MD Horrible start, but better finish.. Any input would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwanttobeadoctor93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a Junior who is constantly having an internal conflict pertaining to the matters of the new or current MCAT. I began studying for the current one, so we will see how that goes. I plan on applying at the end of this year. I really do not want to take a year off.. That being said, here are my qualifications..

I am a biology and psychology major. My freshmen year in college was a nightmare. My grades ranging from C's to B's to very very few A's. I got B's in and C's in my general Biology and psychology classes. My sophomore year was a different story. A's in ALL my upper level science courses including Genetics, Cell bio, Orgo I and II, physics II, ect.

Right now my cGPA rests at a 3.64, hoping to bring it up to a 3.7 by the end of my Junior year. I am very thankful for the fact that my trend is great.. but I am not sure how much schools value trends. I feel they would rather have an applicant who has always been on top of their game, rather than one who messed up and took nearly a year to learn from the mistakes committed.

My EC are as follows:

100+ hours at a hospital (transporting patients, getting them water, ext)
500+ hours volunteer working in the construction of community centers
100+ hours shadowing MD
Taught a religious sunday school class to young kids on a weekly basis
Served as a translator for the professor, to the class in higher level sunday school classes
Global Brigades Medical trip to Panama
Teach ACT Math to a class of 15 students
Intensive Medical Internship in Turkey
Out Reach Coordinator for a non profit organization (directed to first generation americans getting internships in business, medicine, engineering, and politics in multiple countries over seas)
I organize weekly youth nights for high school students to play basketball, amongst other things, directed towards cultural assimilation.

I do Research in biophysics at my school in Chicago, where i presented my work both at my schools research symposium, and also CAURS (Chicago Area Undergraduate Research Symposium)

I also spent the summer of 2014 doing Medical Research at Yale Med in the department of virology, where I hope to publish my findings as Co-author soon on my work on HIV-1. My PI has extended me an offer to go down to New Haven again and work on a similar project next summer.

I serve as a research assistant in Cognitive and Neuroscience Lab, where i work with patients suffering from depression and administer EEG scans.

I am the recipient of a couple fellowships as well.

As for my MCAT score.... I do not know. (terrified).

I have spoken to many people, and they point out the number one thing holding me back.. my GPA. Especially the fact that I have 3 C's, all of which are in my science classes during my freshmen year.

Should I consider DO? Will schools value the trend? I don't know. Any help or insight will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.