Hot Topics in ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone:

What is the new fascianation in ENT! What is the future and what is the most cutting edge and forefront research topics in the field. What are academicians gettign excited about these days in terms of research. What's making news and headlines in our field?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone:

What is the new fascianation in ENT! What is the future and what is the most cutting edge and forefront research topics in the field. What are academicians gettign excited about these days in terms of research. What's making news and headlines in our field?

Surgical Excitement - It seems to me that the most excitement being generated in surgery these days regards minimally invasive techniques. Whether they are better or not still has a lot yet to be determined. But min invasive techniques for thyroid, parathryoid, salivary gland, and laryngeal cancer techniques utilizing endoscopic equipment +/- lasers is what you hear the most about. Additionally, techniques like balloon sinuplasty, endoscopic facial trauma repair, endoscopic mandibular fx repair are all where you see the biggest noise. Robotics have started to make a splash but only in a few select centers, cost is prohibitive to be exploding everywhere up to this point. You will also see new options in image guided temporal bone surgery which is relatively new. One of the best things about ENT is that technology drives the field, so when something new is out there, someone finds a way to apply it for possible surgical options in our field. It really makes surgery fun.

Clinical/Research - Here the big thing is and will likely always be cancer. Unfortunately, despite all we've done, we haven't really improved overall survival for HNSCCa in the last 30 years. It's pretty disappointing, but the advances in surgical technique as well as adjuvant therapy have really improved morbidity which has helped significantly enhance quality of life for many patients. Tinnitus research (boring as all get at for me) is making recent strides especially with the German advances in magnetic stimulation. Sinus surgery always seems to be evolving. The latest and greatest is the enhanced use of IGS which has now been around for some time and is finding more and more of an audience so that more advanced skull base surgery is performed. In the lab, there have been nice advances in understanding genetic and even molecular roles in cancer which will hopefully one day improve treatment. Hearing has also undergone enormous amounts of research and improvement in implantable hearing aids, whether middle ear devices or cochlear implants or even the BAHA have made big strides.

In Pediatrics - distraction osteogenesis has become a useful option in the treatment of some congenital disorders.
In general ENT - new techniques for the treatment of OSA including BOT coblation has hinted at a significant paradigm shift in how to treat the hypopharyngeal level.
In Laryngology - digital strobe and "chip at the tip" scopes have dramatically redefined how we can clinically evaluate and treat upper aerodigestive disorders.

I could go on and on, but this is long enough. The great thing about ENT is that everywhere you look there have been exceptional advances that allow for better diagnosis and if not better, at least broader, options in care.

Hey everyone:

getting ready for interviews, huh? ;) just kidding.

I have no idea what's on the cutting edge but checking the journals is always a decent place to start. ENT is broad as hell for lack of a better term, so it has multiple areas that will always offer their own new advances and research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Different programs are excited about different things. Where I was at before entering private practice, they were big into researching:

-cochlear implants
-tinnitus retraining
-pediatric genetic hearing loss
-cystic hygroma treatment
-translational cancer research (over my head)
-quality of life of cancer patients

It was focused on mainly bench (basic science) work going on, with very few RCT's.

There was very little sinus, sleep apnea, or vestibular research going on.

I think that hot topics in ENT at future will be :
*Approach to Endoscopic and Cellular surgery (on INNER ear)
*Gene therapy and stem cell transplantation for SNHL
*Early detection of cancer
*Tissue culture for Repair
New drugs for Rhinitis
Advanced intralabyrhitin surgery ( micro robots?? )

conservation laryngeal surgery has been around for years and waxes and wanes in popularity. Currently, there has been a recent increase in interest using endoscopic laser techniques.

As far as an artificial larynx goes, that already exists as well. Voice prostheses have been used for laryngectomy patients for years. Most studies are showing that better results occur when placed primarily rather than secondarily as they have historically been done.

conservation laryngeal surgery has been around for years and waxes and wanes in popularity. Currently, there has been a recent increase in interest using endoscopic laser techniques.

As far as an artificial larynx goes, that already exists as well. Voice prostheses have been used for laryngectomy patients for years. Most studies are showing that better results occur when placed primarily rather than secondarily as they have historically been done.

I think I'm more interested in replacement vocalis muscle (or other replacements of the other muscles for vocal output) rather than electrolarynx-type replcaements. I've worked with laryngectomee clients to help them with "voice tx" for that. Those voice prostheses are so drone-sounding. Seems like with the advent of new technology left and right someone might hopefully develop an "actual" artifical larynx (equipped with artificial cricoid, thyroid cartilage, etc.) rather than something held to the throat.

Just a thought. I haven't really looked to see if this is being worked on.

I've seen robotic models of the larynx that are terrible at reproducing voice and that are entirely incapable at this point of implantation anyway. Mostly this is just robotics nerd stuff from CalTech or MIT I've seen in things like Popular Mechanics/Science.

Reinnervation of vocalis muscle is under heavy scrutiny as is all the intrinsic laryngeal muscles. Some animal models do show promise, but I don't know of anyone doing anything like that for laryngectomy patients, only for RLN paralysis with intact larynges.

I've seen robotic models of the larynx that are terrible at reproducing voice and that are entirely incapable at this point of implantation anyway. Mostly this is just robotics nerd stuff from CalTech or MIT I've seen in things like Popular Mechanics/Science.

Reinnervation of vocalis muscle is under heavy scrutiny as is all the intrinsic laryngeal muscles. Some animal models do show promise, but I don't know of anyone doing anything like that for laryngectomy patients, only for RLN paralysis with intact larynges.

Thanks! I was curious about that. You were a big help to me! :thumbup:

Would appreciate if anyone could help me find some new/interesting things for research/presentation purposes within the realm of general ENT?