Hopkins vs. UPenn vs. UNC vs. Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins vs. UPenn vs. UNC vs. Vanderbilt

• Hopkins

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • UPenn

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • UNC

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 38 57.6%

• Total voters

SquirmyHermy123

Reaction score
Hey all. I’ve been lucky enough to have a choice between multiple schools that I'm really excited about: Vanderbilt, Hopkins, UNC, and Penn. I’m interested in psychiatry, want to do research in medical school, and want to work with underserved populations. Unfortunately, I will be out of the country until this summer, so I don't have a chance to go to any second look weekends. Here are my thoughts:

Vanderbilt

Pros
I love the sense of community. I’ve met some great students who it was easy to connect with. Everyone on campus was very friendly. People seem to choose Vanderbilt for its community, and I’ve consistently heard great things about the student body
Small class size (95) which I like
1 year preclinical, so built in time for research and more elective time
Nice health equity certificate program
Nashville has good nature, is not too big a city
All P/F per current students
Great interview day
Scholarship for 75% of tuition

Cons
I don’t love the south
Less diverse patient population, and Vanderbilt does not accept Medicaid for all patients, which is very frustrating
Not great for my partner’s career, but she likes Nashville
Other options have better psychiatry research, though Vanderbilt still has some very cool stuff

Hopkins

Pros
Amazing psychiatry research. I’m really excited about all the options, the resources blow my mind
Nice group advising system
Makes it easy to match anywhere
Good for my partners career
Great international public health
All P/F, as of now
Prestige

Cons
I’ve lived in Baltimore for a bit with my partner, who goes to grad school there. The city has its pros, but I would not be excited to live there for four years
I’ve met a good amount of students and they’re nice enough, but intense. Perhaps less a sense of community?
Significantly more expensive than Vandy (~200K more)

Penn

Pros
Penn has a lot of the pros of Hopkins--great research and prestige--but I know a lot less about the program
Really cool psychiatry research
Prestige
Philadelphia has a lot going on, good location for my partner
Would probably prefer to live in Philly than Hopkins
All P/F I think

Cons
I did not like the other applicants who I was interviewing with, I really got the sense that they were high pressure people
I had a weird interview day…
I'm a little intimidated about living in a big city like Philadelphia
Still waiting to hear back about financial aid, but probably much more expensive than Vanderbilt

UNC

Pros
Great primary care and public health opportunities
Beautiful location
Good area for my partner and her career
Really cool psychiatry research
People seem incredibly friendly and down to earth

Cons
Most people stay in North Carolina, and opportunities are geared around that. Not sure if I want to stay in NC
The faculty who I interviewed with were pretty sleepy...
80% of students are in-state
Financial aid is unclear at this point, but probably more expensive than Vanderbilt because I am out of state
Graded clerkships

Overall, my heart is leaning towards Vanderbilt because of the sense of community and super nice students who I have met. But I could probably also find a good community at Hopkins/Penn, and those schools have incredible resources. I know a lot less about Penn than the other schools…
Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it's between Vanderbilt and Penn, with Vanderbilt in the lead. Might also help to add that Penn is *not* pass/fail for clerkships: Core 2 | MD Admissions | Admissions | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.

Also just to clarify, Vanderbilt is not pass/fail all 4 years but it IS pass/fail for clerkship year. It is H/HP/P/F for the non-clerkship clinical year (which I personally believe is much better than clerkship being P/F like it is for Penn): School of Medicine (FMK is pre-clinicals, FCC is clerkships)

And don't sleep on Vandy's psychiatry research, it's very strong too.

Ultimately, considering how much you clearly like Vanderbilt and how much money they're giving you, I wouldn't even consider Penn, Hopkins, or UNC unless they coughed up a good chunk of money (and to be clear, they might).

Reactions: 1 users
Tennessean here. From what you said, Vandy would be a great bet. I’ll say that Vanderbilt is in a great location and Nashville is a super fun place to live in your 20s. Its definitely a very liberal leaning city if you’re worried about that at all. The sense of community isn’t just a med school thing. The greater Vandy community is incredible. I hope whatever you choose works out!