Hotels in NY for NYU and Columbia Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasPrincess

MS 4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing at Columbia in November and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for affordable but safe hotels around the Columbia medical campuses. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should try Priceline. 3 stars can be found for good prices if you name your own price.

NYU is in a very safe area. Union Square is close with lots of restaurants, bars, shopping and younger crowds. Fun area to go out and have a few drinks.

Columbia is in Harlem, and certain areas of Harlem aren't quite as safe. Consider staying in the Upper West Side, below 96th street and catching the subway or a cab.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions regarding NYC.

I'm interviewing at NYU and Columbia in November and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for affordable but safe hotels around the NYU and Columbia medical campuses. I'm looking at a price range of less than $175 per night. Is this even feasible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I was wondering the same. I was trying to see if I'd stay near columbia and commute to nyu or vice versa??
mdqueen

Members don't see this ad :)
Its certainly cheaper to stay closer to Columbia, try looking for something in the Upper West Side. Commuting to NYU via public transportation may take 30 - 50 minutes. A cab would be much faster and cost between $12 - $16.

Staying around NYU would be more fun though. =)

Yeah, I was wondering the same. I was trying to see if I'd stay near columbia and commute to nyu or vice versa??
mdqueen

In Columbia's email, they mentioned Bard Hall for $90 per night. Sound like a res hall, but whatever works. Or maybe that was the problem.

In Columbia's email, they mentioned Bard Hall for $90 per night. Sound like a res hall, but whatever works. Or maybe that was the problem.

I took them up on the offer to stay at Bard Hall for my interview. I think it was a really great choice, especially for someone like me who had never been to NYC before. the suite (yes, a suite!) is indeed in the med student dorm but was really nice and clean (had it's own bathroom and even a living room with cable TV!), and I only had a 5 minute walk to the interview. And you get a free pass to use the gym in the same building.

find a hotel in NJ and commute into the city. Plenty of nice hotels in like teaneck, bergen co area.. on route 17.