools. Does the same hold true for the MS degrees?

Thanks,

Nabeel

Members don't see this ad.

From the Hopkins website:

"The master of public health (MPH) degree is a School-wide program without formal departmental affiliation. Applicants are requested to indicate a department of interest to assist in advisor selection. The master of health science (MHS) degree allows students to choose a research focus."

http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/

AND:

The Master of Health Science (MHS) degree is a specialized master’s degree offered in each of the academic departments of the School. Depending on the department and specific area of study, the MHS degree provides opportunities for advanced study and research or prepares individuals to begin or advance their careers as public health professionals in their chosen area of study.

The professional MHS degree programs offer an alternative to the MPH degree. These professional MHS programs provide less experienced students with the opportunity to apply what they have learned in class and to gain practical experience. For individuals with prior health-related professional experience, the professional MHS programs provide specialized, in-depth academic training to advance their skills.

MHS programs for advanced study and research in various concentrations are offered by the departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (reproductive biology), Biostatistics (general biostatistics), Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Mental Hygiene), and by the Graduate Training Program in Clinical Investigation (clinical investigation).

MHS programs that prepare students to begin or advance their careers as public health professionals are offered in various concentrations by the departments of Environmental Health Sciences (industrial hygiene), Health Policy and Management (health education; health policy; health finance and management), International Health (Social and Behavioral Interventions; Disease Prevention and Control; Human
Nutrition) and Population and Family Health Sciences.
http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/degreeprograms/MHS.html

nabeel76 said:
What is the difference between the MHS and MS programs? Aren't traditional science masters degree's all MS degrees? Which one is harder? I am looking into the program during the lag year between medical school, so I will be applying and interviewing etc. during that year.

Tinkerbelle - you had mentioned that the reproductive bio track was doable during that lag year, in addition to applying and interviewing at med schools. Does the same hold true for the MS degrees?

Thanks,

Nabeel

Usually MS degrees are 2 year programs and you do real reasearch. At Hopkins, the 2 year degree was called ScM (or at least that's what it's called in my department). The MHS degree is easier and only takes 1 year. For the ScM degree, yes, you can interview and apply as well. Essentially, the ScM program is the same thing as the MHS program, but you stay an extra year and work in a lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to the MHS program in reproductive biology at hopkins for the fall and am just getting all of my stuff in. It seems like a good opportunity to take some upper level science courses as I'm getting kind of out of the "academic loop."

Tinkerbelle, did you do this program? If you did do you have any feedback on it?

Tink! Tink! Tink!

Speak to us!

JDWflash44 said:
I've applied to the MHS program in reproductive biology at hopkins for the fall and am just getting all of my stuff in. It seems like a good opportunity to take some upper level science courses as I'm getting kind of out of the "academic loop."

Tinkerbelle, did you do this program? If you did do you have any feedback on it?

Yup, I did the program. I really loved it. There are some awesome courses (which you should take if you can) and then there are some courses you should avoid like the plague :p If you want, I can post which classes were really good.

Also, you really should try and get old tests from "upperclassmen". I have a bunch of stuff which y'all can use. I told one of your future classmates I'd give her my stuff... but you both can have it.

tinkerbelle said:
Yup, I did the program. I really loved it. There are some awesome courses (which you should take if you can) and then there are some courses you should avoid like the plague :p If you want, I can post which classes were really good.

Also, you really should try and get old tests from "upperclassmen". I have a bunch of stuff which y'all can use. I told one of your future classmates I'd give her my stuff... but you both can have it.

How hard is it to get in ?

sunnyjohn said:
How hard is it to get in ?

Hmm. The year I applied, there was an unusually high number of applicants (and thus a little competitive). But in general, I don't think it is too hard. People had a wide range of stats. Some barely had 3.0's, others practically had 4.0's. Some people had awesome MCAT scores (33+), while others had scores in the low/mid 20's.

I think you should apply, sunnyjohn :)

yea, if you could post which classes are great and which to avoid that would be very much appreciated. Thanks

This is from a PM I sent another sdner. I hope it is helpful :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

principles of toxicology - awesome class

immunology - really hard (you're going to be studying your butt off), but it's an amazing class. You learn sooo much. Make sure you get to class early so you can go upstairs and print out the lectures. Sometimes the professor didn't post the lectures until right before class, so if you were late, you had to take your own notes. The professor recommended buying the book by Janeway. However, I found a book which was much easier to understand (Immunology by Kuby).

I regret not taking Epidemiology. Two of my friends took it, and they said they learned a lot. The professor is one of the top dudes in the field. So if you have a chance to take it, then do.

Some of my friends took biochemistry, and they hated it. They really didn't learn anything and thought the class was poorly taught.

Term 2

Immunology II - Definitely take the second half of immuno. It's more interesting and you see the connections between immunolgy and tropical diseases (like river blindness, malaria, etc).

Introduction to the US Health Care System- If you don't know much about our health care system, definitely take this class. It really helped me prepare for med school interviews (since interviewers may ask you questions about single payer systems and why so many americans are uninsured)

Molecular Biology of Diesease - Total waste of time. You read a bunch of boring articles and then discuss them in class. I didn't learn a darn thing. And don't worry- you'll get enough practice reading articles and analyzing them in Zirkin's, Brown's, and Wright's required repro bio classes.

Usually Toxicology is awesome, but skip the second term tox course. My friends who took it didn't like it.

Other courses (i forget when they are offered):

Clinical Aspects of Tropical Disease- This course is really interesting. You learn about the major diseases affecting Africa, India, and other countries. I think this is a good class to take, but it's hard in that they test you from a clinician's point of view. So when you study for tests, make sure you see the connections between dieases and how exactly they are transmitted. Also, pay attention to the clinical scenarios the professors give in class.

Food and Water-borne Diseases - This was a great class!

Molecular Carcinogenesis - I think this class is offered third term by the Toxicology Department. It was an ok class. I think it strengthened my molecular bio knowledge. Plus, it was helpful for the 4th term Repro Bio class.

Molecular Biology - Yuck. Don't take this class if you've taken molecular bio in undergrad. I was soooo bored. You really don't learn anything new (or at least I didn't).

Principles of Nutrition - This class was sooo much fun. You learn about nutrition, supplements, and some of the weight loss products. You learn what to look for and how some of these products are total scams. At the end of the term, you pick a weigh loss supplement/diet and give a presentation on it. You also do research to substantiate or disprove the claims on the product labels. The exams are also a piece of cake. This class is an easy A

Environmental Immunology - After taking the real immunology class, I found this class to be a repeat of the same info. There was some new information, but not much. This class will be an easy A though. Some of my friends really liked this class. The professor is really laid back.

JDWflash44 said:
yea, if you could post which classes are great and which to avoid that would be very much appreciated. Thanks

What a coincidence... your profile says you are working at NIH. I work right across the street!

Thanks Thinkerbell!
Great info.

I have to see what my fiance want to do before I figure out where to go. JH looks wonderful.

So what diet supplement really works?

Trimspa, Leptoprin, etc?

Originally posted by tinkerbelle:
"Also, you really should try and get old tests from "upperclassmen". I have a bunch of stuff which y'all can use. I told one of your future classmates I'd give her my stuff... but you both can have it."

I just stumbled across this thread, and I wanted to introduce myself (although I don't post very often). I have been accepted into, and will attend the MHS program in Reproductive Biology Fall 2005. I applied in March, and received my acceptance in May. (The admin assistant said the faculty members were moving slow, becauase the official deadline isn't until June). Anyway, everyone has been nice (especially tinkerbelle :) ). I look forward to starting the program. I can't wait!

tink, I'm coming for "my stuff" soon!

woolfda

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to all for the valuable info, especially sunnyjohn and tinkerbelle. You guys are great!

Tinkerbelle - if you can forward me a copy of those tests that would be cool. I am still in the process of finishing my undergrad and will not be able to apply to the program till at least 07 but I can't wait, it looks great.

Thanks,

Nabeel

woolfda said:
tink, I'm coming for "my stuff" soon!

woolfda

:laugh: Ok. Your "stuff" will be waiting here on my bedroom floor :p I think I already PM'ed you that I'll be back in Baltimore in August, so just let me know!

nabeel76 said:
Thanks to all for the valuable info, especially sunnyjohn and tinkerbelle. You guys are great!

you're wlecome :)

Tinkerbelle - if you can forward me a copy of those tests that would be cool. I am still in the process of finishing my undergrad and will not be able to apply to the program till at least 07 but I can't wait, it looks great.

Hmm. I don't think I have any electronic versions of tests. Just paper copies. I suppose I can check my disks though.

tinkerbelle said:
you're wlecome :)

Hmm. I don't think I have any electronic versions of tests. Just paper copies. I suppose I can check my disks though.

Do you have access to a fax machine? If not let me know when you are in Baltimore, I am in DC, maybe I can meet you somewhere. Take your time, I am in no rush - I have over a year of undergrad to complete still.

Thanks.

Finances a year ago killed my chance of going there. I got into the MHS program in international health (the disease prevention stream) but was told that most of the agencies that provide paid placements for the mandatory field component restricted funding to US and/or international students, where international really means developing country. I didn't think I could risk not getting any aid/funding and paying $70000 Canadian for a year and a half there, then trying to fund med school. Plus, I talked to several people in the field who said "If you're going to spend all that money on a MHS, why not do the MPH which is more recognized?"

It's a wonderful place though, with amazing, nice faculty (one old emeritus prof who was at the open house spent a lot of time with me and went way out of his way to find other Canadian students there for me to contact), a very diverse student body from all over the world and with a variety of experiences, and a great building. If you haven't been, you should attend the open house in Oct.

I just wanted to introduce myself to this thread. I just got accepted into the MHS program (reproductive biology for fall 2005). I'm so excited and at the same time i have so many questions! Congrats to woolfda and everyone else on their acceptance. It really didn't take long to hear back from them (i was actually worried that I might be very late in the process and the spots were already full).

Tink,
I have so many questions for you b/c i you're the only one i have found that has actually gone through the program.

Cheers!!

eaglescout said:
Tink,
I have so many questions for you b/c i you're the only one i have found that has actually gone through the program.

Ask away :)

nabeel76 said:
Do you have access to a fax machine? If not let me know when you are in Baltimore, I am in DC, maybe I can meet you somewhere. Take your time, I am in no rush - I have over a year of undergrad to complete still.

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't have a fax machine.

tinkerbelle,

Feel free to share any of your comments about my questions on this thread. I'm sure other (fellow MHS) peeps would be interested to know.

eaglescout said:
tinkerbelle,

Feel free to share any of your comments about my questions on this thread. I'm sure other (fellow MHS) peeps would be interested to know.

Hmm. Good idea :)

1) how many people are in the program

It varies from year to year. The year I did the program (2003-2004), there were about 20 of us. Usually the program is half the size. So I don't really know how many people there will be for this upcoming year.

2) where do most of them live
2a) Reed Hall seems nice but other posts don't have a favorable impression of it.

A lot of us are hopkins undergrads. So most of my friends lived in their old apartments by Homewood (the undergrad campus). There is a super reliable shuttle that runs between Homewood, Peabody, and the School of Public Health. So if you want, look for a place near Homewood. It's a much nicer area and it's safer (in my opinion).

I actually decided to live in Reed Hall. It's super convenient and it's cheap (I paid $365/month... i think it costs more now though). The area sucks though. There is absolutely nothing to do. Bring a car if you can. Otherwise you'll have to rely on friends to drive you to the grocery store. There is a shuttle that runs to the grocery store 3 times a week, but I always thought it was a pain in the butt and ran at inconvenient times. There are a few other things I hated about Reed Hall, but I guess it's not important. Since you're only there for a year, you might as well live in Reed Hall.

3) If i were to look for off-campus housing, were the is a good area and, more importantly, which are the closest to the campus

Well, see my above comments. Besides Homewood, check out Mt. Vernon, Canton, and Fells Point. All of these places are nice and close.

4) How are the grades given (i.e. letter grades or pass/fail)

Most classes have letter grades. There are a few mini-classes that are pass-fail.

4a) Are the class Mon - Fri and when are they usually held

Most classes are either MW, TTh, or ThF. When I did the program, the repro bio classes were always in the late afternoon (somewhere between 3 and 5pm) and on MW or TTh. But I would think the schedule would chang depending on when the professors are free.

5) How are the dining facilities, do most peoples get meal plans or simply cook themselves

Sorry, there are no meal plans. You have to cook your own food. There are always free lunches and dinners at school though. So just keep an eye out for them.

6) Could i take the old tests off your hands (or at least the copies) (i'll reimberse you for any costs i have incovienced you with)

Of course. Feel free to photo copy my stuff. I have old tests and howework and stuff. I told some of your classmates that I will be in Baltimore in August. So y'all can come over and see what I have then.

7) how much has this program helped you in getting into medical school

I don't think I was a horrible candidate before the program (3.45 gpa, 31 mcat). But my stats definitely weren't impressive enough to gaurentee (?) me an acceptance. I really think I got so many interviews and acceptances b/c of the program. I got 5 acceptances and 11 interviews. In fact, a few of us in the program got 10+ interviews and multiple acceptances. So I suppose I'd have to say that the program was very helpful

8) would you advice in getting a job while in the program

Hmm. Well, I worked a few hours a week down at Bayview (another Hopkins campus about 15 minutes away). Depending on which classes you take, your terms can be fairly intense. Don't work more than 10 hours a week (unless you're superman and can juggle a million things at once). Try to look for a very flexible job so that you can skip work during exam weeks. I really only worked between 3-5 hours a week.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM or IM me at dr tinkerbelle. I really loved the program and I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did :)

- tink

Tinkerbelle - I noticed you mentioned that there were no meal plans. Can I ask how you managed to pay for your living expenses? Will the student loan be sufficient to cover everything, because in my situation I really do not want to work while I am in school.

tinkerbelle said:
It varies from year to year. The year I did the program (2003-2004), there were about 20 of us. Usually the program is half the size. So I don't really know how many people there will be for this upcoming year.

A lot of us are hopkins undergrads. So most of my friends lived in their old apartments by Homewood (the undergrad campus). There is a super reliable shuttle that runs between Homewood, Peabody, and the School of Public Health. So if you want, look for a place near Homewood. It's a much nicer area and it's safer (in my opinion).

I actually decided to live in Reed Hall. It's super convenient and it's cheap (I paid $365/month... i think it costs more now though). The area sucks though. There is absolutely nothing to do. Bring a car if you can. Otherwise you'll have to rely on friends to drive you to the grocery store. There is a shuttle that runs to the grocery store 3 times a week, but I always thought it was a pain in the butt and ran at inconvenient times. There are a few other things I hated about Reed Hall, but I guess it's not important. Since you're only there for a year, you might as well live in Reed Hall.

Well, see my above comments. Besides Homewood, check out Mt. Vernon, Canton, and Fells Point. All of these places are nice and close.

Most classes have letter grades. There are a few mini-classes that are pass-fail.

Most classes are either MW, TTh, or ThF. When I did the program, the repro bio classes were always in the late afternoon (somewhere between 3 and 5pm) and on MW or TTh. But I would think the schedule would chang depending on when the professors are free.

Sorry, there are no meal plans. You have to cook your own food. There are always free lunches and dinners at school though. So just keep an eye out for them.

Of course. Feel free to photo copy my stuff. I have old tests and howework and stuff. I told some of your classmates that I will be in Baltimore in August. So y'all can come over and see what I have then.

I don't think I was a horrible candidate before the program (3.45 gpa, 31 mcat). But my stats definitely weren't impressive enough to gaurentee (?) me an acceptance. I really think I got so many interviews and acceptances b/c of the program. I got 5 acceptances and 11 interviews. In fact, a few of us in the program got 10+ interviews and multiple acceptances. So I suppose I'd have to say that the program was very helpful

Hmm. Well, I worked a few hours a week down at Bayview (another Hopkins campus about 15 minutes away). Depending on which classes you take, your terms can be fairly intense. Don't work more than 10 hours a week (unless you're superman and can juggle a million things at once). Try to look for a very flexible job so that you can skip work during exam weeks. I really only worked between 3-5 hours a week.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM or IM me at dr tinkerbelle. I really loved the program and I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did :)

- tink

nabeel76 said:
Tinkerbelle - I noticed you mentioned that there were no meal plans. Can I ask how you managed to pay for your living expenses? Will the student loan be sufficient to cover everything, because in my situation I really do not want to work while I am in school.

I think the loans should be enough to cover everything. But I can't say for sure because I only borrowed the subsidized and perkins loans. Instead of borrowing unsubsidized loans, I borrowed from a family member. But very few people worked while in the program. So the loans must have been sufficient. I think it just depends how extravagantly you live. One of the reasons I chose to live in Reed Hall was because it was cheap. Others lived in nicer places like Canton and paid two to three times more in rent. I don't know how they managed to pay for everything.

tinkerbelle said:
I think the loans should be enough to cover everything. But I can't say for sure because I only borrowed the subsidized and perkins loans. Instead of borrowing unsubsidized loans, I borrowed from a family member. But very few people worked while in the program. So the loans must have been sufficient. I think it just depends how extravagantly you live. One of the reasons I chose to live in Reed Hall was because it was cheap. Others lived in nicer places like Canton and paid two to three times more in rent. I don't know how they managed to pay for everything.

Cool - Thanks..

tinkerbelle said:

- tink

tinkerbell

I know that you interviewed the year after you took the program, but did you have classmates that interviewed during the program?

Thanks

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
tinkerbell

I know that you interviewed the year after you took the program, but did you have classmates that interviewed during the program?

Thanks

Jim

Yup. There were at least 8 people who applied/interviewed during the program.

Hi guys~

I just decided to move to Rochester, NY. So for those of you who wanted to photocopy my stuff from the program, you're going to have to do it before I pack all my stuff and move.

hi guys,

I know three of you have PMed me recently about my stuff. I've been packing and I found lectures/notes/tests for the following courses. If you want them, you can come pick them up (i live in maryland) otherwise I'm getting rid of them. At any rate, good luck with the program :luck:

- Immunolgy Exams
- Molecular Biology
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Food & Water Borne Diseases
- Molecular Toxicology
- Molecular Biology of Disease
- Nutrition & Diets
- Clinical Aspects of Reproductive Health
- Environmental Immunology
- Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Reproduction